Multiverse

Cassandra

Re: Multiverse

Just an idea but I always toyed with the idea that the reason for the costume was to make the hero a symbol. For example Basically the average joe on the street sees a guy in a black cowled outfit on the streets of gothem city its assumed its bat man unless he says he is some one else. (if the lord of crime asked jimmy 4 fingers who took down his drug operation “I don't know” isn't a good response but 'it was that batman guy boss he came at me like a devil to claim my soul so I ran” might be) in this way I can just say gothem has had a batman since the 30s no one knows who he is some even make claims he might be a she.

But then I like a darker more underground world were the public is mostly unaware of heroes more like urban legends cus well there doing there job

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an idea.

In 1938 Superman appears in Metropolis. His appearance begins the Golden Age of Superheroes as others become active. He falls in love with Lois Lane, who after five years marries her. In 1944 Connor Kent is born. Due to his kryptonian physiology he grows rapidily, and is sent to Smallville during his training years. He is raised by his grandparents Jonathan and Martha Kent, and meets and falls in love with Lana Lang. Superman's powers expand and he explores the Kryptonian systems, and discovers a survivor in suspended animation on the nearby planet Argo. Her name is Kara In-ze, and is sent to live with her cousin Connor in Smallville as Kara Kent. She laters becomes Power Girl, and changes her name to Karen Starr. A few years later Kara Zor-El arrives and is raised by Fred and Edna Danvers as their adopted daughter Linda. The Crisis caused the group along with the rest of the Multiuniverse to be catipulted into the future, and only the heroes and a few of their associates are aware of what has happened.

Super girl and super boy could just be descendents who have kids of their own.

Supergirl is Power Girl's mother. They are both Superboy's cousins.

CES

Super girl and super boy could just be descendents who have kids of their own.

Supergirl is Power Girl's mother. They are both Superboy's cousins.

CES

Power Girl as the daughter of Supergirl is a neat idea. And there is a very obvious candidate for the father of Karen Starr: Supergirl's occasional boyfriend "Bronco" Bill Starr :eg:

I always thought that the Huntress should have been retcon as Bruce Wayne's cousin' date=' the daughter of his uncle Philip.[/quote']

It's up to you since you are making the timeline, but Wendy was batman's cousin before Marvin got ate by Wonder Dog. I think she works for Oracle now.

CES

There have been plenty of "supersons" type stories. Most were "imaginary"' date=' but a few were notionally canonical.

So Bruce Wayne was succeeded by Dick Grayson, who was succeeded by Bruce Wayne Jnr, who was the father of the Huntress, who often worked with Dick Grayson Jnr. (Who became Nightwing?)

Though I tend to grit my teeth at the mention of Batman, I've read and considered it valid that Bruce would name his son after his father and not himself. (not at all arguing but I wanted to contribute some. :))

It's up to you since you are making the timeline, but Wendy was batman's cousin before Marvin got ate by Wonder Dog. I think she works for Oracle now.

CES

They were the twins of the Calculator now, IIRC, and she goes by the name Proxy. Which is...really really lame in my opinion. But I really don't know enough.

you could easily have the Scarlet Spider be Pete's son Ben Parker, with May being Spider Girl...but that might be a tad overkillish.

The main (IMO) problem with these is that Marvel by and large ignores legacy heroes where DC embraces them (without relinquishing the originals) so it's easier (and less confusing) to spread the DC heroes out over time but Marvel...you kind of have to be creative.

There have been 8 (perhaps 9) Captain Americas and it would be easy to put Steve "On Ice" longer and Longer to have him come back. But American Dream is a great legacy.

Thor's been a daddy in the MU a few times, Woden, Magni Bravado...is Thor Girl his daughter? But he's immortal for the Timeline purposes. Ditto Herc, but it woiuld be nice to have a greater Asgardiand and Olympian footprint in the Multiverse. I liked some of the Gods introduced in the latest Thor series well ok, the Goddess or rain and cold who fell for Ted. (was the guy's name Ted?) and when you join the two comic universes suddenly the Olympians have a huge footprint with the Marvel and Wonder families.

