Gurps world books

Thag13

Does any Hero fans check out the gurps books like I do.

I am not a Huge fan of the Gurps system, but the world books and setting are Fantasic.

Does anyone else here in Hero land use the books for game setting or at least Ideas??

My favorites are Cabal, Arabian nights, Celtic Myth, Technomancy, Ogre, and the really cool Robin Hood book.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cabal does rock. So do Atomic Horror, Black Ops, Horror (the Ken Hite edition, though the others are pretty good too), Fantasy II (Madlands, by Robin Laws- I can't recommend this setting enough to fans looking for alternative types of fantasy storytelling), Camelot, Robin Hood, Illuminati and several of the historicals (China and Russia come to mind.) dw

Hey, GURPS books gave me something to buy in the years when Hero lay fallow. ;)

Some of my favorite RPG sourcebooks have been GURPS books. Favorites include Atomic Horror, Cabal, Cliffhangers, Fantasy II, Illuminati, The Prisoner, Religion, Space, Time Travel, and Warehouse 23.

GURPS Illuminati would probably be on my list of the top 5 RPG books ever. :)

I love GURPS, and for a long time in the Dark Ages I played it probably on a par with Hero (I especially liked it for non-super powered things, and I used GURPS Wild Cards quite a bit).

With the resurgence of Hero 5th, I still follow GURPS, but I'm doing more of my gaming in Hero. GURPS has got way more support, but I think the Hero system suits me better, and it's catching up fast. Once I realized I didn't have to write up full balanced character sheets for every villager the PCs might possibly encounter, Hero worked a lot better for me.

Pyramid is absolutely great, though.

For those interested in a supers campaign, there's a lot of ideas to be mined from Gurps IST (International Super Teams). You may disagree with the geopolitical and timeline decisions that the writers made - and of course, some of the references are dated now - but IST pays a wealth of attention to how the presence of superbeings would affect the course of world events, the law, religion, etc. It also provides tons of examples and suggestions for superbeings from countries other than the USA, including foreign language names. In these areas it's superior even to Champions Universe.

It's been out of print for some years now, but I've seen quite a few used game retailers who still have copies

My GURPS favorites:

Black Ops (#1 with a bullet)

Cabal (dare I say it - a better treatment of the subject than the original Ultimate Supermage)

Special Ops

Lensman

Technomancer (most of it - as was mentioned in IST above, some of the underlying assumptions the author chose are a matter of taste)

Traveller (they diverged from the Shattered Imperium timeline - and for that I will be ever grateful)

I just found a cheap used copy of Gurps Travaller and I think its excellent.

Warehouse 23 is a blast

And finally IOU is the funniest suppliment I have ever read.

Hero will always be my home system. But for a long time, I thought the Gurps products were the best on the market for writing, reshearch, and layout. I think Hero is coming up very fast and will surpass them, but the well done gurps books are a standard that every publisher should strive for.

GURPS has great source books, until DoJ came on board I'd have to give GURPS the nod for quality. Now its not so clear cut, GURPS has some great books and many people buy them that don't even play GURPS, so far HERO has been very impressive and if they keep up the quality they have shown so far they will definately be competing for the same markets.

As far as offering additional material for HERO they are a great resource.

Re: Book of New Sun and Horseclans

Originally posted by allen

I had heard/read that GURPS had sourcebooks for Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun and Rober Adams' Horseclans. Does anyone have these, and if so, any thoughts/impressions?

Don't have Horseclans (want it though - it's been out of print for a long time), but the New Sun book was well done and fairly comprehensive. Only problem is, while I like like GURPS for some types of games (realistic gritty games, mainly), I don't rate it as flexible enough to deal with the setting. A definate convert to HERO moment ;).

Michael

I have the HorseClans book. I think its a great book and could very easily be converted to Hero.

I have not read the HorseClans books, but the informations seems complete and well presented. The artwork is a little stiff but not enough to ruin the book.

Check Ebay as the book comes up a lot and usually not too expensive.

I have not read the New Sun book, although its on my "to get" list.

If you are running a 'Period' piece and you don't want to go buy so big text-books and wade through them, GURPS China, Japan, Aztecs, Greece, Rome, India and Russia all have great footnote resources and plot hooks for any campaign.

GURPS Bio-Tech and Ultra-Tech have some great ideas for devices that can easily be created in HERO.

I've usually found the GURPS sourcebooks worthwhile just on the basis of the amount of information they provide. The game system material can be inspirational for how to use other systems in a genre or milieu even if you're not playing GURPS itself.

I don't own a copy of the core GURPS rulebook, but I've got several of their sourcebooks as idea-mines. I really liked Time Travel, the Alternate Earths books (2 is slightly better than 1, IMHO), Steampunk and Atomic Horror, but I don't think I've ever picked up one that was a total stinker.

I too have used the GURPS books for ideas to use with HERO,

but I don't use the setting-specific books as much as I do with

the '-Tech'-type books (Bio-Tech, High-Tech, Ultra-Tech 1 & 2,

Psionics (originally referred to as Psi-Tech)). In fact, the only

setting-specific GURPS books that I'm currently focussing on

right now are the GURPS: Traveller sourcebooks.

I use the following books for reference purposes:

Atomic Horror

Bestiary

Black Ops

Blood Types

Cops

Horror

Mars

Monsters

Ogre

Space

Special Ops

Technomancer

Undead

Warehouse 23

Y2K

Space Cadet :cool:

Re: Book of New Sun and Horseclans

Originally posted by allen

I had heard/read that GURPS had sourcebooks for Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun and Rober Adams' Horseclans. Does anyone have these, and if so, any thoughts/impressions?

I thought the GURPS Book of the New Sun sourcebook was pretty good. Not wonderful or anything, but a decent product.