MMA for Dark Champions

Riposte

Wishing to run an adventure in the world of illegal free fight, i need your advice about MMA's martial maneuver.

At first i was thinking about mixing thai jiujitsu wrestling... but if it was true that at the beginning MMA was an open style combat sport, now all the fighter seem to be well rounded... so, any suggestion for a MMA's package deal?

Re: MMA for Dark Champions

Basically what you will end up doing is taking, All of Boxing, the kicks of Muay Thai (Unless of course your guy is Bass Ruten then of course you are going all Muay Thai, heh), and you'll hit the chokes and locks out of Brazilian Juijtsu, and then round it out with some Wrestling.

A lot of Sambo is starting to creep in now as well, not to mention a few other things. If you were forced to pick ONE martial art out of the book, you would end up more along the lines of MCMAP, as opposed to the Generic Martial Arts set up with a few takedowns thrown in. There's more then a few other examples of open systems in both the 5th and 6th ed books...

Having gone through this out here in the real world, in general you tend to have a foundation art you are reall good with, lately that's of course BJJ, but you have as many honest to god Wrestlers out there right now with more then a few belts to their name (Randy Couture for example comes from a Greco Roman wrestling background) as you do wanna be Gracie family members. While predominant strikers still show up in good numbers, without a ground game you go no where in MMA, regardless of how much leather or feet you can throw. Even guys that were the epitome of the Striking game like Bass Ruten for example had to learn the ground game as well.

Most MMA guys settle for a few BJJ chokes and locks (Arm/Leg bar, ankle lock, guillotine choke etc), unless they started as a pure BJJ guy. Pure BJJ guys tend to branch out more towards Muay Thai, while you wrestlers pick up a solid set of boxing strikes, a muay thai kick, and then set up an insane sequenced attack that ends up with a shoot, guard and then ground and pound.

Ground and pound has won more MMA then anything. Not something you want to be on the recieving end of.

So all that being said, best to determine your guys Foundation first, make that your primary selction, and then add to it from the other associated schools. If your from out eastern Europe ways, you can literally just take Sambo and be done with it since all Sambo really is is a pile of MMA that's had most of the bad habits weeded out of it but it's not an art for Lightweights and people prone to saying ouch.

~Rex

MMA fighters train to luta livre for the ground fighting. BJJ is not match because of the Modern MMA fighters wear no kimono.

For the stand up fighting , the majority train to thaïland boxing. A minority trains only english boxing ( no kick ).

Sambo is russian judo. It means no choke and a lot of wrestling moves ( throw from armlock forbidden ) and leglocks with no torsions. Painfull pressures on calves are appreciated. Sambo is a grab sport like wrestling , not a martial art.

Sambo combat is russian MMA. It means sambo sport + strikes .

MMA fighters train to luta livre for the ground fighting. BJJ is not match because of the Modern MMA fighters wear no kimono.

For the stand up fighting , the majority train to thaïland boxing. A minority trains only english boxing ( no kick ).

Sambo is russian judo. It means no choke and a lot of wrestling moves ( throw from armlock forbidden ) and leglocks with no torsions. Painfull pressures on calves are appreciated. Sambo is a grab sport like wrestling , not a martial art.

Sambo combat is russian MMA. It means sambo sport + strikes .

I don't understand the part I quoted in bold. What does the lack of kimono, a Japanese (and usually female) article of clothing have to do with BJJ?

Yes, Sorry. I meant the keikogi or Gi.

What is the links between Japan an BJJ ? The second came frome Judo. When a Japaneseman - Maeda , I am not sure - went to Brazil and gave some lessons to Brazilian people.

A little Brazilianboy spied the lessons and specialized himself in ne waza or judo ground fighting : the BJJ was born.

Esentially in both Judo, and Juijitsu there are a lot of initiating holds and takedowns based upon being able to grab the uniform. As most MMA folks do not wear such, they have a slight, advantage. To go back to the Sambo thing as well, Sambo is deivided into three main forms, Sport, Combat, and Free Style. Sport Sambo is fairly restictive and sort of splits the difference between Judo and Wrestling. Lot of moves are illegal, that sort of thing. Combat Sambo has been a full blown recognized and lethal martial art unto itself for a long time, and has had more then a few really good MMA folk to it's credit (Andrei Arlovski and Fedor Emelianenko to name a few), Freestyle Sambo is the Americanized version, allows more of the moves that are Illegal in Sport Sambo but not the full bore range of strikes and gouges from Combat Sambo...

In 1968 FILA recognized Sambo as the third accepted form of international wrestling though a few more have been added since then. The rise of BJJ slowed down the Sambo expansion over here for a bit but thanks to the sucess of a few folks already mentioned it's popularity is surging again. Should be interesting to see what developes out of it. Never sell short freestyle and greco roman wrestling in the face of any other so called grappling orientated martial art. A lot of the greats have that as their primary foundation as well and they mop the floor with BJJ guys all the time.

~Rex

• 2 months later...

Hmm.....a Good question. Experimenting with a few different ways to pull it off in a couple of upcoming game sessions right now, since I need to test these for a few con events coming up anyway. There's about 8 ways to pull it off without breaking something, heh. Fight Science did a fantastic MMA episode with Bass Ruten, Randy Coture and a few others. Ground and Pound was a definitive feature test of that episode. You can find it all broken up in parts on you tube.

The trick is to get the ground and pound benefits, and not blow the balance curve of the game system, So, like I said a few different ways, I'll test them and see which works best.

~Rex

A structured sequence is one of the things I'm fiddeling with for it. I've whittled it down to about 4 solid versions. The set up is important, especially from an MMA standpoint where more fights have been won and careers made and or ended with a good ground and pound.

HERO's issues with a ground fighting game is basically, there are 5000 ways to do it, and while it should be something solid and defined, it isn't, hence, cobbled the few different good ways to do it, to represent some of the stuff my players asked me about when I showed them that Fight Science episode, and even took them down to the gym for a bit of Mat Work (for the brave ones heh).....

Should have them all tested out by this weekend. Just want to toss them in a real game and see what breaks.

~Rex