Dieselpunk?

tkdguy

Re: Dieselpunk?

So I'm guessing we've completely discussed the subject of dieselpunk and now all that remains is the conflict between curmudgeons who so despise the word "punk" they dismiss anything with a -punk suffix out of hand and youth who are less interested in dieselpunk than in trying to explain that times have changed, so get over it? I'd like to see/hear more on the original topic and perhaps if the Not-Punk-but-Pulp crowd would oblige, they could move that discussion to another thread?

You forgot those of use who have no feeling about a -"punk" suffix other than using it as a way to be sarcastic and smarmy. :)

I actually am somewhat interested in both Steampunk and Dieselpunk. I am less interested in Cyberpunk but that is because I believe the first two I mentioned almost seemed designed from the ground up to be gaming genres while the latter is a literary genre that folks have tried to pigeonhole into a gaming genre. The end results of which have been mixed, at best.

Steampunk was a literary genre before it was gaming! I will send Jeter around to hit you with a dirigible!

P.S. - the first Steampunk book was Morlock Nights.

You want unnecessary suffixes? Try music:

Trancecore

Hardcore

Speedcore

Terrorcore

Noisecore

Bitcore

Splittercore

Doomcore

Breakcore

and yet, I can identify all of them.

The War Wheel is dieselpunk. (Warning: NSFW Language)

Likewise the huge amount of uncompleted and/or rumored advanced projects the Nazis had going by the end of that conflict means there's a long list of fantastic contraptions the heroes (pulp, superheroic or other) may encounter in a dieselpunk setting. I'd go so far as to say that keeping dirigibles in play for very long after the Hindenberg should've dampened everyone's enthusiasm for all things dirigible to the point that the word "Blimp" had to be coined to distinguish them from those other, highly-flammable vehicles, (pauses for breath) counts as dieselpunk, along with battleship-sized supertanks, rocket packs and flying saucers. Yes, it's pulp, but with a bit of modern perspective brought into the creative process.

Wasn't the War Wheel shown in an episode of JLA (the one where they end up in WWII Europe)? and IIRC, the term "blimp" was coined before the Hindenburg's explosion.

Blimp

I think there were some War Wheels in an episode I can't remember well except they went back in time and fought in WWII. About the blimp, I guess I should use more smileys next time?

• 2 weeks later...

Pulp and steampunk overlap, but "pulp" is usually used to refer to action/adventure stories of the era, and imitators of said stories, while Dieselpunk is less about how stories of the actual time portrayed advanced technology than it is about taking interwar technology and assuming it gets super capable. For example you'd never a gasoline powered giant robot in actual pulp. Their giant robots would be battery or atomic powered. Likewise Barsoom's aerial vessels don't go chug-chug-chug...

That's a cool video, SSgt Baloo!

Now let's talk submarines.

It's a sad story whenever a vessel sinks with all hands. Cool sub, though! :thumbup: Repped.

Didn't France have a "battlecruiser submarine" with two turrets prior to WWII?

More examples of dieselpunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJQdkB0t8T4

When I was growing up there was a copper or brass ashtray that sat on our mantelpiece wherever we lived. It was a souvenir of the 1933 World's Fair at Chicago. Dunno which family member obtained it first, or how.

I'm pretty sure some of these cars might qualify as "Dieselpunk"

Not definitive, but I think this has possibilities

Certain aspects of Batman TAS are dieselpunk-flavored

I really liked the art-deco vehicles and settings.