Powerball

quozaxx

I have just created a new Teen Champions on Hero Central.

I want to include a game called Powerball. A ball game that you could use your Powers with. But, I want it to be fair for all player. So the Mentalist would have as much chance of helping a win as a Brick, Speedster, Energy Projector, Metamorph, Gadget User, or Teleporter.

I have visioned a team sport that can be played against other teams and super schools.

I have visioned it using a ball of some sort (hence the name Power"ball").

I don't see why other sports couldn't be used as inspiration for this sport, but I'd still prefer it to be it's own sport.

I have visioned it to be available at the College or Pro level too.

So, I am open to and and all ideas you may have.

:help:

Re: Powerball

First thing which sprang to my mind was potential variations on dodgeball/battleball. I'll go looking for the thread later, but I was involved in a HC game where we played a game of powers-allowed dodge ball in 'our' first gym class... :)

quidditch might be a good model just without the ridiculous scoring system. the seekers are speedster/motion types they have fast moving autonomous ball to try and get before there opposite the beaters who have to protect the rest of the team from the heavy bludgers which target them and redirect them to the other team and the keeper and chaser trying to score the general points you could easily adapt this to a superhero game wit bricks as beaters speedsters forcefield or telekinetics as keepers and energy projectors as the chasers have it so the ball only scores if affected by a super power etc..

one other idea would be dodge ball with the ball taking on the power of the last player struck so if it hits a speedster it becomes super fast a teleporter it start hopping around of its own accord brick it become super dense energy projector burst into flame etc(the ball switches off when it strikes so its safe but you constantly have to adapt your tactics to the balls power)

I'm just typing my random thoughts after reading the above posts so I apologize if it is a bit disjointed.

I picture a game that requires power use but focuses on teamwork. The goal is simple, carry the power ball from point A to point B with opposing teams trying to stop each other and recover the ball. The play field should be as treacherous as the teams can handle. Here's the catch, whoever is touching the ball is rendered powerless and the ball itself is immune to powers (no TK, UAA Teleport, ect.). The ball can be strategically passed (with a normal strength throw) from one teammate to another but whoever is holding the ball is dependent upon the help of his or her teammates. To prevent teams from just dropping the ball and brawling it out, if left untouched for more than a phase, the ball is reset to a neutral location.

[edit]

To expand on the strategy a bit, passing the ball frees up the powers of whoever was holding it making them available when needed. Because the "offense" is essentially down one member (i.e. the ball carrier), direct confrontation will be disadvantageous. When either team brings the ball to the other team's goal a point is scored. Sometimes forcing a reset may be strategically sound, such as the other team is deep in your team's "red zone" and you have a player at the neutral location.

[edit]

As the ball is immune to powers, the carrier cannot just be grabbed and teleported but the carrier can be picked up and flown with or ran with (which leaves the carrier vulnerable to attack because they are being held). Throwing the carrier should pose issues too.

My first instinct is to have it be similar to football, where you try to get the ball to a specified end zone. Of course this part would be very easy for speedsters/teleporters, so to score you have to also KEEP the ball there for a certain period (for Champions, perhaps 6 or 10 or 12 seconds).

Could do it team vs. team, or two teams individually against the same danger room setup and compare how well they do.

While I agree with the Football ideas I'd like to say my football recommendation is generally called Soccer in the states. Set the game in a sphere versus a flat playing surface. The globe could have bars and hand holds along with platforms. Some platforms or changing ground elements may be automated. Bricks can muscle through, agile characters have amble terrain to avoid bricks. The entire playing field is game so mentalists and technopaths can interact with the course as well.

I'm just typing my random thoughts after reading the above posts so I apologize if it is a bit disjointed.

I picture a game that requires power use but focuses on teamwork. The goal is simple, carry the power ball from point A to point B with opposing teams trying to stop each other and recover the ball. The play field should be as treacherous as the teams can handle. Here's the catch, whoever is touching the ball is rendered powerless and the ball itself is immune to powers (no TK, UAA Teleport, ect.). The ball can be strategically passed (with a normal strength throw) from one teammate to another but whoever is holding the ball is dependent upon the help of his or her teammates. To prevent teams from just dropping the ball and brawling it out, if left untouched for more than a phase, the ball is reset to a neutral location.

I really like this idea (though I could see player character heroes trying to "borrow" the ball to use it against foes in actual combat). Repped, good Doc.

I wouldn't make the ball carrier be *completely* powerless, as that could lead to a lot of deaths and serious injuries on the field. I'd say the ball suppresses all offensive and movement powers, as well as relevant Characteristics (STR, SPD, etc.) -- though this would still affect defenses if they're part of a Unified Power.

Just my $0.02.

