Gurps world books

Thag13

GURPS Sourcebooks and Fan Conversions

Hello Herophiles , I am a Fan of GURPS and their Sourcebooks . Their Fan base produces more Conversions than even HERO .

The comeback of HERO System and the quality of their work has changed that . I am a born again HEROphile and I'm look forward to all future releases .

The Top Ten GURPS Books ( 150 Sourcebooks ) are out of ;

1. Japan - Most read and useful for running the setting

2. Russia - Much read and used for resource material

3. Faerie - Check it out yourself with great artwork

4. Spirits - Interesting read and classifications

5. Cliffhangers - Excellent resource and useful GM tips

6. Bestiary - Finally rules for training beasts and playing them

7. Deadlands - Great setting and well thought out conversion

8. Steampunk - Excellent for running Victorian setting

9. Traveller - Awsome setting and Conversion

10. Martial Arts - Most used and abused by players and GMs

The Worst Ten GURPS Books ( 150 Sourcebooks ) are out of ;

1. Supers - The GURPS sytem just doesn't do it well

2. Biotech - Read once now gathering dust

3. Magic Items 1,2 & 3 - Read once now gathering dust

4. Vehicle - Math BA required and too few examples

5. Myth - It's just wrong in so many ways

6. Cops - It's just wrong in so many ways

7. Covert Ops - Bad layout and art

8. Napoleon - Bad layout and art

9. SWAT - Bad layout and art

10. Authentic Thaumaturgy - Not sure this one applies

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I generally don't recommend GURPS:China too much...it's way too dry and doesn't cover the material from a gaming aspect very well...Just kinda gives a very limited overview of Chinese history and a little culture....you'd be better off reading real books about the subject and using GURPS:China as extra reference at best....but the books everyone should own are:

GURPS:

Japan

Imperial Rome

Aztecs

Celtic Myth

(basically any real-world book but China)

Supporting Cast

Martial Arts

Space

and

Ultra-Tech (which I get a huge amount of use out of)

Rob

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

I won't bother with a "worst" list, but here are my top ten GURPS books in alphabetical order...

Atomic Horror

Black Ops

Cabal

Fantasy II

Horror

Illuminati

Religion

Space

Time Travel

Warehouse 23

Derek and I are apparently on the same GURPS wavelength here, which isn't really much of a surprise. I'd replace Religion, which is good, with Cliffhangers, which is better. Anybody interested in the art and science of GM-ing should own these ten books. Each will do a part in making you better. dw

Originally posted by Peregrine

My GURPS favorites:

Black Ops (#1 with a bullet)

Cabal (dare I say it - a better treatment of the subject than the original Ultimate Supermage)

Technomancer (most of it - as was mentioned in IST above, some of the underlying assumptions the author chose are a matter of taste)

I'm a big GURPS fan, myself. Personally, I think *anything* by Ken Hite is pure gold (Suppressed TRansmissions 1&2 are great, but they're waaaay overdue for a number 3), and I love the Weird War 2 book (if you want to do Golden Age, you have GOT to get this book).

BTW, Peregrine, may I ask what you had troubles with in Technomancer? I only ask because I love it, and I've got my own share of troubles with it (like the author's idea that the modern-day US has never socially progressed beyond the 50's).

Originally posted by Darren Watts

Derek and I are apparently on the same GURPS wavelength here, which isn't really much of a surprise. I'd replace Religion, which is good, with Cliffhangers, which is better.

I really waffled over Cliffhangers.. it's an excellent book too. I should've done a top eleven. ;)

I was also tempted to include GURPS The Prisoner, but realized that ultimately the "specialness" resides in The Prisoner itself, rather than GURPS The Prisoner specifically. :) (Though I don't mean to knock it... GURPS The Prisoner is a very cool book too.)

Originally posted by FenrisUlf

Personally, I think *anything* by Ken Hite is pure gold (Suppressed TRansmissions 1&2 are great, but they're waaaay overdue for a number 3)

Hear, hear! Ken's one of the best in the biz. Ya' can't go wrong with his stuff. I fine the Star Trek Next Generation Narrator's Guide to be one of my most useful GM resources, even though I do not now nor have I ever run a Star Trek game in any system. The advice is just that useful and adaptable to other games & genres. And of course, the Suppressed Transmission books are the ultimate adventure idea-spawning tools. :D