New Protectors Rising! (Bay City Campaign idea)

Hermit

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Re: New Protectors Rising! (Bay City Campaign idea)

And the Battle is Joined!

In our first true test as a team, the wanna be Protectors have had their stealth gambit stymed but still seem to have the drop on the Masters of Fortune!

With the concealed Solar Knight revealed by the Scottish engine of Destruction (and attraction, let's face facts) Cateran, Renegade and Wildstorm sprang to the rescue! They managed to get a few quick shots in, but Cateran isn't exactly begging for mercy and Renegade might be feeling it for a while.

Outside, the villainous and arrogant Whitestar spotted the highly decoratvie and poorly stealthed Olympian and Starwatch and the Demi-God of Justice were forced to act! So far, the super-strong Olympian has been far more effective striking than damaging. But Starwatch's energy globes have held fast and Whitestar has yet to do much of anything. Flurry cut in to help there.

A lucky glance by Olympian spotted an incoming Bowman and he just charged the Angry Archer's hi-tech motorcycle. (Insurance premiums will skyrocket)

Also...a new player has entered the game! Who is the Mimic?

• 3 weeks later...

With the Masters of Fortune ambushed, their leader Cateran now on her way back to justice... the 'new' protectors (including Mimic, who stumbled onto the scene) return home to meet the once captured REAL Night Owl. A celebration banquet is prepared, but alas, the hits keep coming. Captain Thunder, Doc Sonic, and Ace have discovered they had not one, but two spies in their midst. His cover exposed, Mr Republic, a former PRIMUS agent, admits he is on assignment from Homeland security to spy on the Protectors and make sure they never go rogue again. Renegade II is tempted to go for him, but reminds himself he is not a convict anymore, and merely makes a threat to the Federal agent.

after Mr. Republic leaves, our heroes await the last words on whether they're fully in or not... but one last complication awaits

Doc Sonic looks to Flurry, "Flurry, you've been great, but...how old are you?"

Flurry swallows, "Uhm...18."

Doc Sonic uses something few heroes have, the dread technique known as 'The mommy voice' , "Young laaaady..."

Flurry blurts out, "Ok, in just five more months, it rounds up!"

"Oh my." Ace says.

"Oh dear," States a worried looking Doc Sonic.

Capt Thunder puts his head in his hand, "Oy Vey."

I don't think she'll go for the 'ward' idea...

And there's the question of what sort of baggage she's got. I'd worry about giving the GM ideas, except I'm pretty sure he already has them... ;D

Renegade and Golden Axe had their encounter over a stolen bit of highly reflective Jade

Three 'Men' in white robes and conical hats attempted to take another piece of highly reflective jade from one Chen hsu, antique store owner. They turned out to be freaky demon green light things that Mimic and Starwatch destroyed.

An auction where both Olympian and Solar Knight were attending has ...you guessed it, another piece of highly reflective jade for sale. Copper Spear has offered one thousand dollars for it, and has threatened anyone who bids higher.

Daniel Fong aka Wildstorm, finds himself at a skateboarding competion. One young competitor of Chinese descent is being eyed by a sexy girl with a fox tattoo on her shoulder.

• 2 months later...

Well, poor Flurry seems to be stoned at the moment. In the literal sense. Renegade is less than pleased about this, since he was with her when it happened...

The team has split into two. One group (Renegade, Wildstorm, Solar Knight and Flurry) has stayed at the base to keep an eye on the one piece of Jade we've found ourselves guardians of.

The second group (Starwatch, Mimic, Olympian and Nightowl) went to meet with the father of the youngster Wildstorm encountered at the skateboard tournament, who may well have another of the Jade Shards which have become the focus of everyone's attention.

The Shards are apparently part of something called the Jade Mirror of Transcedence, and they're being sought by Yin Wu. At this point, we seem to have acquired a second shard and defeated four of the Sons of Wu. Iron Whirlwind and Silver Hand (plus some minions) attacked the first group on at the Citadel -- Flurry was transformed into a statue during the initial attack. Copper Spear and Brass Bow (plus some minions) attempted to acquire the piece of the Mirror in Mr Chin's care. Mimic managed to escape with the Shard (to the annoyance of Golden Axe), while the others dealt with the more obvious threat...

• 1 year later...

Ok. Lots of changes to the game. Big Evil in Little China went well enough, at least I'd like to think so. Then we had a massive slow down as RL hit everyone. It postponed a storyline I had involving a Qualaar space monster and gadroon troopers. Add to that HC going down for period, and it seemed the game was gone for good.

But we've managed to kick it up again. One player went with a new character, while another new guy is on board.

