Scientific question about gravity

Trencher

Hello two questions showed up in my star hero campain from the player who play the scientist. The first question was "why does gravity work?" First I would like a suggestion for a sci-fi reason, and then what kind of research it would take for his scientist to figure it out.

The other question was "Is there vacuum in space?" But don't worry I had a answer for that one.

Re: Scientific question about gravity

Maybe you could be a little more specific with your question? This could be a very long answer if answered properly, but if your looking for something a little easier then...in short, it's all about mass. Here is a link that may help answer your question.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/question232.htm

There is no accepted, workable theory of gravity on the microscale (which is, I think, what most people would look to when after the question "how does gravity work") at this time. Newton's and Einstein's theories are descriptive on the macroscale, so they describe what happens because of gravity, if not the nuts and bolts of what is going on to effect those phenomena. I don't work out in that part of the theoretical boondocks, but while there's some vague ideas for the problem, there's nothing with any real predictive power now.

Hello two questions showed up in my star hero campain from the player who play the scientist. The first question was "why does gravity work?" First I would like a suggestion for a sci-fi reason, and then what kind of research it would take for his scientist to figure it out.

The other question was "Is there vacuum in space?" But don't worry I had a answer for that one.

I assume what he is looking for is a way to create gravity at will. You could use the search for gravity waves as a starting point. Diving into the realm of sci-fi you could then treat gravity like electomagnetic radiation (radio and light waves). You could have directed gravity beams using antennas or lenses and static gravity or anti gravity fields of nearly any shape. The research would be in discovering the gravity waves and learning how to adapt the tools we use for electromagnetic waves and fields to gravity.

I know you said you had an answer for the second question but I think there is a confusion in the question. Vacuum is space to the extent that there is no matter in it.