Getting to know the game

Christopher

Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum and the entire hero-system. Well, actually I don't even know the system at all, but I'm here to change that :)

I think the best way would be to have a demo game/adventure. Unfotunately I could find nothing in that direction on main site. I did found a lot of PC/NPC sheets, the 4 to 5E conversion rules, the faq, ...

I think I'm get some of the basics and a glimpse of the posibillites of the system.

Still, I would like to know the game a little bit better before I start investing time (the money isnt't that problematic) in another RGP-System. As I see it, there is an active maptools/chat game comunity so that may be my best chance (I live in Germany).

My preferences in the long run will clearly be a Superhero/Campions setting, but any setting would be fine to begin with.

Re: Getting to know the game

One of the best might be to just grab a few characters from online and just start running a combat to learn how it really works in practice.

The most important part may be, to find a group playing by chat. It seems impossible to find any hero-players/gm in germany (especially in my limited radius of movement) and my current gaming group already plays to many different systems to try another (even if I would be able to be the GM).

I think running a lot of mock combats is a good approach.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the combat system is optional. Other things, like skill levels and power advantages are core rules, but you don't have to build with them.

So, build very simple characters, then layer on new concepts and test them out, finally ending with testing the optional rules.

Welcome to HERO, and to our community, Christopher. I hope you enjoy your time with both. :)

For a quick but informative FREE intro to the Sixth Edition of HERO System, I suggest you check the fine attachment to this forum thread: Hero In Two Pages - Complete. That will give you all the basic concepts and mechanics of the game.

Moving on from that point, I recommend picking up the HERO System Sixth Edition Basic Rulebook. It was specifically designed and playtested to teach the game to newcomers, in plain English with lots of examples. It's much smaller than the full ruleset, but completely compatible with it. The main difference is trimming down the detailed explanations and numerous optional elements. Basic is actually a complete playable game in itself -- you could run 90% of the published support material using this book alone. It's a relatively inexpensive gateway to the game to see if you like it, and even when you're ready to "upgrade" to the complete rules it makes a handy quick-reference at the gaming table, or to lend to new players to get them up to speed.

Honestly, this thread was mostly about finding someone who would be willing to play with me said mock-combats. Preferebly someone from the mapstools comunity. But nobody showed up and the organisator didn't react to pm's.

By now I have the basic-rulebook and try to get into one of the herocentral.net campaings (as sugested somewhere above), so this problem is mostly solved.