WWE Snark-Free Zone

Psybolt

sad news. Road Warriors were one of my favorite teams back in the day. their battles with midnight express, Rock and Roll Express etc were great. Saw them live a couple times, once in battle with Barbarian and Warlord (when Hawk was the small fast guy in the match, you know there is a lot of beef on the hoof in the ring) and another with one of the coolest endings to a texas stampede battle royal. they were last 2, flipped coin and Hawk went and jumped over the ropes. Loved that they, probably by script but don't care, had friendship over winning.

56 minutes ago, Trencher said:

Is that legal in USA, they are independent contractors are they not?

I know they probably signed a contract of some kind but would not a contract like this be illigal?

It appears from the story that it is a case of "if you want to work for us, you can't moonlight or otherwise make money on the side".

That would be a perfectly legal requirement on the company's part.

What they're doing, however, appears to be "you can moonlight and still work for us but we want a cut of your side-money". I would guess the legality of that would vary according to the labor laws of the state where the WWE is incorporated or where they do most of their business.

One of the talent could file a labor complaint, in theory, in any state where they make a WWE appearance. But the WWE would immediately cut ties with them and there's no guarantee that the complaint would produce any results. Or even if the state ruled in their favor that the state wouldn't just issue a fine then keep the money for themselves rather than giving it to the person who filed the complaint.

I am not arguing against you Archer I am just flabbergasted by the sheer evil on display here by the WWE.

I get its legal if they were employees. But they are independent contractors and artists at that. So they cant do side gigs?

In any case them not outlawing it but wanting a cut is what really makes this immoral. 

Either its damaging to your brand or its not. This is extortion. "You want to keep your job, you better give us the money from your other job.."

I usually fall for temptation and rent the network when Royal Rumble times comes around and then unsub when they do something that make me loose interest. (Causal fan until I die!)

But not this time. 

1 hour ago, Trencher said:

I am not arguing against you Archer I am just flabbergasted by the sheer evil on display here by the WWE.

I get its legal if they were employees. But they are independent contractors and artists at that. So they cant do side gigs?

In any case them not outlawing it but wanting a cut is what really makes this immoral. 

Either its damaging to your brand or its not. This is extortion. "You want to keep your job, you better give us the money from your other job.."

I usually fall for temptation and rent the network when Royal Rumble times comes around and then unsub when they do something that make me loose interest. (Causal fan until I die!)

But not this time. 

Well, yeah, it's unethical. That sort of part of the WWE brand. :D 

I haven't been a hardcore fan for years. My wife didn't want it on in the house when we had kids around so I got out of the habit of watching. 

There's plenty of other wrestling leagues in the US, some of them paying good money. I get the impression that some of the other leagues intentionally send some of their wrestlers to the WWE for a couple of years then bring them back, hoping some of their WWE audience follows them.

So you don't HAVE to work for EVIL, Incorporated. It's just usually a good career move.

1 hour ago, Trencher said:

Well, the WWE arguably is what is making the talent famous. The WWE is paying money to advertise and otherwise promote them. The talent wouldn't be a talent if not for the platform the WWE is giving them.

I'm not arguing that the WWE is correct. But I can see how a greedy company might think the talent owes them money to compensate them for the costs of making them famous.

Since about 2008, although the downward spiral started about 2003-4.  First of all, with the internet wrestling has lost the mystique and ability to shock that it once had.  Also, lack of competition and removing each wrestler's individual character input has created a bland show as well as bland promos.

Although, all cable tv ratings are down across the board and will continue to go down thanks to all the incredible streaming television out there.  There's just so much to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hell in a Cell results that really matter

Randy Orton defeated Drew McIntyre to become RAW champion.

Sasha Banks beat Bayley to become Smackdown champion

The Miz beat Otis to take the Money in the Bank suitcase. This seems the worst decision as they broke up the tag team and are now stripping the guy of a genuine accomplishment.

On 10/26/2020 at 5:54 PM, death tribble said:

Hell in a Cell results that really matter

Randy Orton defeated Drew McIntyre to become RAW champion.

Sasha Banks beat Bayley to become Smackdown champion

The Miz beat Otis to take the Money in the Bank suitcase. This seems the worst decision as they broke up the tag team and are now stripping the guy of a genuine accomplishment.

I dunno, jobbing out a popular face to Randy Orton AGAIN seems like a pretty crappy decision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Twilight said:

I'd question the point of ever letting Orton win the title but then, I'm notoriously anti Orton.

Agreed. I have only ever heard bad things from behind the scenes on him.

As opposed to (something I posted in what have you watched recently):

Also caught, what I guess was the last episode of The Last Ride, basically history of Mark Callaway (Undertaker) as he prepared for 2020 Wrestlemania and after. I always liked his dedication to the character and had heard good things, but given the number of people on there who said how much he was loved and how respectful he was, I was even more impressed. He basically worked out and came back because of feeling terrible about the match he put Roman Reigns over on WM in 2018 (to the extent that he didnt talk to Roman for a year because he figured Roman felt let down by it), and I was impressed for the 2019 one that Cena not only put him over, but allowed it to basically be almost a squash match (but then I have always thought Cena had class). And, at 55, stepped in for the graveyard match against AJ Styles and they had an amazing match, which most of was shown in the episode I saw, allowing Mark to ride of on his harley at end. Wasn't shown in this episode, but his match against Michaels in 2010 was still one of my favorite matches I have seen.

The 1997 matches the Undertaker had with Steve Austin at In Your House and 2 with Shawn Michaels at In Your House, the second of which is the first Hell in a Cell are worth searching out.  Of the latter Ground Zero and Badd Blood are the actual names given to them. Ground Zero has the Undertaker run from one set of ropes to the other and then dive over them onto wrestlers who have had to separate him and Shawn.  

No changes from Survivor Series. Champions battled champions with Reigns beating McIntyre, Banks beat Asuka, Lashley beat Zayn and the Street Profits beat the New Day. Team Raw won both the Women and Men's matches. There was a clean sweep in the men's match and Lana was the last survivor after a double countout between two of the other wrestlers in the Women's match.

The Undertaker said his farewell in the ring.

The one change that COULD have taken place was The Miz cashing in the Money in the Bank briefcase. But they refrained from that.