Quantum from Dragon Magazine #111, 1986 by George MacDonald

Mathew

Back in 1986, Dragon Magazine number 111 printed an article by George MacDonald called "Quantum, Power and Super-Power in the Champions Game." This article detailed the subject of making a character at different levels of "power" for your Champions game.

As an example George created a character named Quantum (no relation to the mutant hero in the BBB). Quantum is a woman who gained super powers thanks to an accident with a device created by Doctor Destroyer (read the article for details). George presented tables of Quantum's stats. She ranged in five levels from a starter heroine, to a goddess of destruction who took on alien battle fleets.

Presented here are full writeups for all five versions of Quantum, based on George's tables, in easy to use character sheets, updated to 4th edition rules.

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/QUANTUM1.pdf (300+ points)

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/QUANTUM2.pdf (600+ points)

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/QUANTUM3.pdf (900+ points)

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/QUANTUM4.pdf (1300 points)

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/QUANTUM5.pdf (1600+ points)

Re: Quantum from Dragon Magazine #111, 1986 by George MacDonald

Oh, as a bonus that magazine also had an original character for V&V RPG named Maxima, written by Jack Herman. Maxima was supposed to be an overpowered female character (fitting with the theme of that issue), so I used the generic conversion notes in V&V to Champions to write her character sheet. She IS aweful overpowered and not well balanced, but I was curious what she would look like in Champions:

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/MAXIMA.pdf

Yes, that a SPD of 13, CON 105, 54 point of resistant defense, 37 levels of Regeneration, etc. I just followed the OFFICIAL conversion rules for converting V&V to Champions printed back then. I did say she was not well balanced, but she's official.

Heh, stuff from back when Dragon was a cool magazine to pick up before it became the one trick poney. Kinda miss those days. Thanks for the PDF's.....have's some rep.

~Rex

Heh, I got that issue as well. Saved all the Super Hero ones, locked them up in the box of doom. Still though, that magazine was top notch back then. It's a shame we don't really have something like it now that's worth a hill of beans.

~Rex

Heh, I got that issue as well. Saved all the Super Hero ones, locked them up in the box of doom. Still though, that magazine was top notch back then. It's a shame we don't really have something like it now that's worth a hill of beans.

~Rex

I hear you, a few years ago I took a look at a Dragon magazine (or was it Dungeon?) it was like 12 pages and 11 of them were advertisments.

Yeah not just the advertisements, but all the One Game to Rule them All format as well. When it was "THE" gaming magazine, then it was cool. When it became the marketing tool for just the one game, then it was nap time. I think, all the different games I played from the time of "the day" forward to the ones I've settled on currently, were all due to the Multitudes of Games Dragon used to showcase way back then.

You would think there would be a market again for that kind of product, but Costs, Time, Print etc ......prohibitive.

~Rex

I'd buy a magazine for gaming. I still pick up more then a few different magazines of other types as well. I think my current magazine subscription is something like 15-20 different magazines. I know I'm not the only one nor is the magazine market dead, since you walk into any book store or news stand and those things are moving out the door left and right.

Dragon for example didn't start crapping out until it went "One Game to Rule them All!" format. It wasn't a gaming Magazine anymore it was a Dungeons and Dragons "familiga" magazine. When you go for a niche, of a niche market, you end up without a flow of product. That's something all the other Hobby magazines and such learned a LONG time ago.

Doesn't help that Gamers are cheap and that's even before the "It needs to be on PDF so I can steal it off a torent!" computer folks....

Either way, I'd be one of the first folks in line to snag a game magazine along the likes of what Dragon once was back in the day. Always made for a good mix on the table with the Popular Mechanics, Guns and Ammo, Soldier of Fortune, Easy Rider and Astronomy magazines.... :D

~Rex

Oh, as a bonus that magazine also had an original character for V&V RPG named Maxima, written by Jack Herman. Maxima was supposed to be an overpowered female character (fitting with the theme of that issue), so I used the generic conversion notes in V&V to Champions to write her character sheet. She IS aweful overpowered and not well balanced, but I was curious what she would look like in Champions:

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/MAXIMA.pdf

Yes, that a SPD of 13, CON 105, 54 point of resistant defense, 37 levels of Regeneration, etc. I just followed the OFFICIAL conversion rules for converting V&V to Champions printed back then. I did say she was not well balanced, but she's official.

I remember that character. I believe she had over 15,000 Hit Points, and her Strength was in triple digits. She was a genetically-engineered Amazon goddess who was sent from the future to prevent the apocalyptic event that all but destroyed the Earth.

I should have gone to GaryCon this year. Jack Herman was there, and I could have asked him--if I'd thought of it--if Maxima was generated using the random tables, or if he needed to pick and choose to get those results. Perhaps next year. :)

Well, I can only hope Maxima -- despite the "Swiss Cheese Memory" disad -- is a tiny bit more stable than Marvel Comics' Sentry! Demolition jobs on cosmic-level heroes who run amok can be very hard on the environment (I'm thinking continent level and upwards here).

Doesn't help that Gamers are cheap and that's even before the "It needs to be on PDF so I can steal it off a torent!" computer folks....

I wonder how marketable a print gaming magazine would be if the publisher makes the PDF of each issue available for free download, a few issues after publication? (Kinda like the concept of giving free samples to draw in new customers.) After all, it's not like they'd be selling the print version of issue #8 after issue #11 hits the stands. I'd think a one-issue delay would be too soon (many gamers would wait one month to get the free PDF), but a 2 or 3 issue delay might work. Just an idea.

Wow I remember that issue. Had over the top super women for all the different super hero games.

I still have that issue.

smilie-gross_291.gif

Oh really mature... You big boogie head

I still have it too. But it's the Dragon Magazine archive on cd rom they put out years ago.

Wish they would re-release that CD. Wouldn't mind having them all on PDF.

~Rex

Since they didn't have permission to reproduce some of the content in the first place, it's unlikely to ever be re-released.

The unauthorized reprinting of Knights of the Dinner Table led to the settlement that allowed Kenzer & Co. to use the 1e AD&D material to create Hackmaster.