nobody mentioned this, but....

grymlocke

Try this for a campaign....

place: europe, WWII, somewhere in france...

a PC's discovers (rumor from prisoner at least..) that there is a cache of nazi gold hidden in a small small village deep behind enemy lines...

the PC wants the gold...but it has to remain a secret....

he recruits a few 'other' pc's for a share....a supply sergeant, a tank commander, etc....

if all this sounds familiar, it should.....

its a movie that starred clint eastwood....

KELLY'S HEROES !!!!

put a group of pc's inplace of the main characters and let the fun begin.... :D

This opens up a question of should DOJ do a WWII sourcebook.

I kinda wish they would, because I am lazy and dont wanna do all the work of converting and making up the character templates and vechiles.

But with SJG WWII series of books and given that GURPS is "fairly " easy to convert. I am betting Steve is saying no.

Just a comment.

Moving on,

NOt only Kellys Hero's Hero, but

Guns of Navrone Hero

Force Hero from Navrone

Battle of the Hero Bulge (bot I think a lot of us are fighting that one)

Dirty Dozen Hero

the list goes on but I won't

Originally posted by Thag13

This opens up a question of should DOJ do a WWII sourcebook.

No, it doesn't. Folks around here have already been trying to talk Steve into scheduling one for quite some time, even without this thread.

Personally, I think there should be two such sourcebooks -- one for Champions (a new Golden Age Champions) and one for Dark Champions (a standard, "realistic" WWII sourcebook). Hopefully at least one of those two will get on the 2005 schedule.

Originally posted by Thag13

But with SJG WWII series of books and given that GURPS is "fairly " easy to convert. I am betting Steve is saying no.

Just a comment.

Moving on,

NOt only Kellys Hero's Hero, but

Another one that lends it self well to games is Where Eagles Dare

I used variations in Champions (Golden Age), Danger International, and Paranoia

I just picked up the GURPS: Wierd War II. It's chock full of cool ideas.

Dang it, I ment to put in Where Eagles Dare...

BTW Both Navarone and Eagles have been released on DVD with much Grande extras and I recommend both.

There is also the d20 Weird War 2 books out by the same guys that do DeadLands. I have the main rule book and the background is very playable. Would take some work to convert it to Hero, but I think would be worth the time

The reason I was asking if Steve Wanted to do a WWII book was the fact that there are so many already on the shevles. As much as I think WWII Hero would be great, I am not sure it could make a dent sales wise.

A superHero WWII background might go well, however.

I would like to say I would buy it, but I am having trouble keeping up as it is....I dont even have Fantasy Hero yet.

boegy rules

I recently saw a really great film with Humphry Bogart where he and about five other european soldiers are defending the last water source in the desert against about five hundred thirsty nazis. Cool movie, the well goes dry, but they still have to convince the Germans who they're trying to get to hand over "guns for water" that they still have plenty of it. Could be a good nights game...they have one tank and two machine guns, if I remeber correctly. They've dug in trenches around the well. They have an italian and nazi prisoner who know the truth. The nazi kills the italian who doens't want to fight anymore and tries to escape. Oh yeah and they have sent one of their guys to go find help, just before the Nazi hoard arrives, he collapses somewhere in the desert...

Great action movie with a lot of grit.

Re: nobody mentioned this, but....

Originally posted by grymlocke

Try this for a campaign....

place: europe, WWII, somewhere in france...

a PC's discovers (rumor from prisoner at least..) that there is a cache of nazi gold hidden in a small small village deep behind enemy lines...

the PC wants the gold...but it has to remain a secret....

he recruits a few 'other' pc's for a share....a supply sergeant, a tank commander, etc....

if all this sounds familiar, it should.....

its a movie that starred clint eastwood....

KELLY'S HEROES !!!!

put a group of pc's inplace of the main characters and let the fun begin.... :D

Change Germany to Iraq. Make the Nazis the 'Republican Guard' and presto.....

"Three Kings" with Clooney, Whalburg, and Cube

• 3 weeks later...

