ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II -- What Do *You* Want To See?

That's a pity. I' date=' for one, would at least have liked to see an extension of "Requires A Roll" to include "requires the target to fail a Characteristic Roll." Maybe a couple of paragraphs on that, and a small table?[/quote']

Well, you still have Attack vs Alternative Charactersitic and you could make an AVAD, does BODY, targetting a Charactersitic as a defense. In fact, that could be a very common defense for that matter - literally everyone get's 10 Points STR, CON, INT and the like for Free. You still have to pay to does body, however (unless your GM thinks this form of avad is a limitation).

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I've noticed about Mental Powers based on the discussions I see - they seem to be hard to balance. Either they come out too powerful and people complain that they're combat-enders' date=' or they come out too weak and the complaint is that they seem to do little or nothing.[/quote']

This is definitely part of the problem. If the mentalist's targets pretty much always break out' date=' the mentalist's player feels ripped off. If mental powers are highly effective, the players are unhappy when their PC's are targeted by mental powers.[/quote']

Anything that gets the "All or nothing" Part out of the Mental Powers is a good thing.

Ultimate Mentalist books (both the 5th edition and the earlier for 4th edition) detailed some Mind-To-Mind/Mental Maneuvers, and used the "Incremental Effect" idea for Mental Powers. Something like that (or just a brief discussion of the concept) would make roleplaying the effects more interesting (for both Mentalists and their targets); possibly, just a variation of the PRE Attack table might suffice.

• 3 weeks later...

Damage Negation suggests an option to be resistant to a special effect, rather than a mechanical defense type. Expansion of this to other defense powers would be a nice inclusion, hopefully going beyond "hey, you could do the same thing with other defense types". Perhaps some discussion of expansion of the defense to multiple special effects (as is possible with Adjustment powers) and a discussion of advantages or limitations for very common or very rare special effects.

Not sure if it's been said, but a good way of simulating gags, radio jammers, and other ways of blocking communication would be useful. There are workarounds (Darkness, change environment) but no clear way of directly stopping incantations. Not sure whether it would be best suited as some form of Flash or an adder to Entangles, or both, but there should be some clear rules for stopping transmissions.

There are workarounds (Darkness' date=' change environment) but no clear way of directly stopping incantations. Not sure whether it would be best suited as some form of Flash or an adder to Entangles, or both, but there should be some clear rules for stopping transmissions.[/quote']

Actually Darkness, Flash and Entangle with adder are the way to stop transmissions, not the workaround. When you mean that the range is to small for a real jammer, you can just apply megascale. And most mundane items have a lot of Limitations (especialy focus), so real costs won't be a problem.

Darkness (hearing) explicitly stops incatations. A Mind Link, affected as Radio and hearing can be stopped by any Sense affecting power that affects either group.

6E2 7 has a lot written about it.

Optional Standard Effect: allow 1/2d6 to have a 2 point standard effect so that you can build standard effect for any number: at present, for example, you can not have a '5 point standard effect' unless you buy a 6 point one and say only 5 points count, which tastes bad.

Optional Standard Effect: allow 1/2d6 to have a 2 point standard effect so that you can build standard effect for any number: at present' date=' for example, you can not have a '5 point standard effect' unless you buy a 6 point one and say only 5 points count, which tastes bad.[/quote']I thought that already was the rule. At any rate, that's how I've been working it.

Double-checking on 6ER 133, I see that I was in error. And what you say should be the standard rule IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finishing up the book later today' date=' so it's time to take this thread down. Thanx to everyone who made a suggestion![/quote']You're welcome -- I'm glad I could contribute.

(Of course, I suppose we're going to have to wait for the book to come out to find out which suggestions made it in -- which is very understandable, given the volume of suggestions.)

You're welcome -- I'm glad I could contribute.

(Of course, I suppose we're going to have to wait for the book to come out to find out which suggestions made it in -- which is very understandable, given the volume of suggestions.)

And is is really a lot. This is Post 200, for example.

I'm finishing up the book later today' date=' so it's time to take this thread down. Thanx to everyone who made a suggestion![/quote']

Always glad to help. Now, time to start thinking of new questions to inspire APG3! :D

First we have to see whats in APG2 - you know' date=' to avoid redundancy.[/quote']
Or doing things over again.
Like remembering your Personal Identification Number number at the Automated Teller Machine machine. ;)

Late to the party but I'd like to see a discussion of Characteristics in some supplement. What exactly to they mean outside of their mechanical function. How healthy is a Constitution 10 compared to an 8 or a 20? What are Characteristics rolls good for vs Skills? This discussion might be an good place the "saving throw" concept to be tossed around and rules for Disease, Infection, advanced rules for healing and overall long term stamina, etc.

Late to the party but I'd like to see a discussion of Characteristics in some supplement. What exactly to they mean outside of their mechanical function. How healthy is a Constitution 10 compared to an 8 or a 20? What are Characteristics rolls good for vs Skills? This discussion might be an good place the "saving throw" concept to be tossed around and rules for Disease' date=' Infection, advanced rules for healing and overall long term stamina, etc.[/quote']

Steve was asked for a saving throw mechanic (even here), and repeadedly answered: There is no such thing in hero.

When you want something to work less well agaisnt con, build is as AVAD (Constitution, Does Body), make it continuous/uncontrolled with "Make a Con roll by X" as the common disable method, or use Transform vs. CON to apply a desease.

Steve was asked for a saving throw mechanic (even here), and repeadedly answered: There is no such thing in hero.

When you want something to work less well agaisnt con, build is as AVAD (Constitution, Does Body), make it continuous/uncontrolled with "Make a Con roll by X" as the common disable method, or use Transform vs. CON to apply a desease.

That's why I used quotes. Char rolls might be used in a manner similar to saving throws in that other system as mechanic in Heroic games and having some general guidelines for that would be quite helpful as well a general discusssion of characteristic rolls. They are a mecahanic that I don't think gets enough attention in Hero System. The above is fine in a game where you are going to stat out every disease, disability, etc or they're only going to show up as supervillain attacks but in Heroic games, particularly gritter ones a different approach would be useful for Hero System players. It would add to the univeral aspect of the system. I and some other Hero gamers have wanted to see something like that for years and a book of optional rules seems like a good place to put them.