Multi-Dupli-form-cation?

I have a character concept for a 6ed super-hero, and I'm wondering what would be a good way to build it.

Ralph Mellish is a perfectly ordinary man, except that when danger calls, he can split in two. Ordinary Ralph, and one of three Super Guys.

I'm thinking either duplication, with altered duplicates built on more points, or multi-form with the alternate forms having duplication of the normal form.

The key points are Ralph is a normal, with a huge wad of points spent on the one power to spawn the super guys. The super guys can only turn back into Ralph, not directly one to another.

Re: Multi-Dupli-form-cation?

Well, how many points would Ralph be (sans 'multiform') and how many points the others?

It is an interesting idea combining multiform and duplication (although don't forget that you can also build 'altered duplicates' so you may well not need multiform as well)

You may be best off building the most powerful version, with 'altered form' multiform (into two other equally powerful version, plus Ralph) then defining the 'Ralph' version as the base form, even though he may not be paying the cost. I can not see any reasonable GM objecting to that.

Yes i like the idea as well' date=' im going to make my own version of this, a dude who has a civil ID and when he goes hero he will split in 3 different bodies with different powers..[/quote']

haha need to read through the rules more.. just read about elemental man in the example of the dublication power lol.gif

I don't think you'd have to go so far as a multipower. If you get 100% altered duplicates, and more than one, you should be able to make each one different. I'd even go for a -1/4, or -0 limitation on the adder that you can only have one duplicate active at a time (probably -0 if it's only +5 pts for 2 more duplicates).

Ralph would be a "50 pt normal" (or whatever it's called these days), plus whatever the multi-dupli thing ends up costing.

Yes i like the idea as well' date=' im going to make my own version of this, a dude who has a civil ID and when he goes hero he will split in 3 different bodies with different powers..[/quote']

Well, you can't use 3, that's my number. :P

Well' date=' you can't use 3, that's my number. :P[/quote']

well actually my idea was to make a char that splits into the four elements of mankind: fire, stone, chaos and soul,

with soul as the shared mind between the three others(mindlink), the problem is i dont want anyone of the elementals to be the original body

and i dont have a clue how to go about it =(

This is similar to my character "The Swarm"

He was mostly normal, only two powers. Duplicate and Mind Link.

The dupes were 100% different, of which he made 8 "Generals"

The 8 Generals spawned 16 "Lieutenants"

The 16 Lieutenants spawned 32 Drones. Drones were created in different classifications... strong drones (20 str), zap drones (2d6 EB), sticky drones (2d6 entangle) stealth drones (invisibility), aid drones (2d6 aid)

All drones were bought with 2 levels of shrinking and teamwork skill.

All dupes were bought with resurrection healing (they are made of protoplasm and will eventually reform over time)

All dupes had 0 Int and 0 Ego and could only accept instructions via Mind Link, making the main PC in charge of 4120 duplicates... hence the 'Swarm' name. It was common during this game to have 256 drones swarming around at any given time. Oh, and the PC was a Meglomaniac (I thought it would be appropriate)

This is similar to my character "The Swarm"

He was mostly normal, only two powers. Duplicate and Mind Link.

The dupes were 100% different, of which he made 8 "Generals"

The 8 Generals spawned 16 "Lieutenants"

The 16 Lieutenants spawned 32 Drones. Drones were created in different classifications... strong drones (20 str), zap drones (2d6 EB), sticky drones (2d6 entangle) stealth drones (invisibility), aid drones (2d6 aid)

All drones were bought with 2 levels of shrinking and teamwork skill.

All dupes were bought with resurrection healing (they are made of protoplasm and will eventually reform over time)

All dupes had 0 Int and 0 Ego and could only accept instructions via Mind Link, making the main PC in charge of 4120 duplicates... hence the 'Swarm' name. It was common during this game to have 256 drones swarming around at any given time. Oh, and the PC was a Meglomaniac (I thought it would be appropriate)

must've given your GM alot of gray hairs doing the fights=)

must've given your GM alot of gray hairs doing the fights=)

Heh, yea. He had to scale up the levels of conflict exponentially to account for my various squadrons moving around the city. I gotta say, Swarm did disrupt the balance of the game, but the GM adjusted very well and the other PCs enjoyed the insanity it created.

So was the base character paying for *all* the duplicates, i.e. one duplicate and 255 more. Or was he only paying for the original 8, and then each other one also had duplication? Because that's one of the things the power description specifically says you should do, IIRC.

Oh, and I've almost got my character(s) done. I decided to give the base character a few defenses as well, so he wouldn't be instantly splatted. The others are mostly done, just need a little tweaking. Based on the Superhero Gallery characters for the most part. I'll be posting them in the Champions forum, not here though.

So was the base character paying for *all* the duplicates, i.e. one duplicate and 255 more. Or was he only paying for the original 8, and then each other one also had duplication? Because that's one of the things the power description specifically says you should do, IIRC.

Oh, and I've almost got my character(s) done. I decided to give the base character a few defenses as well, so he wouldn't be instantly splatted. The others are mostly done, just need a little tweaking. Based on the Superhero Gallery characters for the most part. I'll be posting them in the Champions forum, not here though.

The base form paid for the 8 Generals only. Each general bought 16 Lieutenants, etc.

I look foreword to seeing your character!

Really, I think the base form should be paying for all the duplicates - although that would only be +45 points; affordable given that the base form doesn't really need any other abilities.

Of course, OTOH, the duplicates could buy Summon instead, so I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

Well, I guess there's a reason Duplication/Summoning are stop-sign abilities. ;)

OK, new challenge. The vampire Salicia from _Thud_ by Terry Pratchett. Since she is a "black ribboner" (sworn off human blood), she is having problems with her "changing into a bat" vampire ability. Instead of changing into *a* bat, she can't handle the excess mass transference, and has to change into a number of bats equal to her weight (say, 30 or 40 normal bats). This has some advantages, as she can be in more than one place at a time, split up to search an area quickly, etc. It's also got drawbacks, the bats aren't as smart as she is (but not 1/30 as smart, maybe 1/2 or 1/3). Sometimes one of them will get lost and wander off and the rest of them have to track it down before she can change back. Also, when she changes her clothes just fall off, so a couple of the bats have to remember to carry along her clothes, or she has to find some wherever she is when she changes back.