Tropes Revisited: Beautiful Female Martial Artist. Ideas sought

death tribble

Re: Tropes Revisited: Beautiful Female Martial Artist. Ideas sought

One more model for a beautiful female martial artist just came to my mind: a clown' date=' using slapstick martial arts (aka Stooge-Fu). Put her in the big floppy shoes, a frilly pink dress with purple polka dots, white gloves, makeup, and a bright green mullet wig, ready to Do Her Thing with a rubber chicken in each hand.[/quote']

OK sure, but that is not really a common - or even uncommon - trope. It is more a product of your fevered imagination ;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more model for a beautiful female martial artist just came to my mind: a clown' date=' using slapstick martial arts (aka Stooge-Fu). Put her in the big floppy shoes, a frilly pink dress with purple polka dots, white gloves, makeup, and a bright green mullet wig, ready to Do Her Thing with a rubber chicken in each hand.[/quote']

You have an odd definition of "beautiful."

Their sport may not be the first martial art that comes to mind' date=' but fencers are hot.

When I think of "beautiful female martial artist," for some reason I picture a Chinese woman with hip-length white hair.

For a costume that is neither bikini nor classic martial arts "uniform," I'd suggest tight leather pants and a halter top, both black.

This was actually a mage, but someone could actually fight in this outfit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=33469

The ladies from the matrix wore leather coats over leather pants and shirts.

Most girl fighters that I have seen from animation and managa tend to wear school uniforms, school uniform based costumes, or something close to a uniform for a job. (Kigome, Sailor Moon, power rangers)

Sometimes the style makes the uniform.

CES

I had an idea for Japanese schoolgirl Hero and she wore a blazer and knee length skirt

Other tropes -- long hair, form-fitting clothing, flowing sleeves, sash for a belt, knee-high boots. Glasses option, but would be a nice touch.

Also, formal samurai court dress modded up into a supers costume would be a pretty cool concept.

Phoenix Fist from the 4th Ed. Dark Champions book "Murderers' Row" might work as an example. Attractive with a sense of pragmatism in her outfit.

shenhua.jpg

There's always Shenhua

db-1.png

I recently did a drawing for a female vampire martial artist called Death Blossom. She has pale skin and wears a traditional chinese fighters tunic and trousers along with sandels. I haven't done any background on her, but I'm leaning towards Chinese-American.

There are multiple "trope" outfits:

The Chun-Li look; bare thighs, g-string with hint of a miniskirt of kimono with the "bun", cleavage, etc.

The Black Leather Bad Ass: Tight, black leather, possibly a utility belt or bandoleer, weapons, etc. Think Black Widow or Electra.

The True Martial Artist: Gi (sexy or no), cloth belt, simple shoes or bare footed, etc.

Other alternates might be the School Girl, the tight pants and halter top mentioned above, etc.

Personally, I prefer the Black Widow look, myself.

Long black dress and stiletto heels

If you want to go against the grain of utilitarian or cheesecake-y looks' date=' perhaps the brightly colored flowing robes from [i']Hero[/i] would be good inspiration:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37747[/ATTACH]

Or while I'm on a Zhang Ziyi kick, perhaps something ornate like in House of Flying Daggers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37748[/ATTACH]

Well, for something different from other have been suggesting ...

LialaAli.jpg

Some of my faves:

A few more:

I strongly suggest a cheongsam--the form-fitting chinese-style dress with the stand-up collar (as seen here: http://www.bychinese.com/chinese-cheongsam-qipao.html)

They're elegant, show off the figure but don't have to reveal a lot of skin, and come in a galaxy of colors and patterns. With slits on the side to permit our martial artist to do high kicks and leaps, it's good to go.

Black cargo pants. Black tshirt. Black 8in tactical boots. A little SWAT' date=' maybe, but it would [i']hurt[/i] when she kicked you in the head with those.

If you have to choose just one great look to represent "beautiful female martial artist", IMHO I think you'd really want to go with Chinese. There are many great martial arts from around the world, and of course anyone with time and talent can learn them. But probably the premiere one that most captures the trope would be China and Kung Fu.

It's a whole movie industry!

That's just if you're specifically trying to do a "trope". Which I think implies a little of archtype or cliche. Like a language of short-hands. Other ideas are awesome too, but the more unique you get, the less trope-ish it is.

Along those lines, for the beautiful part the cheongsam or qipao dress looks fantastic. With slits for dramatic kicks, of course. A female in one of those, in a dramatic martial arts pose, conveys the trope right away.

At least in a Hong Kong Theater kind of way, which is neat and fun. Just a thought.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37766[/ATTACH]

This would have to be my pick. Smart and practical. You'd have no idea how much trouble you'd been in till it was over and you were counting stars.

pencil.png

Here are a few female American Indian pics I had on my computer...

right now my favorite is Renee Montoya's version of "The Question" very simple and elegant well tailored normal cloaths and a freaky mask

alternatively something historical might be fun swashbuckling female swords-woman, pulp era two fisted adventures maybe a gladiatrix or Amazon.

alternatively perhaps going with a less well used warrior culture i know Storn's already done Zulu power armour or i woudl suggest that.

perhaps nepalese ghurkagirl or Sikh Gatka girl with chakram and bundi daggers(actually a really nice option because of all of the unusual martial arts weapons)

for a change of pace from the normal waif fu how about a huge muscular Female Russian Spetnatz with Systema and Sambo for that matter a female USMC gunny using The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program might be fun especially if modled after Second Lieutenant Vanessa James from SGU yum see attached pic)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37772[/ATTACH]

Female asian martial artist. Okay, let's see if I can get my brain working. Not sure if it will take redbull, kerosene, or maybe just another iced tea.

