Self Resurrection

Egyptoid

Re: Self Resurrection

well in the book' date=' Mechanon has [b']Duplication [/b]; Original Character Is Incapacitated And Helpless While Duplicate Exists (-1)

which is in no way what I expected.

Apart from anything else that's worth way more than -1. :)

For Mechanon style resurrection, I think Summon is probably the best way to do it (with "summoner is incapacitated and helpless until summoned creature dies" as a limitation) - Summoned creatures don't penalise you if they die, whereas Duplicates can't be replaced on death. Granted you can just spend 5 more points and double the number of duplicates, but I think Summon is "cleaner" - you can whack on limitations like "Extra Time (to construct creature)" and "Only in laboratory" and so on to bring the cost down (you will of course require Slavishly Loyal).

As a point of clarification' date=' will "resurrection only" restore a character to full BOD, to 1 positive BOD or to -[bOD less 1'] but not bleeding?

Well, I've always thought "Resurrection Only" means "Not until you're dead."

So, you die, the Power kicks on, the Limitation ceases to matter while the Power is active (because it's basically a Limitation on when it can activate) and the Power runs until it reaches its logical endpoint. If it's Regeneration, that's when you are at full BODy. If it's Xd6 Healing, you roll the dice, count the BOD, and add that to the point of death.

So if your normal BOD is 8, you have 6d6 Healing, and you roll 4 Bod, you would be at

-8 + 4 = -4

So you'd be at 4 BOD below zero, but stabilized - until someone hits you again. You can't even try rerolling the Healing dice the next day, unless you die again first. (I supppose suicide is an option...) Unless you have some other Healing or Regeneration, you're stuck with a long period of recuperation until you're at full BOD again - but what did you expect? You were DEAD.

Lucius Alexander

Deactivating a palindromedary

Probably' date=' but the cost of any power factors into its design.[/quote']

Agreed.

I am not sure if the text below was still directed at my post - if it wasn't, feel free to ignore the replies:

Well' date=' Immediate Resurrection to Full BOD is a power.[/quote']

In my character's case, the 'immediate full body resurrection' takes weeks or even months, ie: it is not quite immediate. In practice the character is out of play during this time because her soul is in whatever place souls go when they are released from their fleshy prison. So far she has not had to use this power to return to life and the campaign has been going for about year and three months, with about three games per month.

A different power is Regeneration at a different location that takes three months.

If the character's body isn't destroyed, it regenerates back into life in five or more minutes and starts regenerating at it's natural 1 Bod / Minute rate until it is back in condition in which it was those five millennia ago. If the resurrect was limited with "Resurrection Only", she would resurrect at -7 Body and Stable. She thanks her Egyptian gods that she doesn't have that limitation. :)

I would suggest they should have identical costs only if they have identical (ie balanced) benefits and drawbacks.

The two powers of the character don't have identical costs and don't do identical things, so I am following your suggestion here. :)

PS: Sorry, but I don't remember the builds of the powers by heart, so I cannot write them down here - if I remember, I will write them down here after the game tonight, but I would not hold my breath - I won't probably remember the thread until I am back here at work.

In my character's case' date=' the 'immediate full body resurrection' takes weeks or even months, ie: it is not quite immediate. In practice the character is out of play during this time because her soul is in whatever place souls go when they are released from their fleshy prison. So far she has not had to use this power to return to life and the campaign has been going for about year and three months, with about three games per month.[/quote']

So does this power have "resurrection only"? And, if so, why does it result in a fully healed body when

If the character's body isn't destroyed' date=' it regenerates back into life in five or more minutes and starts regenerating at it's natural 1 Bod / Minute rate until it is back in condition in which it was those five millennia ago. [b']If the resurrect was limited with "Resurrection Only", she would resurrect at -7 Body and Stable.[/b] She thanks her Egyptian gods that she doesn't have that limitation. :)

Either Resurrection Only brings you back to full BOD or it brings you back to just barely alive, and the other choice is a power with different limitations.

I'd be fine with either as a default, but I'm curious whether anyone has actually set a default. The Healing option is a bit easier to adjudicate, as Lucius suggests above, in that it will only work on a dead character. But then shouldn't regeneration, resurrection only, also shut down once the character is alive again? He's no longer "resurrecting" once he's no longer dead.