I am working on an online one which hopefully I'll have ready to put online next spring (I'm hoping to run a game around a recon team D-Day to St.Lo at Dundracon next year). I did one a few years ago for Twilight 2000 so I have a large library on the subject. I've got a lot of the infantry weapons done already and a few tanks started but I've been fooling around with ideas to make tank combat more "realistic" (tanks are too close together in power level), I think I've got an idea that is going to work by making all "real weapons" do a majority of their damage SE and expanding the tables from TUV.

As far as HERO doing one I think a Military HERO book would be better with bits from various periods and additional sourcebooks as sales dictate.

I have all the GURPS WW2 books (except for Wierdwar) and all of Pinnacles Weird War books. All are great, even if you are not into the supernatural aspect of Weirdwar these books include so much real world info that they are worth getting plus they already have Russian Front, Pacific and North Africa books which Gurps doesn't. If you are interested in supernatural stuff in a WW2 game then I highly suggest Weird War 2, they are very well done, I'd even consider playing them in D20 if it came down to that, but I'd prefer to play them with HERO.

Originally posted by lemming

I've got the GURPS Weird War. It's very well done.

I'm sure it is, and I'll be getting it eventually but FH and the grimoire have turned my gaming budget back to fantasy. I just picked up GURPS Low Tech and Middle ages 1, and Warhammer's Stone and steel (the dwarf book).

BTW anybody looking for mini's for a WW2 game I've found Battlefront to be very good and reasonably priced. They are 15mm so should be played with 1/2" hexes instead of 1".

http://www.battlefront.co.nz/

Personally, I'd try and get any 5th Edn. Hero stuff.

I have fond memories of a British comic strip called "Rat Pack" (no relation to Frank, Sammy, Dean and the others). They were a bit of a rip off off "The Dirty Dozen", but there were only five.

Major Taggart was in charge of them. He was an extremely competent soldier and was shown to be able to handle any of the others.

"Weasel" was a burglar/safe-cracker/thief. He was small and cowardly. He had been court-martialled for trying to steal an army payroll.

Dancer was caught looting bodies. He was an expert sniper and good with a knife (thrown or hand-to-hand).

"Scarface" Rogan was a fantastic athlete. Cross-country runner, mountain climber, that sort of thing. He was supposed to be a deserter, but was actually trying to catch a German officer (think he was SS and had murdered Rogan's comrades affter they surrendered - something like that).

Last and very definitely not least was "Turk", a huge, you guessed it, Turkish man, of phenomenal size and strength. If I recall correctly, he was arrested for brawling in an officers' mess.

They had a lot of adventures, in a vaguely pulp style (super weapons, destroying submarine pens, that sort of thing).

Anyway, I think they'd be great as a team of PCs in a WWII Hero campaign with a not entirely realistic tone.

How about a Hero game based on the old DC comic The Haunted Tank? About a tank crew driving around in this old, beat-up tank. The commander is a Lt. Stewart, who is advised by the ghost of his ancestor General Jeb Stewart. His crew thinks he's a loon, but he makes all the right moves and keeps them alive, so they put up with him. It was pretty cool.

Originally posted by Kestrel

How about a Hero game based on the old DC comic The Haunted Tank? About a tank crew driving around in this old, beat-up tank. The commander is a Lt. Stewart, who is advised by the ghost of his ancestor General Jeb Stewart. His crew thinks he's a loon, but he makes all the right moves and keeps them alive, so they put up with him. It was pretty cool.

Pinnacle actually mentions this in their Wierd war books and includes rules for haunted vehicles. The authors of the books quite obviously were fans of the Weird war comics as well as others like Sgt. Rock, Haunted tank etc. I was sceptical when I first heard about them but I've been looking forward to playing a game at some point, they obviously had fun and did their homework.

Originally posted by Kestrel

This was a pretty decent series, if memory serves. I recall they hung out with the Losers once. Now THERE's a concept, a platoon with constant tragedy and they usually fail in some vital aspect of their mission but it usually turns out for the best. I think some PCs would kill themselves to get out of that one after a few sessions!