I'm rambling

Fun stuff though

If Peter's career started in 1959' date=' May might well be his granddaughter. (Daughter of Ben, presumably.) Now that's a legacy. I wonder if she has any cousins?[/quote']

Amazing Fantasy 15 appeared in 1962. That was 59 years ago and the character was something like 16. A 75 year old man could easily have a grand-child.

Amazing Fantasy 15 appeared in 1962. That was 59 years ago and the character was something like 16. A 75 year old man could easily have a grand-child.

I'm assuming that it took a couple years from Spider-Man's first appearance to the comic to hit the shelves.

Here's my reasoning. Amazing #15 had an August cover date, meaning that it probably shipped in May/June. Writing and art might gestated in late 1961, and of course the creative team had to have heard of Spider-Man by that time. There's the small problem that he made his debute on a novelty television station, but this would have been so early in the TV era that it is unlikely that there was any tape, and certainly no network pickup. He faded from sight in the next few months as he fought minor-league villains. With the Fantastic Four flying high over the New York skyline, he was an obscure figure; precisely why the Daily Bugle picked him out as the archetype of the new "masked menace." That J. Jonah Jameson's tolerated being portrayed as "Peter's"* employer in the comic is just more evidence that there really is a big heart hidden under all that gruff. I suspect that Jameson learned Spider-Man's secret identity through private sources at an early date. The split between his public campaign against "the menace" and gestures of private support of this kind reflects the fact that Jameson genuinely believes that masked vigilantes are a social problem; and probably that he is worried about Spider-Man's personal safety. This suggests to me that Peter is a member of the "Bugle family," although almost certain not an employee.

Now, Peter enrolls at ESU (a cover for NYU at this point) in the December 1965 cover date issue. Announcing Peter's freshman class, the very year he enrolled would be the height of irresponsibility. So I'm assuming that the comic used a few years of backlogged high school stories. How many is uncertain, but my thinking is that two years of relative obscurity before Spider-Man hit the big leagues is about right. This puts the beginning of Peter's career back to 1959/60, and his age 14, rather than 16, for which, I believe, there is some canonical support.

So, Spider-Man was 14 in 1959, born in 1945, almost the beginning of the Baby Boom. He matriculated at ESU in September of 1963, but seems to have had some financial and personal difficulties finishing on time. It's been deduced that he graduated in 1968 and went right into graduate school. As a brilliant student, it is suspected that he stepped up to Columbia, a partial explanation for why the fictional ESU sometimes seems so Columbia-like. Given his talents, and the academic looseness of the era, it is not surprising that Peter was able to get through his PhD in spite of the huge personal and financial demands on him, not least from a 1970 marriage to "Mary Jane Watson" and the 1971 birth of his oldest child, "Ben."

Completing his degree in 1979, Spider-Man's long travails finally paid off. Not foolish enough to reveal the whole of his research to the world, Spider-Man now patented something. If the comics are accurate, it might have been anything from improvements to 3M's "Superglue" brand to stealth materials. But, of course, the world knows virtually nothing about how Spider-Man's "webbing" effect is achieved. What is clear is that Spider-Man lived a comfortable life while holding postdoctoral fellowships, feeling no pressure to take a tenure-track teaching position until he lost his leg in a climactic battle with the Green Goblin in 1987.

Some have speculated that his apparent retirement of several years during which there were no Spider-Man sightings were some kind of ruse. Others take seriously the comics revelation that he took up a tenure track position at an Oregon school. Certainly there have been some very occasional "Spider-Man" sightings in that state during various subsequent super-crises. As for the new Spider-Man who appeared in 1988, it might have been his son, now enrolled in a New York-area school. Or there might be some other explanation, including that he is not "new" at all.