I wouldn't make the ball carrier be *completely* powerless' date=' as that could lead to a lot of deaths and serious injuries on the field. I'd say the ball suppresses all offensive and movement powers, as well as relevant Characteristics (STR, SPD, etc.) -- though this would still affect defenses if they're part of a Unified Power.[/quote']

I like this idea, though I would remove all powers (including defensive ones) and just add some scale-appropriate armor to the uniform. Less deaths, bricks still shine defensibly, but without unfair defensive advantage while carrying the ball.

Why not base it off PYRAMID from Battlestar Galactica???

You could also create something like Paintball, wherein opposing teams face off on an ever-changing field of play in hopes of being the first to retrieve their opponents marker.

OR you could mush them all together into something resembling Starship Trooper's Jump Ball (Arena Football with Anti-Grav maneuvering)

I would go for a "capture the flag" kind of game on a large obstacle course, except that the flag is mobile and fragile and probably hard to find (a small critter or robot, probably with stealth powers). Each team has to find the "flag" and get it back to their goal without it being damaged (penalties to the team that hurts the flag).

Combat monsters will just stomp the other team, speedsters would try to get in and out quickly, mentalists could mislead the other team while finding the flag themselves, characters with enhanced senses could find the flag more easily, etc. A well-balanced team would have some players running interference while others retrieved the flag.

The obstacles would be varied to give different character types different challenges and could range anywhere from the mundane (walls, chasms, pools of various substances) to hazards like monsters or hunter robots. Depending on the flavor you want, the field could be huge and the flag hard to find, or it could be comparatively small and the flag is just hard to catch.

I really like this idea (though I could see player character heroes trying to "borrow" the ball to use it against foes in actual combat). Repped, good Doc.

I wouldn't make the ball carrier be *completely* powerless, as that could lead to a lot of deaths and serious injuries on the field. I'd say the ball suppresses all offensive and movement powers, as well as relevant Characteristics (STR, SPD, etc.) -- though this would still affect defenses if they're part of a Unified Power.

Just my $0.02.

Good point! I would say that the ball's power suppressing properties are dependent upon the play field so it does not function on its own. As far as danger to the carrier, the "offense" should be eagerly protecting them and of course players should not try to kill the ball carrier (unless it would be funny :sneaky:).

I like this idea' date=' though I would remove all powers (including defensive ones) and just add some scale-appropriate armor to the uniform. Less deaths, bricks still shine defensibly, but without unfair defensive advantage while carrying the ball.[/quote']

I think in this game characters with support and crowd control type powers (force field, deflection, entangle) would gain practice defending normal citizens on the streets while combat focused character get practice against these abilities.

I think in this game characters with support and crowd control type powers (force field' date=' deflection, entangle) would gain practice defending normal citizens on the streets while combat focused character get practice against these abilities.[/quote']

Depends on power levels I guess... if people were unlikely to accidentally kill each-other, but might knock out or significantly injure each-other, without armor than this would be ok... but if death is significant (or essentially assured), I think some armor (even if it is -1 'Only VS Body Damage') is necessary.

OR if there is some sort of 'Super-Field Medic' available at each game with resurrection powers of some kind. If it is a 'super' enough world for this to be viable, I would actually go this route... since Heroes are supposed to avoid killing people in general, it could be a penalty to kill rather than incapacitate the opposing players.

Incidentally, if there are any semblance of rules in this game you will need some super-referees... ones who have a reasonable chance to break up fights, can see invisible/super-speed people breaking rules, etc. Probably robots of some kind I would guess, or magical constructs if that is more the feel of the game.

[edit]

To expand on the strategy a bit, passing the ball frees up the powers of whoever was holding it making them available when needed. Because the "offense" is essentially down one member (i.e. the ball carrier), direct confrontation will be disadvantageous. When either team brings the ball to the other team's goal a point is scored. Sometimes forcing a reset may be strategically sound, such as the other team is deep in your team's "red zone" and you have a player at the neutral location.

[edit]

As the ball is immune to powers, the carrier cannot just be grabbed and teleported but the carrier can be picked up and flown with or ran with (which leaves the carrier vulnerable to attack because they are being held). Throwing the carrier should pose issues too.

I like this idea the best, followed next was "Capture the Flag" and then the "Football" themed.

But with such a variety of possible powers, how can you render each player "powerless"? Note: One player has Inherent as part of their power.

How do you account for a person who uses skills (like acrobatics, or martial arts)?

If a character is flying and they catch the ball, do they fall?

But with such a variety of possible powers' date=' how can you render each player "powerless"? Note: One player has Inherent as part of their power.[/quote']One big honkin' Suppress vs. All Powers. Not sure about something that's Inherent - might have to have the rules say that the player can't use any Inherent abilities, and using them consititutes a penalty. (Cheating for dishonourable characters! Could add a new dimension to the game...)

