Idea to art by Storn. Year 8

death tribble

Welcome to year 8.

The main rule this time is that the idea must be new and not posted by you (or anyone else) in 2009 and earlier. Ideas that first saw the light of day last year can be posted.

Having just done a best of the previous years in a vote thread, now is the time for new ideas.

Also even if the idea does not win, someone else may commission it as has happened before or Storn and I may decide to do another one from the thread which lead to Haven Walkur's Saggitarius and Bob Greenwade's Speedbump being done.

I will commission a new piece of art from Storn for probably end May and we have until then to come up with ideas for him to do. I have revised the rules from the past seven years. Some are the same but they are worth repeating.

First off people are allowed to contribute ideas BUT there is a snag.

As I am the one paying for it, I have to approve it. And Storn has to be willing to draw it. Part of the idea is to challenge the artist with something he hasn't done before or not done in a while.

So some ground restrictions and rules.

(1) The picture has to be for Champions. It is what I play and it is in this forum that the thread is posted.

(2) Non American and non British patriots are welcome. But note, the 2008 and 2010 winners were patriots (Africa and South America). So it will be harder to convince me of a patriot as I have a British Bulldog waiting to be done. I also have over 50 American patriotic or quasi patriotic heroes from pics or that Etherio put up previously. And try naming them. Sheesh !

If you have a good idea for a non-British or non-American patriot, please post the idea.

It has proven to be easier to get a non-US patriot done as this has a great deal of novelty value for not just Storn and I but everyone else as well.

(3) I am also allowing standard gun users again as they have not won at all. However Storn remains to be convinced.

(4) Beast motifs. Probably not. I had the Lioness pic done two years ago. And have an awful load of these already. There is a Tiger Man in the works as well.

(5) No Cheesecake. And anyone asking what this is risks a violent tribillating. I have more than one in the pipeline waiting completion. And other ideas pending. Therefore I will probably not be selecting one purely on cheesecake terms.

(6) No kid heroes/villains. I like the over 18 crowd and proper heroes such as Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman etc. Anyone even suggesting something akin to the Power R*****S will be summarily subject to a dousing with crude oil. And this year again we set you alight as well. And then dance around you invoking Mightybec.

(7) It must be something that I would want to use and something that would interest me. If not then no go ahead.

(8) Storn has certain restrictions of his own both because he will be putting the final product on his web site and has his own likes and dislikes. With this we will heed the former and indulge the latter. No Intellectual Property for example so no pics of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Captain America.

(9) Idea can be of an agent, a normal superhero/villain or a boss/mastermind.

The Mastermind Dr Dark was finished and posted recently and there is an Agent type awaiting finishing. There is also a Beautiful Female Martial Artist awaiting details so it may be worth steering clear of these. I will however be more receptive to an Agent idea as it can cover a wider field.

(10) If you want Superman, Batman or Green Lantern analogues there has to be some thing about them visually to make Storn and I want to portray it and pay for it. Remember if you don't post an idea, then it can't get done.

(11) Anyone who has had their idea done previously can apply again. There is no prejudice or bias either for or against you.

I'll post my own ideas as well plus ones from previous years that I am still willing to consider and may yet independently commission. So post your idea, if I like it then we'll proceed.

You may just have a name and we can bash ideas around about it until we get a full picture.

Of course if you don't like this approach you could always ask Storn yourself.

We have all through the months of April and May and maybe June to post and reject ideas.

But it may take longer. And usually does.

If you posted ideas in the Creat a Hero/Villain thread, try putting that in here as well.

Re: Idea to art by Storn. Year 8

Yay! I love these.

Ok let's see what ideas are floating about my head these days.

Hmmm, well my big ideas have been more along the powerset than the visuals:

Archive (or the Archivist) - Man bestowed with all the knowledge of the Library of Man in Babylon. He can access just about any knowledge he needs. He's a "Heroic Adventurer type," having learned the secrets of perfecting his physical form and he knows most fighting styles.

His costume is utilitarian, he carries lots of neat things, if not weapons, and he's rather buff. Perhaps a Doc Savage homage with a more modern feel, 6'4 and brawny with dark hair and a neatly trimmed beard.

Sanctuary - chosen as Earth's defender by aliens, she is a green lantern style energy projector but her powers are impacted by her own emotions as well as those around her. She's new to the game and her most prominent abilities are flight, and various force constructs to protect others. She sees herself as a support heroine, protecting civilians with castles made of courage :)

Blonde or Auburn hair, blue eyes, fit. Her costume is white...maybe. Ive only got the person in mind no costume. So probably not helpful.

