Increasing Damage Attack

Re: Increasing Damage Attack

Hello!

I'm in a game with a 30 active point limit. I would like to create a power like a heat ray that hits a target and then the damage increases as long as the ray is targeted.

Any ideas how to build this? Cumulative cannot be put on attack powers that do body and stun...

Thanks!

Do you mean that the attack does increasing damage per phase? Or do you mean that it keeps damaging the target after the initial hit roll, aka Continuous?

Do you mean that the attack does increasing damage per phase? Or do you mean that it keeps damaging the target after the initial hit roll' date=' aka Continuous?[/quote']

Increasing damage per phase. I figure Continuous will have to be in the power framework somehow though, but its not quite what I have in mind. I want the damage to increase progressively.

Damage over time. Buy a lot of increments and then talk to the GM about how the damage affect the target in that the first damage does standard the second does 2 increments worth, the third does 3 increments worth and so on. I would image getting GM approval for it depending on the effect you want could be difficult however the Changing the Damage Rate (6e1, page 329) sounds like what you want.

Damage over time. Buy a lot of increments and then talk to the GM about how the damage affect the target in that the first damage does standard the second does 2 increments worth' date=' the third does 3 increments worth and so on. I would image getting GM approval for it depending on the effect you want could be difficult however the Changing the Damage Rate (6e1, page 329) sounds like what you want.[/quote']

I haven't upgraded to 6e yet, and the game is in 5e currently. Mind elaborating on what "Changing the Damage Rate" is?

When you buy DoT (and mind you this is 6e, I don't have 5e books to tell you if this is different) you buy a number of damage increments and a duration between increments. So if you bought 10 increments and bought the time between to be one turn then the every turn the target would take the power's damage and the increment would reduce by one until it is stopped or reaches zero.

Using the above you get GM approval to change the Damage Rate so that the increments still go off every Turn however instead of it only being one increment worth of damage it slowly increases. On the first time the DoT goes off the target takes the standard effect and the increment is reduced by one, the next turn they take x2 and the increment is reduced by another two (for a total of 3, leaving 7 left). This would continue for then next two turns were the target would take x3 damage for the Turn 3 and finishing with a large x4 (4 increments worth) at Turn 4.

In both you still buy 10 increments of DoT and still buy Time between increments however the second requires that you talk to the GM and get approval for exactly how the increments are applied to the power. So if this way is what you want you will need to hammer out the details with the GM to determine how best to apply it.

For a single attack that gets deadlier each phase, try using an Aid that is linked to your Continuous attack power. Upon your initial attack, you will do the base damage, then you add the character points in Aid to the power. This method would probably bring you over the 30 AP cap.

The other suggested option is to use a Continuous attack that does damage over time. Each phase you can add more damage that is done, but with this version the defenses of the target get subtracted from each attack each time the power goes off.

A power with both Continuous and Damage Over Time would do this. For instance:

Phase 1: 1d6 from 1st instance

Phase 2: 1d6 from 1st, 1d6 from 2nd

Phase 3: 1d6 from 1st, 1d6 from 2nd, 1d6 from 3rd

... and so forth.

The issue is, as cptpatriot mentioned, the target will get defenses for each instance, even if you get the "Defense Only Apply Once" advantage on DoT. The solution could be as simple as an AVAD (NND) attack, or Penetrating.

Also, for streamlined use, you'll want to set the DoT interval equal to how often you act, so that the damage increases smoothly instead of a mess of overlapping increments.

Example: Gray-Goo Bomb

RKA 1d6, AVAD(NND, defense is force field, electrified surface, or exotic composition). Does Body, Damage Over Time (4x, every 3 segments), Continuous, Uncontrolled, Charges (1 continuing charge lasting 1 turn), Area of Effect (4m Radius)

NOTE: Damage is 1d6, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 3d6, 2d6, 1d6

Alternately, if the GM allows it, applying DoT twice may be a more consistent way to achieve this result (since then the ramp up will be independent of your SPD). In that case, you would build the above as:

RKA 1d6, AVAD(NND, defense is force field, electrified surface, or exotic composition). Does Body, Damage Over Time (4x, every 3 segments), Damage Over Time (4x, every 3 segments), Charges (1 charge), Area of Effect (4m Radius)