Whatever might be the case, an inadvertent comment by the Avenger, Hercules, (a great deal of alcohol was involved) suggests that there were family issues involved, and that his old graduate supervisor, "Miles Warren," pressed him to retire, and also assisted a son, "Ben," in taking over the role. "Warren" was reportedly vastly amused by the revival of his character as a villain, and disappointed by the way that the "Clone Saga" developed. Not only was it a bad story, but the anecdote related by Hercules suggests that "Ben's" daughter was born in 1996, that her name really is "May," and that it really is a "Parker" family name. Thus the rapid retcon of the details of the Clone Saga which are intended to distract amateur sleuths.

In more recent years, a dirty tricks campaign by pro-Registration forces during the recent so-called "civil war" has been given continuing credence by National Enquirer. The tabloid has publicised the claims of a shady figure calling himself "Peter O'Hara." According to "Peter," he is the second Spider-Man. The "real" original Spider-Man was Professor Michael O'Hara of Oregon State (Corvallis), who fits the proposed career above exactly, except in being a physicist rather than a biochemist. Researchers have found that the actual Michael and Peter were, indeed, raised in Brooklyn int he late 1950s and early 1960s by a May O'Hara, although she seems to have been their older sister rather than their aunt. Little more than this can be substantiated, and Tony Stark has repeatedly stated that it was all just a disinformation campaign aimed at discrediting the anti-registration movement. Professor O'Hara has (of course) declined comment, and journalists have been unable to track down his brother, Peter, while Professor O'Hara's son, Gabe, after a brilliant academic and postgraduate career, left New York in 2009 for a career in private industry with a major Indian international based in Mumbai. It has been rather irresponsibly suggested that the "Spider-Girl" who has been active in New York since 2009 might be his daughter, perhaps living with her mother. (Although Gabriel O'Hara is not divorced.) Or she might have some relationship with the mysterious first May O'Hara.

I'm assuming that it took a couple years from Spider-Man's first appearance to the comic to hit the shelves.

Here's my reasoning. Amazing #15 had an August cover date, meaning that it probably shipped in May/June. Writing and art might gestated in late 1961, and of course the creative team had to have heard of Spider-Man by that time. There's the small problem that he made his debute on a novelty television station, but this would have been so early in the TV era that it is unlikely that there was any tape, and certainly no network pickup. He faded from sight in the next few months as he fought minor-league villains. With the Fantastic Four flying high over the New York skyline, he was an obscure figure; precisely why the Daily Bugle picked him out as the archetype of the new "masked menace." That J. Jonah Jameson's tolerated being portrayed as "Peter's"* employer in the comic is just more evidence that there really is a big heart hidden under all that gruff. I suspect that Jameson learned Spider-Man's secret identity through private sources at an early date. The split between his public campaign against "the menace" and gestures of private support of this kind reflects the fact that Jameson genuinely believes that masked vigilantes are a social problem; and probably that he is worried about Spider-Man's personal safety. This suggests to me that Peter is a member of the "Bugle family," although almost certain not an employee.

Now, Peter enrolls at ESU (a cover for NYU at this point) in the December 1965 cover date issue. Announcing Peter's freshman class, the very year he enrolled would be the height of irresponsibility. So I'm assuming that the comic used a few years of backlogged high school stories. How many is uncertain, but my thinking is that two years of relative obscurity before Spider-Man hit the big leagues is about right. This puts the beginning of Peter's career back to 1959/60, and his age 14, rather than 16, for which, I believe, there is some canonical support.

So, Spider-Man was 14 in 1959, born in 1945, almost the beginning of the Baby Boom. He matriculated at ESU in September of 1963, but seems to have had some financial and personal difficulties finishing on time. It's been deduced that he graduated in 1968 and went right into graduate school. As a brilliant student, it is suspected that he stepped up to Columbia, a partial explanation for why the fictional ESU sometimes seems so Columbia-like. Given his talents, and the academic looseness of the era, it is not surprising that Peter was able to get through his PhD in spite of the huge personal and financial demands on him, not least from a 1970 marriage to "Mary Jane Watson" and the 1971 birth of his oldest child, "Ben."

