dennis the menace

montolio

Re: dennis the menace

There are two of them y'know. A British artist came up with and published his own Dennis strip within days of Ketchum's one. (I'm presuming, you being in Delaware that you are refering to the American one. ;) )

Going with the US one, what would you do with the character? He's really kind of a hunted/watched/dnpc combo for Mr. Wilson. What would the character do, in a roleplaying sense, as a lead character?

There are two of them y'know. A British artist came up with and published his own Dennis strip within days of Ketchum's one. (I'm presuming, you being in Delaware that you are refering to the American one. ;) )

Going with the US one, what would you do with the character? He's really kind of a hunted/watched/dnpc combo for Mr. Wilson. What would the character do, in a roleplaying sense, as a lead character?

Well, for Mr. Wilson, what kind disad would "cursed by annoying neighbor kid be? Social Lim? Hunted?

Hunted: Dennis Very Frequently (More Powerful (Protected by law and custom from most forms of retaliation)), PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find (Lives next door), Mildly Punish (annoy) 25 pts

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says that was easy

Hunted: Dennis Very Frequently (More Powerful (Protected by law and custom from most forms of retaliation)), PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find (Lives next door), Mildly Punish (annoy) 25 pts

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says that was easy

I guess, though it is a bit more complicated: The reason I suggested DNPC/Hunted was that -as much as Wilson grumbles- he really *likes* having Dennis put some energy into his routine. With a strict hunted, Wilson would just avoid Dennis, telling the Mitchells to keep their brat out of his hair, but he doesn't. Dennis is with it enough to know when he *really* isn't wanted and when Wilson is just being a grump.

Re the OP: Dennis is a force of nature, sort of a junior Hulk. He's not really hyperactive, but his schick is inducing chaos by his very existance (not as deliberately as his British cousin, which is another story all together). How does one make a viable Force of Nature character in roleplaying terms?

Dependent NPC: Dennis Very Frequently (Incompetent) 25 pts

Comes to the same. Pity you can't have a Multipower of Disadvantages.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary questions the validity of statements like ""with a strict hunted, Wilson would just avoid Dennis." Says who?

I've got to get my export formats sorted out....

Such as it is, here's what I got.

Dennis Mitchell

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

5 STR -5 10- Lift 50.0kg; 1d6

13 DEX 6 12- OCV: 4/DCV: 5

8 CON -2 11-

6 BODY -4

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 3 - 3

10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

3 PD 1 Total: 3 PD (0 rPD)

3 ED 1 Total: 3 ED (0 rED)

3 SPD 10 Phases: 4, 8, 12

4 REC 0

20 END 0

15 STUN -2 Total Characteristic Cost: 17

Movement: Running: 10m/20m

Leaping: 2m/4m

Swimming: 2m/4m

Perks

8 Ruff : Follower

1 Hot Dog: Contact 8-

Talents

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Skills

3 Acrobatics 12-

3 Climbing 12-

3 Breakfall 12-

2 Survival (Playground) 11-

3 Stealth 12-

1 WF: Slingshot, Thrown Rocks

1 TF: Mr. Wilson (Drives him crazy!)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 32

Total Cost: 48

50+ Disadvantages

15 Dependent NPC: Joey and Gina Frequently (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

5 Negative Reputation: , Infrequently (Extreme - no one will babysit him twice; Known Only To A Small Group: Teachers, Babysitters)

5 Hunted: Margaret Infrequently (Less Pow; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Mildly Punish - wants to play house, play with dolls, yucky stuff)

5 Social Complication: Just a little kid Infrequently, Major, Not Limiting among other kids

5 Physical Complication: just a little kid (Infrequently; Barely Impairing - doesn't seem to slow him down much)

15 Unluck: 3d6

Total Disadvantage Points: 50

Background/History: Background? History? He's only five for pete's sake!

Personality/Motivation: He's a five year old boy.

Quote: Dad: I'm taking you to the museum, to have your mind expanded! Dennis: Will it hurt?

Powers/Tactics: Makes mud pies. Makes messes. Makes noise. Makes trouble.

Campaign Use: I have no idea. What the heck would you do with this kid?

Appearance: Blond, freckled, and usually dirty

Dennis the Menace created by Hank Ketcham. Character sheet created by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

I've got to get my export formats sorted out....

Such as it is, here's what I got.

Dennis Mitchell

Movement: Running: 10m/20m

Talents

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 32

Total Cost: 48

50+ Disadvantages

5 Negative Reputation: , Infrequently (Extreme - no one will babysit him twice; Known Only To A Small Group: Teachers, Babysitters)

5 Physical Complication: just a little kid (Infrequently; Barely Impairing - doesn't seem to slow him down much)

Personality/Motivation: He's a five year old boy.

Like I said, "Force of Nature" characters are hard to work with, he either sparks a plot or he doesn't.

(considering a post on the Champions forum: "How to run a Force of Nature character concept").

Love the write up, though. Esp the Combat luck and the neg rep. What for the unluck?

EDIT: Must spread rep.

Dependent NPC: Dennis Very Frequently (Incompetent) 25 pts

Comes to the same. Pity you can't have a Multipower of Disadvantages.

