ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

4. Expansions of the STR Chart (so you'll know what you can lift with 400 STR!) and Adding Damage tables, etc. I have whipped up things like this for my own occasional use, so I might as well let you use 'em too.
Would the latter include expanded versions of the Damage Classes Quick-Reference Tables from the back of 6E Vol 1? I would be very grateful if I didn't have to spend time calculating (and second guessing my math) to figure out how much damage a 33 STR should add to the odd +2 1/4 advantaged HKA.

Something else I'd really like to see is an expanded Armor Coverage Table dealing with a wider selection of sectional armors and the various possible combinations of same. (i.e., if Amazing Amazon is wearing a low-cut breastplate that protects locations 12-13 and bracelets that protect location 7 but no other armor, what is the appropriate Requires a Roll number and Limitation value?)

Would the latter include expanded versions of the Damage Classes Quick-Reference Tables from the back of 6E Vol 1?

Yes, that's the whole point of what I'm talking about. Not sure whether I'll get up as high as +2 1/4, but you never know.

Something else I'd really like to see is an expanded Armor Coverage Table dealing with a wider selection of sectional armors and the various possible combinations of same.

Sorry, but if I ever go into something like that beyond what's already in FH, it'll have to happen in an "Ultimate Armor" sort of book, not an APG.

+1/4 Half Range Mods

-1/4 Double Range Mods

+1/4 Increased by Range (opposite of reduced by range, starts at 2d6 and goes up with each range increment)

?? Inverted Explosion based on the above.

Option to combine PD and ED into one DEF stat, and its impact on other powers.

Discussion of Entangle and separating the 'stops attacks' and 'stops movement' effects, to reflect mesmerizing effects from Champs Online and other MMOs.

Rules that deal with Desolid vs Mental Powers

I have thought about that. Desolidification is just as two 100% Damage Reduction (Energy/Physical) with a ton of disadvantages (enough that it affects how the Active Points should be calculated for it).

When you want near Imunity to Mental Powes, just take 50-75% Damage Reduction (Mental).

Actually, how about rules for 100% Damage Reduction that flow through to the cost of Desolidification as 100% Damage Reduction, costs END (reduced value since we drop the AP for Desolid), character cannot affect physical world, etc., plus the ability to pass through solid objects (presumably the latter costs about 13 points since "does not protect against damage" is typically assessed as a -2 limitation).

Added to that, perhaps a discussion of modifying AP (mainly relevant for frameworks) when limitations are sufficiently significant to change the character of the power.

A sample set of everysuper powers.

Suggestions for simplifying Adjustment power wearoff. The 5 points per turn can be annoying, especially if different powers with different wearoff rates are involved.

Mind Scan/Telepathy Belongs to Different Sense Group

Modifier to make Growth or Shrinking that doesn’t affect mass. Modifier to make Shrinking that only affects mass.

Two-Way Transparent for Barrier (As One-Way Transparent, except both directions)

For Mind Control: Controlled Actions use Controller’s Phases

Making different dimensions effectively Desolid to one another, and Affects Physical World therefore be needed to benefit from Transdimensional.

Splitting Focus into its component parts.

Requires A Roll: Having the roll based on the target’s characteristic.

Rules for temporary death, for those campaigns in which such is appropriate.

Rules to discourage pushing; possibly STUN loss equal to the END cost.

Rules for sleep deprivation

The topic of a Barrier that is Transparent to Energy in both directions, but blocks Physical in both directions, or vice versa, seems like one that merits some coverage. A Force Screen that blocks laser and similar weaponry, but does nothing to prevent thrown rocks or physical passage is not uncommon in a science fiction setting. A Fantasy barrier that screens out all magic but anything else can pass through also seems like something that should be possible to build.

How does a 2 way transparent barrier actually exist?

Did you just asked how glass can exist?

Edit: Now I get It, you want something like an energy shield: Only affects Energy and only can be affected by energy. Basically a mostly desolidfied Barrier (except for the attacks it should work against).

Edit 2: the question is: Would this still affect things like Flashes that pass throug it? If not: ED with a UOO variant and the limitation "only for attacks from outside the protected area".

An attack that is strong enough to break the shield from outside would be a Dispel/Drain agianst barriers (Shieldbreaker). Or just doing enough damage so you hit the generator (Focus) under it's protection.

Did you just asked how glass can exist?

Edit: Now I get It, you want something like an energy shield: Only affects Energy and only can be affected by energy. Basically a mostly desolidfied Barrier (except for the attacks it should work against).

Edit 2: the question is: Would this still affect things like Flashes that pass throug it? If not: ED with a UOO variant and the limitation "only for attacks from outside the protected area".

An attack that is strong enough to break the shield from outside would be a Dispel/Drain agianst barriers (Shieldbreaker). Or just doing enough damage so you hit the generator (Focus) under it's protection.

Wouldn't it just be a barrier with only ED and no PD? If you want it to work only on some types of energy, sounds like a limitation "Only works vs Pulson Energy, -1".

Wouldn't it just be a barrier with only ED and no PD? If you want it to work only on some types of energy' date=' sounds like a limitation "Only works vs Pulson Energy, -1".[/quote']

No. A barrier with no PD can be easily destroyed by a Punch. Phyisical Attacks, Flashes and the like are still affected by it.

What they wan't is close to the Episode 1 Gungan Shieldgenerator: Blocks all energy attacks, but it is neither affected nor does it affect matter (a normal barrier with Desolidification, Only material world).

It's not really a limitation as, like i said, it also can't be attacked by anything but Pulson Energy with what they have in mind.

Edit: made a How To Build Thread about it

This is not the place to discuss the rules, take it to a new thread. This is the place to request things for Steve to put in the book.

Now, I'd like an Expanded/Alternate Invisibility broken down to purchase as a single Sense (Targeting and Non-Targeting) like most Sense Affecting Powers do; In short I'd like to buy something like "Invisibility: Normal Sight" without needing to resort to Limitations.

A thought on "excessive" Complications (that is, those beyond the stated limit, or those gained in play): perhaps, instead of the choice between having more Character points than the GM wants to allow or taking Complications for no value, a character could have Complications worth Heroic Action Points -- say, +1 HAP per game session for every 5 CPs the Complications would otherwise be worth.

Anyway, it's an option worth thinking about.

A discussion on extra complications seems useful. I've found the rewards can be pretty intangible. GM doesn't agree with how limiting that is? OK, I have 15, instead of 20, extra points of complications. That DNPC shows up too often and strains credibility, or just is annoying by its excessive presence? Drop the frequency - now you only have 10 extra points. Your Hero has resolved his Claustrophobia? So drop the 10 point Complication - you still have the full point value.

I'm not sure what can really be added on the subject of changing complications as the game progresses, but that could merit some discussion as well.

This might be a nice "soft issue" in the book, not dealing with as much crunch. Then again, maybe that's a sign that this is not the book for that discussion.

Oh, geez, that reminds me:

Alternative Experience Award Guidelines: Faster/slower progression, use of "percentage of base points"(instead of flat point awards--this means that how much xp you get would be based on your starting points), story-based xp growth, "radiation accidents" and sudden rapid xp growth(think DBZ type "1 year's training in one day" type shtick).

A revamped combat rating system for characters--i.e., there was an old Adventurer's Club article which tried to do such a system, in order to get a ballpark idea of how two characters might compare