Self Resurrection

Egyptoid

what's a decent build for 6E to come back to life?

I'm thinking the old summon self version, but whats a 6E way to do it?

here's the SFX in mind

Version A: :angel: newly released spirit of a dead person reforms a body to take care of unfinished business. only works once per life. Limit: if you die at peace, with no loose strings, you go on to heaven or wherever and actually pass on.

========

Version B: :dyn the classic Ultron, Terminator, or Mechanon: an artifical life-form has a backup body, with triggered activation upon verification of the main form's demise. Limitation: if enemies infiltrate your base or disperse your flunkies, your equipment can fail and you don't return to life.

oh, and it takes a week or so to get going again.

Guest steamteck

Re: Self Resurrection

Doesn't 6th edition have the resurrection modifier? I don't see it in the basic but I can't imagine its gone. That's actually the new thing that got me to upgrade to 5th back in the day. Anyway That seems the obvious choice but since you're going for a whole new body not regeneration maybe a tiggered duplication?

Regeneration with Resurrection, maybe with a triggered/linked Teleport if your body comes back somewhere then where your corpse lies...

Steve said that Mechanon-style 'resurrection as being rebuilt' might get some particular attention in the theoretical APG2

what are the pros and cons between using Regen:Resurec. or using Summon:Self ?

Well, Resurection is the "official right way" to do it.

Given that Regeneration normally means you heal where you fell, I can understand why someone would suggest that Mechanon would need a "Teleport" to come back where ever it put a robotics factory, but to me the idea of piling on a superfluous power just because the "special effects" are unusual seems a little absurd - like the time I was going to put Shapeshift on a robot with several modes of movement just because it would change configuration. Coming back at the predefined point is just part of the special effects of the Power, and part of the "this is how the Resurection can be prevented" (destroy the machinery) that's part of every such Power by default.

Resurrection implies that the character comes back exactly as they were at death - with all memories for example. For a rebuilt robot, that may not make sense, whereas a Summon could be interpreted as "Summon: Myself as I was at last upload."

A problem with Summon is that it would need a Trigger, and Trigger would need a special Sense bought for it (if you're dead, your normal Senses don't work.) Probably Radio, and the Trigger condition might be a signal meaning "start rebuilding" or maybe NOT recieving a regular signal that means "don't start yet, I'm still alive." Either way, complications can arise from jamming the signal or preventing the character from emitting it somehow. This "bug" could actually be a "feature" if you consider that this is how a Robotic Rebuild Resurrection Regeneration Really SHOULD work.

Another problem with Summon is that it's designed to bring a creature into the game world for a limited time to perform certain set tasks; if using it to replace a dead character, that's going to hang around indefinitely, bothers you or those you game with, perhaps you should consider using Duplication.

Lucius Alexander

Summon Duplicate Regenerating Palindromedary!

I don't like the summon method myself... you are 'Slavishly Loyal' to yourself, sure... but how many 'tasks' is the new character performing on the old one's behalf? It has that whole mechanic built in that is just 'kludgy' as a resurrection machine.

NOW, a triggered Duplication (that each 'slightly different' Duplicant has a new copy of, not the same repetition of) might serve in this capacity with a bit of a stretch...

Maybe it should be a base with a computer that's programmed to trigger the in-base Megascale Range Duplication of the character, limited to only one Duplicate available at a time.

Or we could simply use the power actually written up to restore a dead character, with limitations like Extra Time. Mechanon doesn't lose anything in the translation or he would not recall how he was most recently defeated in order to redesign to avoid that result in the future, but a limitation "only to the last backup" could certainly work for the appropriate character.

Resurrection implies that the character comes back exactly as they were at death - with all memories for example. For a rebuilt robot' date=' that may not make sense, whereas a Summon could be interpreted as "Summon: Myself as I was at last upload."[/quote']

Meh, I'd represent that with a Physical Complication or a Limitation on Regeneration.

simply use the power actually written up to restore a dead character' date=' [/quote']

well this is what I'm asking, how would you guys write it up. specifically.

this is my pathetic attempt

Rebuild Self: Regeneration (5 BODY per Week), Resurrection, Delayed Effect (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset: sensors at base detect death; +1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (60 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Resurrection Only (-2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (not if busted lab or factory; -1/4), 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Season (-0) (11ap)

what's wrong with it...

well this is what I'm asking, how would you guys write it up. specifically.

this is my pathetic attempt

Rebuild Self: Regeneration (5 BODY per Week), Resurrection, Delayed Effect (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset: sensors at base detect death; +1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (60 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Resurrection Only (-2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (not if busted lab or factory; -1/4), 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Season (-0) (11ap)

what's wrong with it...

I'm not sure the No Conscious Control is appropriate. You've got a trigger, and uncontrolled on it already. And, definitionally, it seems kind of moot. I.E., part of the whole power is that you're coming back from death...but since you're dead, the power works autonomously to restore you to life.

Rebuild Self: Regeneration (5 BODY per Week), Resurrection, Delayed Effect (+1/4),

Why Delayed Effect? As I understand it, that is for powers that take extra time to set up, and then are held in "readiness." Trigger more or less covers that anyway doesn't it?

Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset: sensors at base detect death; +1/4),

As I said, you'd need a sense bought specifically for the Trigger - unless the character's own senses are such that they could detect someone dying from around the world.

Uncontrolled (+1/2)

Why uncontrolled?

(60 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2),

No Conscious Control would be appropriate, in my opinion, only if there is a good chance of it not working - or working late ("I've been out of commission for two years?!") or working wrong ("We can rebuild him. We can make him lesser than he was. Lesser. Slower. Weaker.")