How do you account for a person who uses skills (like acrobatics' date=' or martial arts)??[/quote']See above.

If a character is flying and they catch the ball' date=' do they fall?[/quote']I would say yes.

Power Ball!!: Major Transform 3d6 (Powered Person into Non-Powered Person, Leaving The Arena), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (No Powers; All Or Nothing; +0), Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Partial Transform (+1/2), Constant (+1/2) (67 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1), Rapid Healing (-1), Limited Target ([slightly Limited]; -1/4), 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -0)

This means that the person who grabs the ball gets quickly transformed into a non-powered equivalent of themselves. This gives them a few moments of ball time before they totally power down (though partial transformation means that powers start failing immediately), and they are powerless for a few moments after releasing the ball as well (stops 'juggling' tricks). The transform could cover all special-effects, inherent powers, and even super skills.

I wouldn't spend to much time trying to stat out how the ball removes powers or you will have players trying to break the game "uh, my ghost character has inherent desolidification so he can carry the ball but no one can stop him".

If I were pressed however, I would say that the ball has a Triggered (when touched) Multiform (to a form of the character without powers, superhuman levels of attributes, skills, talents, and perks) usable as attack (defense is simply not touching the ball). The ball itself has the EDM power to transport itself to a dimension identical to our own but where it cannot be affected by anything other than normal STR (6e1, pg. 222, "Other Uses"). In other words, it is constructed of the finest mesh of handwavium.

[edit] If you have players that you think may strongly object to the above but this game is going to be a recurring element of your campaign, I would work with all of the players ahead of time to build the "depowered" versions themselves. For example, if the Brick (even when depowered) looks like Lou Ferrigno, then perhaps he can still have a 30 STR (technically speaking this can be considered legendary STR and not superhuman if the GM wishes) when touching the ball. Another character might keep his supreme Martial Arts training, but his OCV and DCV are limited to 10 and skills rolls to 20. You get the idea. It might actually be fun for some players to create these normalized homages to their characters.

[edit][edit]

Here are a few preemptive suggestions.

1. A character's foci or vehicles don't work when touching the ball. Ironman's armor powers down and Batman's grappling hook won't work while carrying the ball. This may or may not make them bad choices for ball carriers (Tony Stark is probably a bad choice but Bruce Wayne would still do fine I think). If the character's armor is a vehicle, he will have to get out of it to touch the ball or his vehicle will power down when he grabs it.

2. Character with Multiforms revert to their normal form. If you pass the ball to the Hulk, you get Bruce Banner, not a depowered version of the Hulk (Lou Ferrigno?)

3. If a Duplicate touches the ball, it disappears before it can act. If the Base Character touches the ball, all Duplicates disappear.

4. Area Effect powers work around the ball, they just cannot effect the ball. For example, Change Environment and Darkness can hide the ball but an AE wind attack cannot be used to blow the ball away.

5. Here's a tough one I'll leave to the GM. Can a Brick or someone with TK throw something at the ball or hit it with something to knock it around? IMHO it would depend on the play field. I would leave manipulable objects on some play fields (for example in a forest trees could be used as bats) but not others (such as a smooth metal surface).

Alternately, the ball could have an AI that doesn't *want* to get grabbed, thrown, knocked around, etc. And definately not go through that dang goal! Man, that "score" buzzer is annoying! So it might suppress the ball carrier's powers one phase, go Desolid the next (I'd limit the number of times it could do this, or make it Instant so it just drops but can be picked up again), try to fly out of the carrier's hands at an inopportune moment, Dodge attempts to bat it with super-strength, Teleport vs. others (to the penalty box) for anyone who breaks the rules, etc.

In this case, the ball could be its own referee.

And if I was GMing such a Powerball game, the ball would have a distinct voice and an annoying personality. Maybe it contains the brain patterns of the reigning Powerball champion, and he doesn't want his records getting broken.

This is just something that came to mind:

Powerball

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37888[/ATTACH]

Powerball has 3 different types of players. The Offense, The Defense, and the Obstacle Defender. There are also 7 alternate players in case one of the players gets hurt or needs a rest.

There are 5 Offense Players, 5 Defense Players, and 8 Obstacle Defenders (4 for each side).

The players with the ball are the Offensive team. The offense’s job is to get the ball through or past the 3 obstacles and then get the ball in the goal. The players can run with the ball or throw the ball to each other, or through or past the obstacles. The offensive team may stop or hinder any defensive player trying to gain possession of the ball directly.

The defense’s job is to try to either A. Stop or hinder the player with the ball, or B get the ball from the players. Which means that yes, they can literally attack the player with the ball. If the offense drops the ball and a defense player picks up the ball before the offensive player regains possession of the ball. It becomes possession of the defense player and then the roles are reversed. The Defensive Team may position themselves in front of players that don’t have the ball. If they catch the ball intended for another offensive team member, the roles are reversed and they are now considered the offensive team.