Completing his degree in 1979, Spider-Man's long travails finally paid off. Not foolish enough to reveal the whole of his research to the world, Spider-Man now patented something. If the comics are accurate, it might have been anything from improvements to 3M's "Superglue" brand to stealth materials. But, of course, the world knows virtually nothing about how Spider-Man's "webbing" effect is achieved. What is clear is that Spider-Man lived a comfortable life while holding postdoctoral fellowships, feeling no pressure to take a tenure-track teaching position until he lost his leg in a climactic battle with the Green Goblin in 1987.

Some have speculated that his apparent retirement of several years during which there were no Spider-Man sightings were some kind of ruse. Others take seriously the comics revelation that he took up a tenure track position at an Oregon school. Certainly there have been some very occasional "Spider-Man" sightings in that state during various subsequent super-crises. As for the new Spider-Man who appeared in 1988, it might have been his son, now enrolled in a New York-area school. Or there might be some other explanation, including that he is not "new" at all.

Whatever might be the case, an inadvertent comment by the Avenger, Hercules, (a great deal of alcohol was involved) suggests that there were family issues involved, and that his old graduate supervisor, "Miles Warren," pressed him to retire, and also assisted a son, "Ben," in taking over the role. "Warren" was reportedly vastly amused by the revival of his character as a villain, and disappointed by the way that the "Clone Saga" developed. Not only was it a bad story, but the anecdote related by Hercules suggests that "Ben's" daughter was born in 1996, that her name really is "May," and that it really is a "Parker" family name. Thus the rapid retcon of the details of the Clone Saga which are intended to distract amateur sleuths.

In more recent years, a dirty tricks campaign by pro-Registration forces during the recent so-called "civil war" has been given continuing credence by National Enquirer. The tabloid has publicised the claims of a shady figure calling himself "Peter O'Hara." According to "Peter," he is the second Spider-Man. The "real" original Spider-Man was Professor Michael O'Hara of Oregon State (Corvallis), who fits the proposed career above exactly, except in being a physicist rather than a biochemist. Researchers have found that the actual Michael and Peter were, indeed, raised in Brooklyn int he late 1950s and early 1960s by a May O'Hara, although she seems to have been their older sister rather than their aunt. Little more than this can be substantiated, and Tony Stark has repeatedly stated that it was all just a disinformation campaign aimed at discrediting the anti-registration movement. Professor O'Hara has (of course) declined comment, and journalists have been unable to track down his brother, Peter, while Professor O'Hara's son, Gabe, after a brilliant academic and postgraduate career, left New York in 2009 for a career in private industry with a major Indian international based in Mumbai. It has been rather irresponsibly suggested that the "Spider-Girl" who has been active in New York since 2009 might be his daughter, perhaps living with her mother. (Although Gabriel O'Hara is not divorced.) Or she might have some relationship with the mysterious first May O'Hara.

I like how you got my hometown into the story. Go Beavs!

Also Ben Reilly and I were born the same year :D

Here are a few thoughts on the Multiverse.

Superman would have a friendly rivalry with Captain Marvel and Thor, but be wary of the Hulk because he's recklace, unstable, and kryptonite green.

The Joker's real name would be Edward Morgan Blake.

Supergirl (Linda Danvers) would become Superwoman when Kara Kent arrives. Her adopted mother Edna would have a nice named Carol who would become Ms. Marvel.

Wonder Woman's enemy Circe would join The Avengers just to annoy her.

The question of how the teams would shake out is an interesting one.