Okay, a handful of my contributions to the Villain Theme Team thread:

Antibond (of The Chemists): A savant with an innate understanding of molecular orbitals and the mutant ability to exude certain chemical agents that weaken objects or structures (Drains against PD, ED, resistant defenses, BODY, STUN, etc.), though some of his chemical agents can actually cause the target's molecules (or Antibond's molecules, if he targets himself) to go completely out of phase with other molecules in the universe for a short period. I see Antibond in a lab coat that has not fared too well due to the occasional splash from his destabilizing chemicals, and some manner of holding the many glass vials for collecting unusual chemical agents he's exuded or encountered.

Southpaw (of The Real Americans): An old-style southern gentleman, Southpaw hasn't gotten over the fact that the South lost the US Civil War. He can control the left side of the brain, and thus the right side of other people (the challenge, I think, would be how to illustrate this in a character pic). I've always imagined him in a white suit with walking stick and neatly trimmed beard and mustache, looking a bit like a younger Colonel Sanders, but am not married to that look.

Blood Diamond (of Smash Ltd): A former South African miner who discovered a glowing red-streaked diamond that transformed him into a living crystalline form. In even the dimmest light, he can catch and redirect that light to dazzling effect. While he might wear some clothing, it should be minimal to allow him more surface area to better reflect ambient light.

Ratio (of the Numbers): a sliding-scale brick, he starts out practically invulnerable (but little stronger than normal). As he takes damage, he becomes less well-defended, but stronger. The effect reverses over time after he stops taking damage. He's a former back-room clerk at a large bank, certainly not very impressive looking. One of his more technically-minded teammates designed a "kinetic counter" of some sort so Ratio can gauge approximately how strong (or weak) and how little (or very) defended he is at any given moment. Whether this is a wrist-mounted device, or perhaps something else on his outfit (perhaps even his entire outfit) changes to reflect his strength/defense ratio, I leave up to Storn to decide and depict.

Casimir A tall, athletic (5'8"/135#) black woman, former FBI MCU agent and Champions team founder member. She is a zero-point energy manipulator whose powers manifest with an electrical blue-green glow. Her costume is a navy blue one-piece collared "spandex" jumpsuit (think a season 3 ST:TNG uniform for the general idea) with short sleeves which come half way down her upper arms. There is a wine-red inset across shoulders which dips down half way between her breasts but leaves the sides of her shoulders blue. There are wine red stripes down the outsides of the legs, giving it a US Marine dress look. On the centre of her chest there is a 6 inch tall electric-blue and green sans serif capital C. She wears 8 inch black SWAT boots, black fingerless and backless gloves which cover her wrists and a black police-style belt which holds numerous pouches.

Strength The concept here is the world's most powerful brick. She is very tall (6'4") and athletically muscular, with a female body-builder's physique. She has a healthy bust-line, too. She looks somewhat like Gabby Reese, if Gabby was Irish, weighed eighty kilos (176 lbs) and was fair skinned with red hair and grey-blue eyes. She usually wears her hair down around her shoulders. Her prime character traits are courage, magnanimity and persistance. Her costume consists of urban digital camo trousers, black 6 inch Doc Martens-style boots and a red teeshirt.

Friday. This one needs a touch of background: A long lost exploratory space craft crash landed. To combat loneliness, It's lone survivor took non-essential equipment and cobbled together a robot companion and dubbed it "Friday" after the companion of the marooned literary character Robinson Crusoe. Long after the pilot's demise, the craft is found and the robot brought back to Earth. The figure would be vaguely humanoid, though definitely not symmetrical, and put together with pieces of excess equipment (Like hoses and other pieces of a vacuum, housing from faulty appliances, etc.). I imagine that while he/she has had offers to transplant it's A.I. to a more useful body it declines on grounds of valuing its uniqueness, as taught it by its creator. (Physical description left purposefly vague to allow for maximum creativity.) It is probably employed either as a (skilled) personal butler to a hero, much like Alfred to Bruce Wayne, or possibly a base custodian, not unlike Jarvis to the Avengers.

I haven’t read any of the previous years or quite know what’s going on but here’s my attempt.

A bit of a complicated one for one picture:

Melinda: Dragon lady multiform heroine, tall, strong, long flowing hair, blown in the wind on top of a high building (British land marks in the background :)), mostly green suit but with mask that reveals reptilian eyes and slightly enlarged fangs. With either a conceptual picture of one or both of her other forms of a small impish dragon (with mind powers) in the fore ground looking her in the eyes. And / or a large fire breathing dragon passing over a full moon in the background. A sort of if one sort of dragon can’t get the job done one of the others can sort it out sort of picture.

