Dieselpunk?

tkdguy

Re: Dieselpunk?

I usually associate Dieselpunk with stuff in movies like "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow", "The Shadow", and "The Rocketeer". It's also in video games like "Crimson Skies" and "Bioshock", It's pulp, with Art Deco flourishes, and a focus on machines. Try the following links for a few more ideas:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DieselPunk

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/12/dieselpunk.html

JoeG

Guest steamteck

OT I really hate that the term "punk" gets applied to these genres I really like. Maybe punk means something different to my generation but I can't imagine why anything would want to be "punk". seems to imply a lack style at the very very least.

OT I really hate that the term "punk" gets applied to these genres I really like. Maybe punk means something different to my generation but I can't imagine why anything would want to be "punk". seems to imply a lack style at the very very least.

I believe that punk as used as a suffix is meant to compare it to the revolutionary ideas and concepts that were well known for punk culture and music. Basically, it means to divert away from the norm of whatever the prefix is meant as and create a new sub-culture.

I believe that punk as used as a suffix is meant to compare it to the revolutionary ideas and concepts that were well known for punk culture and music. Basically' date=' it means to divert away from the norm of whatever the prefix is meant as and create a new sub-culture.[/quote']That is an interesting and rational take on the subject.

• 2 months later...

I just found this:

The tenets of dieselpunk culture

wow, i09 runs some if the stupidest articles. Their one on Steampunk is crap too.

Dieselpunk - not a subculture I get very much into. But I always thought of it as a post-pulp world where the cold war never kicked up. Also, the Love & Rockets comic always had a kind of dieselpunk feel to it in some parts.

Everything I have ever seen called dieselpunk was just Pulp. Pulp was never restricted to the 30's. All the examples in this thread are straight up Pulp.
Yes, but the phrase Dieselpunk is so much more kewl and appealing to the younger audiences. In fact, adding punk after just about anything makes it kewl and edgy. Indeed, this works so well that I am now changing Everyman skills to Everypunk skills.

:)

Yes, but the phrase Dieselpunk is so much more kewl and appealing to the younger audiences. In fact, adding punk after just about anything makes it kewl and edgy. Indeed, this works so well that I am now changing Everyman skills to Everypunk skills.

:)

:rofl:

Everything I have ever seen called dieselpunk was just Pulp. Pulp was never restricted to the 30's. All the examples in this thread are straight up Pulp.

I've always expected and seen Dieselpunk taken beyond that era and into the modern age. Sometimes even into post-apocalyptic themes, to which one can add the Mad Max series as Dieselpunk.

• 6 months later...

Continuing the OT: The only thing that bugs me more than adding "punk" to everything is how the media adds "gate" to every scandal thanks to Watergate. You'd think they'd have more imagination than that.

More on Punkgate when we return after this break...

Taken another way, you could rejoice at the new work in your particular genre even if it is under a new name.

“But why rename it at all? What was wrong with just calling it pulp (or whatever)?”

a.) Creative producers want to put their marks upon the artistic environment. Renaming a genre as whateverpunk is one way to do so. It allows them to mark a work as their own even though they stand on the shoulders of giants.

b.) People are general unaware of the cyclical nature of human culture and are equally unaware of the forbearers of any particular cultural element. Pulp (or whatever) is no longer in the limelight and therefore doesn’t register on our cultural landscape. The creators of the new whateverpunk are unaware of the precedents and perhaps even the name of the old genre, even though they’ve been infused with it through cultural osmosis.

c.) It is a savvy rebranding move to draw new consumers into a genre that, by its old name, said consumers would have avoided.

d.) Kids are stupid.

e.) There is sufficient difference between the old genre and the new whateverpunk that the distinction is warranted.

Take your pick.

I can dig your complaint about inferring a degree of grubbiness from the punk appellation. I’m not necessary sure it applies to all whateverpunks though.