Computers and PDA write-ups

Deadman

Hey Everyone,

So now that we are fully embroiled in the Age of Technology I wondered if any of you have actually statted out a standard PDA or Home Computer in Hero System terms? I have a character in Dark Champions that carries a custom PDA created by his Technology guru follower.

I am thinking that it would be constructed as a computer with a lot of trappings that have been previously done in the books. I am still playing 5e but conversion should be pretty easy since I don't think that was changed much.

Here are a list of things that I think it would have at a minimum...

1. Untraceable Telephone Communications - Mind Link with Limitations
  2. Calculator - Lightning Calc with Limitations
  3. Clock - Absolute Time Sense with Limitations
  4. Video and Audio Recorder and Camera - Eidetic Memory with Limitations
  5. Internet Access - KS: Everything (per recent products) with Limitations

What else should it have? Does anyone have an example of something that they created?

Thanks,

Re: Computers and PDA write-ups

I'm someone of the mind that PDAs and computers are now just ordinary items that any can have. Thus, I probably wouldn't charge points for one. Unless it's somehow connected to the character -- e.g., part of a power suit, so the character always has it available, or a gadgeteer who can always whip out his super-PDA from a voluminous coat pocket -- it's just ordinary stuff.

One thing you have up there, the untraceable private connection, "Mind Link" would imo be a good thing to charge points for. Computers or even cell phones don't really provide an always on, private connection, so it's something that's not "realistic" and therefore reasonable for a super power.

The other thing you have that interests me is the KS. Well, normally I wouldn't charge points for that. It's really just "computer operation" at the default everyman level of 0 points. Everyone can use Google and Wikipedia, there's no reason to charge someone for that. However, if the character can regularly find out things that really aren't available with an internet connection, like what a crime lord has been doing lately, then it's reasonable for some points. I might model it as a Contact though.

Note that with Mind Link, you could just call your tech guru and ask him or her to do the internet search for you. Again, this works well as a contact, so that's why I mentioned it in the previous paragraph.

Time and calculator.... really dubious to charge for those. Time is just a wrist watch, for crud's sake. The calcultor... if it's an ordinary calculator, then no points. If the character can do really insanely complicate math really really quickly -- far faster than you could with an ordinary calculator -- then sure, Lightning Calculator. Again, could just call the tech and ask too.

OK, now to actually answer your question. One obvious function for a computer is GPS. Most cell phones have this built in now anyway. Another is maps and locations -- Google Maps. With a small app, you can have a Google map plot a GPS signal. Add small transmitters and you have Spiderman's spider bugs -- except the bad guy's track is plotted on a much nicer map display. Note that Google Maps is global, although it doesn't always have high resolution, it does plot over the whole globe.

Let's see: bugging, wire taping, Security Systems (skill bonus), the list of electronic connections to a hand held gizmo is almost endless. How about Clairvoyance? If I had a tech guru I'd want over head surveillance (drone) with a down link to the handheld. I could probably think of other. Maybe broad band radio reception so you can track the bad guys by their cell (or other electronic) transmissions (Detect Electronic Devices).

Etc. Have fun with it.

Re: Computers and PDA write-ups

Thanks for your take on it. I think you are in the majority about just assuming that it is equipment that everyone can have. Honestly, I normally go the same route. But this vigilante makes extensive use of his so I thought he should pay points for it. I have taken a preliminary stab at it that I am sharing (if I can figure how to post it) but I really like some of your ideas. I already thought of the GPS and have it as Navigation on the PDA but your tracker idea is pretty cool. I may just have to add that.

Talion's PDA

Player: Tom Lively

DEX 10

INT 15

SPD 2

Power

Durable Casing: Armor (4 PD/4 ED)

Secure Cell Communications: Mind Link , Any Willing Target (15 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing and Radio groups, Not Mental (-1/2)

Lighted Display: Change Environment: Create Light 1" radius (-2 to Sight Group PER Rolls), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (12 Active Points); Only to create light (-1), No Range (-1/2)

Speaker: Hearing Group Images 1" radius, +/-2 to PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (16 Active Points); Only to Play Sounds On PDA (-1)

Powers Cost: 31

Skills

Voice Commands: Language - English (completely fluent)

GPS: Navigation (Land) 14-

Internet Access: KS: Everything (9 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn or More, -1 1/4) 18-

MP3 Player: KS: Song And Sound Database 11-

Skills Cost: 15

Talents

Clock: Absolute Time Sense

Calculator: Lightning Calculator

Video/Audio Recorder and Camera: Eidetic Memory

Program: Execute Voice Commands

Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 63

Disadvantages

Physical Limitation: Battery Operated (Must Be Charged 1/Day) (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 10

Base Points: 75