Lucius Alexander

Why not, You and the Palindromedary are multiposters to a single post. :sneaky:

Seriously, I thought about my earlier post and decided a psy crock "only pretends to be annoyed by Dennis, secretly enjoys the little pest's company " would work.

The palindromedary questions the validity of statements like ""with a strict hunted' date=' Wilson would just avoid Dennis." Says who?[/quote']

Well, oh homage to the PushmePullyou, let me expand. Take Batman, he is a hunted for Joker, and Catwoman. Joker takes Batsy as a "strict" hunted. He'll either avoid The Batman while he goes on about his business, or try to distract or attack Bats to keep The Batman from spoiling his plot; but he won't hang around with The Batman just to enjoy each other's company. Catwoman OTOH has Batman as a hunted: But here it is a bit more complicated. "If you catch me, are you sending me to jail, or shall we get started on that Huntress Project?" IOW, they enjoy each other's company; Bats is CW's hunted, while in a way CW is Bat's DNPC.

Like I said, "Force of Nature" characters are hard to work with, he either sparks a plot or he doesn't.

(considering a post on the Champions forum: "How to run a Force of Nature character concept").

Love the write up, though. Esp the Combat luck and the neg rep. What for the unluck?

EDIT: Must spread rep.

Well, I could have made it Unluck, Usable as Attack, No Conscious Control...

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary, Inherent, No Conscious Control, Always On

Well, oh homage to the PushmePullyou, let me expand. Take Batman, he is a hunted for Joker, and Catwoman. Joker takes Batsy as a "strict" hunted. He'll either avoid The Batman while he goes on about his business, or try to distract or attack Bats to keep The Batman from spoiling his plot; but he won't hang around with The Batman just to enjoy each other's company. Catwoman OTOH has Batman as a hunted: But here it is a bit more complicated. "If you catch me, are you sending me to jail, or shall we get started on that Huntress Project?" IOW, they enjoy each other's company; Bats is CW's hunted, while in a way CW is Bat's DNPC.

Or it could just mean that Hunted can work in more than one way.

Lucius Alexander

Hunted: Palindromedary

So call me a perfectionist...a more elaborated Dennis

[ATTACH]38014[/ATTACH]

DENNIS MITCHELL

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

5 STR -5 10- Lift 50.0kg; 1d6

13 DEX 6 12- OCV: 4/DCV: 5

8 CON -2 11-

6 BODY -4

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 3 - 3

10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

3 PD 1 Total: 3 PD (0 rPD)

3 ED 1 Total: 3 ED (0 rED)

3 SPD 10 Phases: 4, 8, 12

4 REC 0

20 END 0

15 STUN -2 Total Characteristic Cost: 17

Movement:

Running: 10m/20m

Perks

5 Contact: Ruff (Contact is slavishly loyal to character) 11-

1 Hot Dog: Contact 8-

Talents

6 That didn't hurt: Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Skills

3 Watch this!: Acrobatics 12-

3 That's what trees are FOR!: Climbing 12-

3 I meant to do that: Breakfall 12-

3 Let's play hide and seek: Concealment 11-

3 Nobody notices a little kid: Stealth 12-

2 Survival (Playground) 11-

1 WF: Slingshot, Thrown Rocks

2 TF: Mr. Wilson (Drives him crazy!), Two or more Wheeled Muscle-Powered Ground Vehicles (bikes, skateboards, rollerskates)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 33

Total Cost: 49

50+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: Mom Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Limited Geographical Area (Home); PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find (He has to come home sometime); Watching)

5 Dependent NPC: Joey and Gina Infrequently (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills (especially Gina!); Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

5 Negative Reputation: , Infrequently (Extreme - no one will babysit him twice; Known Only To A Small Group: Kindergarten Teachers, Babysitters)

5 Hunted: Margaret Infrequently (Less Pow; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Mildly Punish - wants to play house, play with dolls, yucky stuff)

5 Social Complication: Just a little kid Infrequently, Major, Not Limiting among other kids

Personality/Motivation: He's a five year old boy. He likes root beer, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cowboys, catching frogs, climbing trees, getting dirty, and chocolate, not necessarily in that order. He hates vegetables, baths, sitting still, cleaning his room, mushy stuff, and letting his neighbor, Mr. Wilson, enjoy any peace and quiet.

Quote: Dad: I'm taking you to the museum, to have your mind expanded! Dennis: Will it hurt?

Powers/Tactics: Makes mud pies. Makes messes. Makes noise. Makes trouble.

Appearance: Blond, freckled, and usually dirty.

Dennis the Menace character created by Hank Ketcham

Character sheet created by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

A kid like Dennis in the house could make a superhero's life very interesting. He probably wouldn't know that Mom and Ultrawoman are one and the same (at least not yet) but that doesn't mean he won't show up at awkward times -- especially if he's a serious problem for child care. The thing is that he's smart for a five-year-old and adventurous, so he can be found in the most extraordinary places in the course of his mother's escapades.

Down the road he'll mature, possibly developing his own superpowers or discovering Mom's secret identity, but you'll never really grow the Menace out of him.