Kage (Shadow) - Dressed in a gauzy black shroud-like outfit, the shadows created by this martial artist are what actually strike a blow when she performs her martial motions (ranged martial blows).

Rising Sun - Skin-tight white catsuit, red circle face paint, white hair pulled back into a braid in which are inserted various spikes. She's a hair martial artist, a swing of her mane acting as a whip-like blow or a grapple.

Imouto (Younger Sister) - probably late teens or early twenties, baseball cap with an appropriate cartoon animal emblem (think Pikachu), big bubblegum bubble coming from her lips, fingerless gloves, sleeveless shirt with a bra strap that's slipped down over her arm, a rub-on tattoo on her bicep (probably different each time if she were an ongoing comic book character), Jean shorts, athletic shoes and socks, and possibly a baseball bat or other "pedestrian" object that could be seen as non-martial in normal circumstances.

Neon Dragon - Wearing a one-piece style swimsuit like outfit with knee-high boots but covered over most of her arms and legs by tattoos of various fantastical creatures which alternately glow when she's performing a move (The tiger glows when she's performing a Tiger streak form "tiger martial arts" while a dragon glows when she's doing a leg sweep from Righteous Dragon martial arts, etc.).

Falling Star - a suit of well curved metal armor that, like the above costume, covers her torso like a one-piece swimsuit, with oversized metal cesti on her hands and knee-high metal boots, all crafted from the metal of a fallen meteorite. Silver paint over one eye is in the shape of a star, one ray of which crosses over the other eye and around the side of her head.

Any other ideas that we are missing ?

My clown suggestion was mostly facetious, but this one wasn't:

In my second novel' date=' [i']Realm Hunter: Trail of the Elder Gods[/i]*, there will be a character named Wu Mei-Zhen. She's of mixed Chinese, Madagascari, and European descent**, and has had three enhancement surgeries: one to make her eyes look like a cat's; one to implant a V-shaped ampulla of Lorenzini on her forehead; and one to give her two extra arms. She dresses in a black pantsuit with white blouse (kind of like MiB), and fights with a lightsabre in each hand.

*Not available yet; I'll have to sell enough copies of the first one that I can pay Adam Schmidt to do the cover.

**I picture her as being played by Rachel Luttrell of Stargate: Atlantis.

And what Ranxerox posted could possibly be combined with my first post.

It's going somewhat outside the trope, Bob. And although fencers are to my mind Martial Artists, Jedi are similar are not. It sounds interesting and if you want to enter this design for the next Art to Concept I would definitely consider it. But your Infamous General will be subject to a vote in February as those designs that have failed previously will be given due consideration by the board as a whole.

It's going somewhat outside the trope' date=' Bob. And although fencers are to my mind Martial Artists, Jedi are similar are not. It sounds interesting and if you want to enter this design for the next Art to Concept I would definitely consider it. But your Infamous General will be subject to a vote in February as those designs that have failed previously will be given due consideration by the board as a whole.[/quote']Having a light saber does not necessarily mean that the character is Jedi-like. She's actually more MiB-like, with an unspecified Chinese martial art style.

Nonetheless, you're looking more for superheroic types, and Agent Wu is a sci-fi character, so I'll withdraw my (previous) objection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmm, is it too late to make a suggestion?

Well, if it is, ignore this one. =)

I was thinking of a Malaysian Silat practitioner. High collared sleeveless black shirt and pants, with a colorful sash, which is also a primary weapon. (Sarong/Pareo, etc., perhaps crossing a shoulder*). Other weapons might include kris or parang. Simple, with the sash/sarong adding the color/flavor.

*Shouldn't be worn as primary clothing if used as weapon, obviously. I'm thinking more of an over the shoulder and around the waist thing.

Hmm, is it too late to make a suggestion?

Well, if it is, ignore this one. =)

I was thinking of a Malaysian Silat practitioner. High collared sleeveless black shirt and pants, with a colorful sash, which is also a primary weapon. (Sarong/Pareo, etc., perhaps crossing a shoulder*). Other weapons might include kris or parang. Simple, with the sash/sarong adding the color/flavor.

*Shouldn't be worn as primary clothing if used as weapon, obviously. I'm thinking more of an over the shoulder and around the waist thing.

I'll add that as an option.

Just for completeness' sake' date=' I would suggest Molly Millions. She defined the entire trope of the Street Samurai. No canon imagery, but lots of fan interpretations of her seem to be available.

I read Neuromancer so I know who you are talking about. I thought of her as a more of a cyborg rather than martial artist per se.

I read Neuromancer so I know who you are talking about. I thought of her as a more of a cyborg rather than martial artist per se.

For those of you who haven't, here is a link to her Wikipedia entry.

As to her cyborg status, most definitely. But it wasn't her gear that defined her, it was the "I gotta tussle" part. And when cybernetics are commonly available, most of your opponents have the same advantages, and you're back to training, skill and natural ability being the defining factors. And how many of the previously mentioned characters have magical help of one kind or another?