The Cape - What do you think of it so far?

Steve

Re: The Cape - What do you think of it so far?

Okay, this last episode, Goggles and Hicks pretty much cinched it for me. No matter what my hopes for the show were, there were just too many misses. First of all, the "Who's the hunted" storyline works best when you take a member of a group and split him from the group and/or rob them of their signature power. Since both of those have already been done in just the last couple of episodes, the timing of this one is just not good. Then there was the whole clumsy "firing" scene. The guy is about to hand you some sort of data, you take it. Part of the problem is that Chess is less like a master planner/organizer than he is a rampant psychopath. They've hinted that he has some extraordinary planning skills, but I have just not seen it portrayed convincingly yet. And as much as I like cheesy one liners, the whole "who wears the Cape in the relationship" line almost physically hurt.

This all really sucks, because there was at least some good points. The whole storyline developing with Mrs. Faraday and the new friendship Chip develops were both welcome scenes. I even liked that Vince's mortality is highlighted with the whole broken rib thing. It gave all the other scenes with him fighting a heroic "overcoming his limitation" touch.

This would have been a good season finale type episode where several competing plotlines are all left dangling for the season 2 premiere. Just bad timing and execution all around. I'll continue watching, and enjoying, the show. I just don't expect that it will survive. Not because of some jinx. Because it basically falls far short of being a well written show. Makes me a little sad. The actors are actually doing as well as can be expected considering the crappy writing.

I still blame Glau (Back in the day they used to throw Jonah's like that overboard), but that being said the writing is getting worse and worse. I expect it gone after the episodes are run through. I did notice though that No Ordinary Family is starting to ramp it up a bit. I wonder if the Cape's slow death could be a factor, well that and a bigger name Hero coming down the pipe for at least a season as well.

Shame, coulda had potential if they had approached it with a level of seriousness instead of trying to 4 color it.

~Rex

I still blame Glau
Well nuthin' says we have to agree on that. :)

Shame, coulda had potential if they had approached it with a level of seriousness instead of trying to 4 color it.
Personally I think that the tone was important, only in the fact that they could not settle on one. The thing that damned the show was an apparent lack of superhero/pulp timing knowledge. Or any dramatic timing for that matter. Second the "shame" part though.

I gave up on it with the Dice episode, just YAWWWWN not feeling the love anymore. I appreciated that it was unapologetically a Superhero show, but the writing just wasn't there. The episodes were too self containted without any forward momentum as another poster stated. Comic books have storylines, this show didn't or they weren't trying hard enough. A villain called Chess should be more of a planner, not someone that hits you over the head with a chessboard while cackling maniacally. It's a shame because the actors are good, and the production values are there, it's just bad writing. Checkout No Ordinary Family for slightly better superhero drama.

I'm still enjoying the ride though admittedly there's some plot induced stupidity that boggles the mind. Of course, a lot of it is hope. I've seen some shows bumble around then suddenly pick up in a later season. Some of the Star Trek Franchises come to mind.

Sadly, in this day and age, I don't think The Cape will last long enough to get that chance

Honestly, I can't stand the circus people scenes. I just had to quit watching the most recent installment it was too bad. I mean bad. As best I could tell, some type of revenent villain lich or something at a truck rental is starting a crime wave then, just when it is starting to intrest me the camera cuts away to the 'circus of really bad actors'.

I won't spoil it too much for those who care but if you are expecting a Nina Harper moment from these people, you are sure to be disappointed at the heroin addict moment you get instead.

The 60 Batman reruns may be campy and silly but they always hired the best in the acting field. The penguin, joker and ridler characters for as long as they wanted to work had lead or major supporting roles in other shows. I don't like the script writing or the supporting acting on the cape.

I picked a random episode off of Hulu and was underwhelmed. I realize that I came in in the middle, so to speak, but there was a midget in a circus costume beating on a safe with a hammer. WTF? They seemed to know who the Cape was, but were also criminals, or at least tragically inept safecrackers. There was a pair of supposedly famous assassins, who seemed to live an a cappy old van with questionable hygene, who would not kill the Cape untill they had studied him. Why? Otherwise, headshot, show over. Lame writing, lazy writing. 4/10 at best. Not going to watch the other episodes.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my players did but......it's a bit power gamer orientated, heh. I think it could take down a couple of Kryptonians it's so munchkined out.

Could be worth doing something for though once the definite answer to the cancelation runs through. I've actually liked the last couple of episodes in a cheesy comic book sort of way.

~Rex

Yeah just read that. Lame way to go even M.A.N.T.I.S. got to be eaten by an invisable dinosaur......Show had potential, shame they just couldn't write a script or get the actors to act because there was some good acting talent on that show.

~Rex

Hopefully what's left will resolve some things...I hate being left hanging. I will watch it though, when NBC puts it up. I did generally enjoy the show as a "I don't have to think to hard to watch" show and as a "I don't need to see every episode to enjoy" show. While I do enjoy multi-episode; multi-season story arcs, sometimes I just want to sit for an hour with a good romp. Probably the reason I'm always caught up on shows like Castle, but shows like the Event will sit for months.

• 2 weeks later...

The web episode didn't exactly finish things.

It did for Chess- he still controls Palm City, he's rid of the sometimes defiant (ie trying to do his job) Chief of Police, no one is left alive that can clear Vincent's name, Scales is firmly in prison, and his daughter is clearly having the breakdown that will most likely bring her to his side. For the Cape, not so much...

Bah.....I was hoping for at least a heroic wrap up. This sounds more like they are thinking of Direct to Web or DvD projects for a continuance. Don't think that's in the tea leaves for this show.

~Rex

Extra limbs with focus, CSL's for grabs and such, some MMA, a few Dark Champions era schticks for the Poof and Gone stuff. You could easily modify whip fighting as well. Shouldn't be a hard build.

Just don't forget the 25d6 Unluck, and DNPC Show Killer Summer Glau :D

~Rex