Well the small dragon Tetsuya is very small (large domestic cat ~5kg) and also has chameleon powers so you could just have its head and some of its neck and the rest would be an out of phase shape of the back ground or part of Melinda. So about a 10th of a character? And Longwei the large dragon would be just be a shape on a full moon (possibly breathing fire) so really not a lot of extra figures. :).

Or you could go the whole hog of all three of them close up with Tetsuya with the chameleon shape effect in the front with Melinda crouching behind in sexy / heroic pose and then the large form of a dragon in the background with the head just over Melinda’s shoulder looking menacing (lick of flame or smoke of just about to get burnt to a crisp sort of moment). All totally different, apart for a dragon theme going through it and the eyes will all be the same.

How is that for a couple of ideas for a picture?

;)

I'll give it a go, though I have to say some of my creations are a bit silly. They belong to a hero group which is composed of heroes mostly below the players power levels who no one really respects. The heroes haven't really met them, and probably won't.

Tribbles: Has the strange power of producing tribbles, en mass. The tribbles only last a few minutes and dissolve into ether but they do have mass and can produce strange effects. Tribbles dresses in futuristic attire but uses modern fashion items (i.e.: She doesn't dress in glittery silver jumpsuits, but will dress in cotton jumpsuits with say a jacket and belt).

Screamqueen: Has powers similar to Black Canary, but the scarier the villain the louder she gets (no range EB Cone, triggered to being presence attacked). She dresses in a functional superhero outfit which is not as flashy as Black Canary's.

Monkey: Kung Fu martial artist practicing what else, Monkey Style Kung Fu. Has the unique ability to use his feet as if it were hands and is very quick and agile. Dresses in a formal kung fu top, red sash, and black kung fu pants. He monkies around a lot.

Robohero: a powerful android built by Microsoft, it is much like Amazo from Justice League with the unfortunate habit of blue screen of deathing in combat (Ran Windows 95). Recently bought by a geek at a yard sale and restored though operational restrictions have prevented the geek from upgrading Robohero beyond Windows 98.

Gladius: An actual hero with skills in pankration and wielding a wickedly magical gladius, he has gotten stuck with a bad nickname which the press has dubbed him. He looks like a roman warrior wearing a black full face mask but stands just 4'10" so the papers have been calling him Marvin the Martian.

My main Champions Online hero is Red Streak, a fast-runner who, instead of fighting crime with fists like most speedsters, does it with a small arsenal of guns. (She's my second character there; I haven't been playing much of the first.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38348[/ATTACH]

Just today I created her first Nemesis, Master Disaster. He's a brilliant inventor, and a lunatic who likes to cause calamities of all sorts -- earthquakes, fires, nuclear power plant meltdowns, and what have you. (I couldn't make the costume quite as over-the-top as I'd hoped, but you get the general idea.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38347[/ATTACH]pencil.png

Silhouette – An aikido using martial artist with high-level t-port ability, and misc. other offensive and defensive powers. All her powers are based on shadows. She can stealthily move in the shadows. She ‘ports by traveling into one shadow, through an unidentified “shadow” dimension, and out another shadow. She can create her own shadows for ‘porting.

She is 18 years old. She is petite, standing 5’1½” tall, and weighs 98 lbs. She is in top athletic shape, and built like a gymnast or dancer. In costume her hair is dyed a darker brown with reddish highlights. She has large, almond-shaped eyes that are extremely exotic looking. They are colored a milky gray and have no pupils. They look as if they are filled with fog.

Her costume consists of a black and charcoal gray, long-sleeved leotard with black leggings; accented by a gold and silver-colored belt. She wears a charcoal gray, waist-length cloak that is attached at the wrists. She has light gray gloves and boots. Completing her costume is a black half-mask that is cut to show the lower half of her face, and to allow her long, dark brown tresses to flow freely down her back.

Ardal Teg: Former member of the FAI Ardal unwittingly became the bearer of the storm talisman. A necklace that imbues the wearer with the powers of the tempest. Since first realizing his new found abilities, in the middle of a game of footies he has wandered the globe looking for answers for the talisman and why he was chosen. Teg has found himself teamed with other heroes but rarely does this last. An abrasive personality and generally humanist views have set him at odds with those who take their powers for granted and see it as their right to see justice however they deem fit. Ardal is tall an thin, often with a leather jacket and jeans, his hear is short, generally and often accompanied with several days of stubble. Also a heavy smoker, although his ciggy's tend to get soaked when using his powers.