The Justice Society forms first and probably constitute the home team, while the Invaders are the team that takes to foreign battlefields. The Liberty Legion might form as the west coast low rent counterpart to the Justice Society. Oddly, I tend to see Wonder Woman as part of the Invaders. Romantically involved with Steve Rogers, donchaknow. The Society still disbands in the 50s, while the Invaders break up at the end of the war (since after all half of their membership are MIA by then.). The Justice League, though, would appear to preclude the appearance of the Avengers as we know them. The Justice League starts in 1960. The Avengers come along 3 years later, but by definition there can only be one premiere superteam in a given universe. The JLA are tougher and came first making the Avengers at most wanna-bes for top dog status if that. It's unlikely that the Justice League would fail to respond a call for help with the Hulk, so they might just end up with a bigger Justice League including the Avenger's membership.

Then again, the Avengers were a fractious bunch who might break off from the JLA and start their own team that way. Or their genesis could be rewritten to so that the American government actually puts the team together because they are grumpy about the JLA being independant agents. During the Cold War, the Avengers were a much more topical team and so they did way more fighting of communists than the JLA did, the JLA being more interested in fighting alien menaces...which would tend to give them frequent team-ups with the Fantastic Four.

Superman Family in the Multiverse

Kal-El was rocketed to Earth from the doomed world Krypton as a baby, and was raised by Jonathan and Martha Kent as their son Clark Kent in Smallville, Kansas. He began a short career as Superboy during his high school and college years, becoming something of a legend. After moving to Metropolis he ultimately received national attention as Superman due to the news reports of Lois Lane.

A few years later a space capsule landed near Midvale, Illinois. Superman investigated and discovered Kara Zor-El, his consin and only survivor of Argo City. She was placed in an orphanage and was adopted by Fred and Edna Danvers, as their daughter Linda Lee Danvers. During this time she was being trained to use her powers as Supergirl. She had another cousin through her adopted mother, a young woman named Carol who joined the Air Force.

Several years later another Kryptonian survivor, this a version of Kara from an alternate reality arrived. She took the name Power Girl, and lived under the name Karen Starr.

Clark Kent and Lois Lane married, and had twins, Connor and Kara Kent. They grew up rapidly due to their half kryptonian physiology and were sent to live in Smallville. They became the new Superboy and Supergirl. Linda Danvers, now older, took the name Superwoman.

Linda Danvers knew for some time that her cousin, Carol Susan Jane Danvers, was Ms. Marvel. They worked on a case together and discovered that the Kree were an offshoot of the Kryptonians. The Kree had left Krypton thousands of years ago, and were unaware of their true origins.

Captain Mar-Vell, who was responsible for Carol Danvers receiving her powers, was ordered by the Kree to observe the Kryptonians for reasons unknown.

Game Notes: Superman, and Supergirl would be built on 350 Points. Superboy, Supergirl, Power Girl, Captain Mar-Vell, and Ms. Marvel would be built on 250 Points.

Of course when merging universes mutants are a big issue. The Doom Patrol, and X-Men both featured wheel-chair bound patrons of misfit teams. The Doom Patrol had more interesting heroes in the silver age, while the X-Men had better villains. But does the attitude of the public at large go with 1 or 616.

In the Multiverse, Lex Luthor is Dr. Charles Xavier. He adopted the false identity to recruit new minions in order to replace Superman as the main hero in the universe. The wheelchair is actually a device that gives him mental powers.

They worked on a case together and discovered that the Kree were an offshoot of the Kryptonians. The Kree had left Krypton thousands of years ago, and were unaware of their true origins.

You might want to make that the other way around. The silver/bronze age Kryptonians are suppossed to be descended from a pair of space explorers who crash landed on the planet. One of them could be Kree...

In the Multiverse' date=' Lex Luthor is Dr. Charles Xavier. He adopted the false identity to recruit new minions in order to replace Superman as the main hero in the universe. The wheelchair is actually a device that gives him mental powers.[/quote']

I like this idea a lot. Mostly because I was never much of an X-Fan.