The Obstacle defenders: Since each obstacle is different, there are rules for each obstacle. Each obstacle’s points can only be obtained once., until the final goal is met. Then they get to try again. Starting at the 100m mark (the middle of the field).

Obstacle #1. The Hoop:

The offensive team must get the ball through the defensive team’s hoop. The hoop is hovering 10m in the air. It is a 2m wide hoop. No player may alter or move this hoop. The Obstacle Defender (OD) may be allowed to protect the inside dimensions of the hoop as he or she (or it) seems fit. Which includes creating a barrier, physically blocking it, or even attacking anyone from going through the hoop.

He is allowed to try to stop the ball from going through the hoop, but only if it is presently in the act of going through the hoop (less than 1m away from the hoop itself). The OD can only be attacked through the hoop. The OD cannot hinder anyone who doesn’t have the ball.

The offense can either leap, run, or fly through the hoop, or throw the ball through the hoop. If the OD hinders or stops the ball, it is not considered the Defense’s ball.

Getting past this obstacle gives the offensive team 5 points.

Obstacle #2: The poles:

There are 10 poles. Each pole is 30m high and extends 10m under the ground. The poles are 1m thick and cannot be altered, or moved in any way. Each pole is 5m from the next pole. They poles track the ball.

If the ball, or the player with the ball touches a pole; it emits an alarm, and become the Defense’s ball. This is where most “turnovers” happen, since it is very easy to nudge a player into a pole. The offense’s job is to get the ball past the poles without touching them. Once they get past the poles, they are clear.

The OD’s job is to protect the space between the pole. This is usually done by casting illusions of additional poles, creating fake poles, or even giving mental illusions of additional pole, The OD does NOT attack the Offense (with the exception of mental illusions). The Offense cannot attack the OD

Getting past this obstacle gives the team 5 points. Players must accomplish goal #1 first.

Obstacle #3: The wall:

There is a 8PD, 8ED, Ablative, (10PD, 10ED for adult), (14PD, 14ED for Ultimate) barrier for obstacle #3. It is in 5 different sections. Each section is 10m wide. 30m tall, and extends 10m under the ground. The offense must simply break through one of the sections. They cannot try to break through the wall until Obstacle 1 and 2 have been obtained. They can get a hole in the wall and pass the ball through the hole if they want. This is a great opportunity for Desolid characters or Teleporting characters to really use their talents. The ball still has to pass through the barrier unaffected by Powers, but they can go ahead and try to catch the ball.

The OD’s job is simply to repair the wall any way they can. Not to reinforce it. But to repair it. They can use any material that they like, including energy powers. So, an OD can fill a hole with a barrier but cannot add to the barrier. The OD’s cannot attack nor be attacked by any player. They just repair the wall.

Getting past this obstacle gives the offensive team 5 points. Players must accomplish goal #1 and #2 first.

Obstacle #4: The Goal

All other obstacles must be obtained before trying for a goal. The OD’s job is to guard this 15m wide goal. He is the only one that can attack any of the offense team, not just the one with the ball.

If an offense team makes this goal. He gets 25 points.

Rules:

1. Powers may not be used to alter that ball at any time. For every 20m of moment made with the ball, the ball must stay in one place for 3 Seconds (Segments), not moving more than 1m from that spot for those 3 seconds.

This is the core rules. So you can’t make the ball invisible, use TK on the ball, or teleport the ball at any time. This includes helping your player by teleporting him with the ball. This also make speedsters “hold” the ball for at least 3 seconds after every 20m.

2. Powers may be used to stop or hinder your opponent. Excessive force is not allowed.

Excessive force is defined as Killing Attacks, or attacks more than 40 Active Point (AP). (60 AP for adult games), (75 AP for Ultimate Games). Adjustment Powers are considered attacks for the purpose of the game.

3. Flyers may not fly above 30m. Tunnelers may not Tunnel under 10m.

4. Teams only have to worry about the four obstacles on their offensive side of the field. So, if the team is going left (on the map) they only have to worry about the 3 obstacles and one goal at the left of the map. (left of the 100m mark) Of course they would still have to make it past their own barrier if the ball is down that far on the field. But their teammates would not hinder them.

It looks like the 20 Meter rule is there to help slower characters catch up. What I might recommend instead of every 20 meters which seems kind of arbitrary have the Offense hold the ball inside the hoop. This might be the offense having to place the ball in the hoop to register it or something. Half a phase action and then the hoop releases the ball with a Speed 2 requiring at least 2 segments to read the ball.

This gives the characters a chance for a quick skirmish and change of possession. The strategy being having a nimble character on hand to snatch the ball once released.