- - -

Ardal when the Storm Talisman is active is incredibly fast able to fly and create storms along with lightning. Generally though he'll give foes every chance to surrender buffeting them with powerful winds holding them in place. rarely does he use his lighting strikes.

At the moment Master Disaster is not in the running as the costume is all over the place.
Aw' date=' bummer.
However don't you have a female quasi martial artist you are going to post here as an idea ?
What, the four-armed lady? She's not really a Champions character. But I can post her description here anyway if you'd like.

All righty, then. This character will be introduced in Realm Hunter: Pursuit of the Elder Gods, which I'm currently expecting to be available by Memorial Day.

Agent Wu Mei-Zhen of the Science Authority comes from a world where highly advanced technology and highly advanced magic exist side by side. Like most people in her society, her ancestry is predominantly Chinese with a smattering of other races.

She has had three surgeries that markedly alter her appearance. First, she had her eyes redone so they look like a cat's (just the irises). Second, she had an ampulla of Lorenzini (an electrosense organ) implanted in her forehead, giving a chevron-shaped ridge there. Third, she had an extra pair of arms vat-grown and attached, with a special molding of the required shoulder structure.

On the job, she dresses in a simple black pantsuit with a white shirt and simple tie. (Think of Agent L from Men in Black.) While her personal weapon of choice is a pistol-like sonic weapon, her more iconic weapon more closely resembles a lightsaber. (If you've ever seen Michio Kaku's Sci-Fi Science, the basic design should be like the one he worked out on that show -- the significant part being that the "business end" tapers to a near-point.)

EDIT: Whichever weapon type she uses, she has one in each of her four hands. For the illo I think it would be cooler to give her four lightsabers.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, A friend directed me to this thread, suggesting I post my latest character concept.

Conjoined Crusader

Tom and Jon Pendergast are a pair of 27 year-old conjoined twins. They are joined along the spine, facing away from each other. They each have their own independent mind, but due to the shared spinal cord, only one can fully control their body at a time. Tom is a martial artist and so much of his time in control is spent working out and practicing different forms of martial arts. When out as the Conjoined Crusader, Tom wears a red Gi emblazoned with a pair of dragons connected at the tail. His other half (better half Jon would say) is completely different from Tom. Jon is a scholar and inventor. While Tom is working his muscles, Jon spends his time learning languages from his iPod or listening to audiobooks. Because he doesn't have the strength of his brother and is smart enough to recognize the pain from getting hit as bad, he wears a suit of blue and white, medium-weight body armor to protect his half of the body while out as the Conjoined Crusader. Jon carries a gadget pool in a large belt that works through the combining of multiple components that fuse together through a nanotech he developed (think ultra high-tech Legos).

About time I started adding new ideas of my own.

First off in the beast theme. A man sized Rooster with razor sharp claws and a wicked beak. No arms. Has wings instead. Overall black in colour for the feathers, with red for the wattling.

Then there is Iron Medusa. Going back partially to my first ever commission. Basically a Medusa had her snakes forcibly sheered from her head and then a la Dr Doom had a mask put on her face to stop the petrifying glare. The Mask is of a beautiful complexion and is flawless.

But now when she opens the eyes deadly energy pours ouit to kill. And through the top of the head holes have appeared though which ghost snakes appear. She now wears iron gauntlets over her arms, modern in style which she uses as brute strength. Her appearance is between the stylish with silk like fabic covering her body and the brutal functional, the gauntlets and armour protecting kneecaps and hamstrings.

Just today I created her first Nemesis' date=' Master Disaster. He's a brilliant inventor, and a lunatic who likes to cause calamities of all sorts -- earthquakes, fires, nuclear power plant meltdowns, and what have you. (I couldn't make the costume [i']quite[/i] as over-the-top as I'd hoped, but you get the general idea.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38347[/ATTACH]pencil.png

I bet she calls him Major FASHION Disaster :)

I bet she calls him Major FASHION Disaster :)
That's kind of the idea. He was just a regular civilian caught up in the Battle of Detroit, and lost his left leg, left arm, left eye, and parts of his frontal lobe, most notably those controlling compassion, sleep, and fashion sense.

However, when dealing with him it's important to remember to first avert the volcano in downtown Millennium City, then make fun of his outfit.

The Inside-Out man. His flesh having been removed to prevent spread of a virulent disease, he was sealed in a clear suit of armor.

Why clear? Because it looks cool. Okay, there's probably a better reason. I just had the image in my head.