Resurrection Only (-2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (not if busted lab or factory; -1/4), 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Season (-0) (11ap)

Not sure I understand what you're trying to do with the charge here...maybe I'm missing the obvious or being dense?

Here's my take.

I Can Rebuild Me: (Total: 62 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) I'll be Back... Regeneration (5 BODY per Week), Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Delayed Effect (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4) (52 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Week, Only to Activate, To build or set up Recreation Station; -2 1/4), Resurrection Only (-2), 4 Charges which Recover every 1 Week ((I'm assuming it takes 4 applications to completely rebuild to full BODy.); -1 1/2), IIF Immobile (Recreation Station; -1 1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus I am Undone - Remake Me! Mind Link , One Specific Mind, Unlimited range in this dimension (10 Active Points); Only for use with Trigger (to detect death) (-2) (Real Cost: 3)

Some might question the use of Mind Link as the "Trigger Sense" - my second choice is "Detect Death" with the Radio group, with lots of levels and Telescopic - you do NOT want to "miss your own funeral." I may also be misremembering the value of the "only with Trigger" Limitation.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks Lucius is often dense

First of all, if this is too divergent, I apologize for the thread-jack. However, I went through this a while ago, and this is what I came up with:

Option C ?

The character is an electric energy projector, and my idea was that their electrical activity in their brain remains coherent after death and, given time, reforms their body.

25 - Persistent Electrical Activity: Duplication (400-point duplicate), Trigger (Zero-phase to activate, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset, Does not control activation, Activation is character's death (+¼); Extra Time (1 Day, only to Activate, -2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is ised (Process causes lightning strikes, electrical damage to surrounding area; -1), No Averaging (-0)

7 - Regeneration (1 BODY per 6 hours), Resurrection; Resurrection Only (-2), Limited Power (1/3 - Only to replace Duplicates; -½)

This way the process takes some time, is somewhat messy, and cannot be duplicated rapidly.

However, I have generally found that characters rarely die in Champions games. UNLESS they have a power like this :)

It seems quite expensive for the ability.

7 - Regeneration (1 BODY per 6 hours), Resurrection; Resurrection Only (-2),

would cost 8 points and avoid a lot of the drawbacks.

Mind you, I do not believe the Resurrection adder should be limited by the "Resurrection only" limitation in either case. Resurrection is only for resurrection anyway.

7 - Regeneration (1 BODY per 6 hours), Resurrection; Resurrection Only (-2),

would cost 8 points and avoid a lot of the drawbacks.

yeah, but the ability needs to be pretty much guaranteed to work.

doesnt Regen as written require conscious thought from the user ?

Regen, as written (at least in 6th) is 'persistent' and always on, unless limited otherwise.

Mechanon-style 'resurrection', if written on an NPC and not a cheese-filled PC power, might actually be a power of his base (Megascale-Range Healing with Resurrection)

I just stumbled on this Power I created some time ago:

My Tomb is My Womb: (Total: 155 Active Cost, 56 Real Cost) Duplication (creates 500-point form), Cannot Recombine (-0), No Averaging (-0), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Character's death; +1/4) (125 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Day, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, One day for new body to generate; -2 1/4), OIF Immobile (-1 1/2) (Real Cost: 26) plus Mind Link , One Specific Mind, No LOS Needed, Psychic Bond, Unlimited range in this dimension and can reach into other dimensions (Real Cost: 30)

I don't know what I was thinking when I put in Mind Link...maybe that the decedant is Mind Linked to the successor, "interdimensionally" i.e. through time?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks I need to keep better notes

As a point of clarification' date=' will "resurrection only" restore a character to full BOD, to 1 positive BOD or to -[bOD less 1'] but not bleeding?

Imo that depends on special effects involved. For example one character in our campaign has Rebirth-special effect in her resurrect (as in "Dead character's soul wanders in the Deadlands for a while before returning back to life.") returns the character back in fully healed body. And another character has "My Physical Body Will Always Be As It Was At the Time of My Mummification Ritual" will slowly regenerate wounds and return to her former living self. She returns to life the moment her still mutilated body can support life, and because of her high Recovery usually recovers consciousness before all her Body has been recovered.

(In reality it is the same character who has those two resurrection powers, but that is beside the point. Second Resurrect method is much faster, but if it fails, she has backup. I went for WoD mummy approach here but boosted it a bit ;)

Edit 2: Oops. You were talking about "Resurrection Only". I didn't answer that, did I? :( I guess if the character above had "Resurrection only"-limit in her regenerations, the first method she would recover in fully healed body, and with second she would return to life at a non-bleeding-state with -7 Body, which is the max her body can still support life (Her body max is only 8 - she tends to die a lot)

Edit 2: Oops. You were talking about "Resurrection Only". I didn't answer that' date=' did I? :( I guess if the character above had "Resurrection only"-limit in her regenerations, the first method she would recover in fully healed body, and with second she would return to life at a non-bleeding-state with -7 Body, which is the max her body can still support life (Her body max is only 8 - she tends to die a lot)[/quote']

It seems to me that these are very different results, which begs the question which is the default and what should be the point cost/savings for varying from the default.

It seems to me that these are very different results' date=' which begs the question which is the default and what should be the point cost/savings for varying from the default.[/quote']

They are two different powers. No points saved.

Btw: This threatens to go outside the topic.

Btw: This threatens to go outside the topic.

Probably, but the cost of any power factors into its design.

They are two different powers. No points saved.

Well, Immediate Resurrection to Full BOD is a power.

A different power is Regeneration at a different location that takes three months.

I would suggest they should have identical costs only if they have identical (ie balanced) benefits and drawbacks.