The former player of Renegade 2 has that character hitting the streets to deal with a crimelord off panel. His new character is Pathfinder aka John Wraithe. A son who was born in the aether, raised by monks, and is very confused why much of the multiverse doesn't seem to know the name of Eric Wraithe, aka the Warlock.

Silver Bullet was a college guy who went missing into a pocket dimension called 'the Zeta Zone', and came out of it a year later with the power to shrink and move at super speeds thanks to an odd silvery coating on his body. He was actually invited onto the team in time to take a look at the marketing plans.

Pathfinder crashed that party, much to the annoyance of the Protector's marketing agent Rebecca (Who is Starwatch's sister, though she doesn't yet know of his superheroing lifestyle). . Things were straightened out a bit when news came in of a new problem.

There was a fight between superteams at the golden gate park. One team was well known, the Ultimates. The other had never been heard of.

Their description though, was as follows:

A bare chested Australian who used a katana, throwing stars, and nunchucks.

A radioactive african american woman in blue and yellow.

An alien humanoid wearing a circlet on his head and having skin made seemingly of obsidian.

A were cat of some sort.

And a fellow in powered armor themed in the colors of red,white and blue.

Binder had encased another of their members in an opague bubble of goo, but when they broke her out, she was wearing a mix of humble cape and cowl, and less modest highboots. Around her flew a little sparkling gem like thing.

The players were tickled or delighted. The characters just knew that the armor guys armor, color scheme aside, reminded them a bit of Defender in MC. Turns out he actually called himself Victor, because until they had to run, he'd never lost a fight, or so he claimed.

Long story short, two teams beat the SNOT out of the Ultimates, introductions got under way. Obsidian and the others explained that they had been driven from their Earth by the forces of Istvatha V'han. They'd escaped here. It all seemed well, when Pathfinder got paranoid, and decided the group must actually be a vanguard force for the Empress. Spies and scouts who'd sold out and been sent on her behalf. For a moment, it looked like there might be another fight, but when some of the Ultimates tried to get away during the stand off, the two teams put that aside for the moment and made sure they stayed captured.

Starwatch suggested both teams head to the Citadel (and had it cleared of civilian personnel secretly) to talk. Victor agreed but only to discuss matters. His team was too shy about them now to just turn themselves in as if they were criminals, or so he claimed. Quantum was angry still, and seemingly flew off in a huff.

Pathfinder decided to follow her.

I'll put the rest in Spoilers so I don't ruin it for any of my players

In a nut shell, Quantum circled around, then found the Star*bird, the team vehicle of the ultimates. Not only did she find it, she had the passcode. Pathfinder followed her in, and confronted her. This was the reveal: Quantum doesn't seem surprised as she works over some controls, "We have the Ultimates on our world too, or had them anyway. Does it really surprise you that they might use the same pass codes?"

She presses a few more buttons, "But let's say your suspicious ass doesn't know that. Let's say you can't believe I'd know my way around this place THAT well. Well, then you'd have to ask yourself, how else would I know? You could think I'm in league with them, but use your brains. Even a paranoid man like you has to realize that Jaguar nearly KILLED Binder, and it isn't the sort of thing he'd allow just for a cover or fake out."

The Star*bird activates fully, "But maybe, if you thought about it harder, you'd remember we have a mentalist. You were checking her out when you cracked her free? And maybe, you'd realize that she had plenty of time to read Binder's thoughts and memories, probably when you thought she might be doing the same to you. But then, why wouldn't we tell you? "

Quantum snorts, "Given that you accused us working for Istvatha V'han, I think that would be reason enough. We hate that ####. Yeah, just not trusting YOU would now be reason enough." Her eyes glow, as she sees him shuffle his feet, "But then, maybe you're not a COMPLETE idiot. Maybe it's just you got the details wrong. See, when we say we were kicked out of OUR World? We weren't being sentimental. We owned a good chunk of it. Nice set up. Had to destroy a city or two make North America decide liberty and justice wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but you'd be amazed what taking out Detroit will do for destroying a country's morale. Then V'han came...and millions of ungrateful little pissants from our universe welcomed her with open arms. They called her the great liberator. We had to flee for our lives. You see, John... Can I call you John? You see John, we're NOT her loyal troopers. We're what you'd call supervillains, and baby, we were the best of the best of the worst!"

And she fires!

All the products seem to jumble in my mind, but didn't Huntsman have a son that took over? I seem to remember there being more than one of them, but I'm not sure how I would know that since I've never owned To Protect and Serve.

No one named The Huntsman in CNM. You are probably thinking of The Marksman who retired due to injuries sustained during the Proprietor War.

There was a hero family who always had a son who took over when the father or grandfather retired from heroing.

• 5 months later...