So...if I want to run classic champions (the 6E version)...which books?

Rerednaw

In a separate thread I went into how Foxbat made off with my BBB.

So if all else fails I could take a stab at 6th edition. I took a quick look and was floored...there are now so many books!

Could anyone advise a short list (given my limited budget) of what I need to run a classic champions campaign? The usual villains (think old Enemies), UNTIL, VIPER, PSI, Genocide and Doctor Destroyer?

I mean in the old days I went with the Champions box set, Enemies 1-2, and the Island of Dr. Destroyer. So that's a bunch of villains, UNTIL, PSI, VIPER, and Genocide. Eventually I went and bought a ton of the other books...but found I didn't really use them (other than for fun reading). Overall throughout the years my favorite extras were:

Favorite Module: The Great Supervillain Contest. (Island of Dr. Destroyer runner up...I mean it's the classic first module after all)

Favorite Sourcebook: Mind Games. (runner up was Mystic Masters)

Utility/other: The original Heromaker (yes I still have this on floppy! runner up: all the Adventurer's Clubs)

So I hope that's enuff background...what should I pick up? And I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. I may have more come tax return time but not right now... :P

Tanks folks!

Re: So...if I want to run classic champions (the 6E version)...which books?

Heh, I actually liked Heromaker.....

I suppose the short list for the 6e Game, would be Hero System Vol 1+2,Champions, Champions Universe, and the Master Villain Book is out now I think. Then stack in the Hero System Martial Arts Book, the Advanced Players Guide, and the Bestiary, and until the equipment book comes out, You're set.....

Of course, you could just reverse engineer your 4th and 5th ed material which takes all of 36 seconds on a rough day with a head wind, and then just stick with the 6e Vol 1+2.

~Rex

Stock Model: 6E 1 + 2; Champions Genre Book

Radio Upgrade: add in Champions Universe

Pinstriping: add in Advanced Players Guide

Leather Seats: Hero System Martial Arts

Aluminum Rims: Ultimate Base + Champions Powers

Full Stereo System w/ 6 Disc Changer + GPS: Champions Villains Books (1-3) [all three are out in PDF right now, Vol 1 is in hardcopy, Vol 2 is at the printer, Vol 3 is pending printer readiness]

All-Weather Tires: Hero System Equipment Guide (PDF in store now, hardcopy soonish) + Hero System Skills (6E is PDF Only for the moment)

That help?

I would go with the Basic 6th edition rules (Toned down of 6E1 & 6E2, bus sufficent for 90% of gaming needs). And the Champions Genre book as the core of a champions game. The Champions Villain books would be a nice add on.

I would suggest for old school Champions, go with the 2 core books 6e1 and 6e2, and Champions Villains books. This will give you everything you need to run an old school game. The changes from 5 are mostly noted when you make powers. Think about how you would create the power in 5th and just review the powers.

I would strongly suggest though the following books

Ultimate Martial Arts - minor changes and the options of having all the martial arts maneuvers is very useful.

Advanced Players Guide - useful for some of the optional stuff.

Bestiary - if you are gonna need a lot of creatures. Not exactly necessary, but useful especially if you don't want to roll your own.

The other books are nice but not 100% necessary or are genre specific, so you should probably determine that for yourself.