So does this power have "resurrection only"? And, if so, why does it result in a fully healed body when

Either Resurrection Only brings you back to full BOD or it brings you back to just barely alive, and the other choice is a power with different limitations.

I'd be fine with either as a default, but I'm curious whether anyone has actually set a default. The Healing option is a bit easier to adjudicate, as Lucius suggests above, in that it will only work on a dead character. But then shouldn't regeneration, resurrection only, also shut down once the character is alive again? He's no longer "resurrecting" once he's no longer dead.

No, because there is a difference between a limitation on when a Power works, and a Limitation on when a Power can be activated.

If you Dispel or otherwise disrupt the Regeneration before it's complete, it would need to be activated again too, and if it's Resurrection Only, the character is stuck with below optimum BOD until it heals normally or by some other means.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary, only when dead

No' date=' because there is a difference between a limitation on when a Power [i']works[/i], and a Limitation on when a Power can be activated.

So far so good. However, Regeneration is a persistent power, and doesn't turn off when you aren't injured (it just doesn't happen to do anything useful - much like Life Support breathe underwater doesn't do anything while you're in air, but it isn't switched off).

That would seem to imply that by this reasoning, if you have ever died, your "resurrection only" Regeneration will be active (there isn't any reason to switch it off - I suppose it could be Dispelled, but that's a corner case at best). If Dispelling really bothered you can you take Inherent on it? There isn't any clear reason why not.

I grant you that "resurrection only Regeneration kicks in as soon as you are 'dead' and deactivates once you are at full BODY" is a reasonable way to rule it though. Perhaps we just assume that "deactivates once you are at full BODY" is part of the "resurrection only" limitation.

So far so good. However, Regeneration is a persistent power, and doesn't turn off when you aren't injured (it just doesn't happen to do anything useful - much like Life Support breathe underwater doesn't do anything while you're in air, but it isn't switched off).

You have a point. Hm. Maybe it's not as clear and straightforward as I thought.

Lucius Alexander

Persistant palindromedary

Gazza makes the point above.

No' date=' because there is a difference between a limitation on when a Power [i']works[/i], and a Limitation on when a Power can be activated.

Yes, there is. And my question is aimed at which is the default for "regeneration only" resurrection and, moving from that, what the modifier would be for deviating from that default.

Turns out there was a third possibility we hadn't even considered...

A Healing or Regeneration power with the Resurrection Only Limitation only restores a character to 1 BODY at most (and possibly not even that much' date=' depending on the Healing roll and how far into negative BODY the victim is). Once a character reaches 1 BODY he’s no longer dead or in any danger of dying, and therefore a Resurrection Only power can no longer apply to him. [/quote']

So there we have the default rule. You get back to 1 BOD and stop. This also seems to imply a character at negative BOD is still bleeding out until he gets some other assistance (paramedic, for example).

Steve also notes that Healing only to resurrect is a -1/2 limitation, where Regen is -2. I suppose they should reasonably differ since Healing is capped per day on BOD restored, so there are already limits on how much it can restore in a time period. Whether the difference should be that dramatic, I don't know.

okay, lets try a different tack: :confused:

I am a player in your game. My PC will be a robotic , an artifical life-form who has a backup body, and with triggered activation upon verification of the main form's demise. Limitation: if enemies infiltrate my base, disperse the equipment, or other circumstances can fail and he doesn't return to life.Plus it takes a week or so to get going again.

how would you as GM guide me to write up this power ? (6E wording, please)

Thanks.

First off, you need a base.

The base would need a Healing power with the Resurrection adder only usable on your character. The Triggered Activation can be folded into a computer programmed to start the Resurrection cycle on verification of the prior version's demise. Limit this with "1 week to activate" (after which the Healing kicks in), toss in a Reduced Re-use time (so shortly after the week, you're up and running) and Limit the healing to only be able to start activating if the main form is verified as dead.

If we also want the movement to base covered, the base gets 1 meter Megascale teleport (you decide how big the scale must be; planetary at least) Usable Against Others, Selective, only affects the specific character,1 fixed location (back to base), must use fixed location. The fact the husk/corpse is left behind is just SFX.