Champions Villains, Volume 3: Solo Villains

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions Villains, Volume 3: Solo Villains

I feel sorry for the stores. I usually buy my books via hard copy from my favorite Hobby Shop. But I got tired of waiting an got the pdf version instead. Now, I have no urge to get the hard copy, even though I have the volume 1 and 2 as hard copies.

If a lot of people do this; the hard copy versions will not get purchased, and the stores (which I think get a percentage of sales) suffer due to the lack of sales

• 2 weeks later...

How long is this 'queue'? Surely it's earned it's spot at the front of the queue by now!

Umm, one book long, as we've been saying. I don't know how many times I need to repeat this- we couldn't afford to have Star miss Gencon, and we couldn't afford to do both big, expensive color books at once. So it's the next big color book we'll do. I don't have a date for you yet, but as soon as I do you'll all hear it. dw

I totally understand the desire to have Star Hero done for Gencon, no question, I guess it was the eight months or whatever prior to that that was muddying the waters lol. On the other hand, I'm sure I've missed status changes in the print backlog so apologies if this is just rubbing salt into an old wound! I do try and check Steve's Friday updates each week and always dip quickly into the store to see what's new in hardcopy but I don't always check the message boards the way I used to.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to it!

• 2 months later...

I'm looking forward to this volume. I have yet to purchase volumes 1 and 2 because in my campaign I prefer to use my own master villains and teams. Individual villains that are easily plugged into whatever else I am doing, though, are essential.

I do plan on getting the other volumes, but they aren't my top priority yet since I am only just now starting to build up my 6th ed library. I have the Bestiary ordered and I'll be picking up the equipment guide after that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was poking around in the store today and discovered that along with the pdf (which everyone knows about) there's also an HD Character pack for this title... and a bundle that wraps up all three titles from the 6E Villains Series into on bundle for $39.99.

Just something to consider while awaiting the fate of the printed version...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Goradin

I will settle for black and white just to get the book. The book is probably already laid out for one or the other but I will buy it either way. I think color books raises cost too much.

I wonder if it makes sense to do a Kickstarter with two tiers. As in if they get $X they publish in black and white and if they get $X+Y they publish in color. That would allow us as fans to see what the cost differential is between color and b&w.

I guess one issue with that is if there are people who would pledge for color, but don't want the book at all if its only going to be b&w...

I wonder if it makes sense to do a Kickstarter with two tiers. As in if they get $X they publish in black and white and if they get $X+Y they publish in color. That would allow us as fans to see what the cost differential is between color and b&w.

I guess one issue with that is if there are people who would pledge for color, but don't want the book at all if its only going to be b&w...

There's no provision for such a setup in Kickstarter.

Guest dan2448

I guess one issue with that is if there are people who would pledge for color' date=' but don't want the book at all if its only going to be b&w...[/quote']

I'm afraid that I would be one such person. I wouldn't be interested if the book were to be printed in B&W, or soft cover.

Guest dan2448

I'd strongly prefer the book to be hardback/color not so much for the "graphics" per se, but rather so that the 3 volumes in the set all look the same. I remember when I bought vol. 1 thinking there was a chance that a small company like DoJ might not ever make it to vol. 3. So I was well aware of this risk when I bought v1 and v2. But that being said, when the company announced plans for a 3 volume set of Villains books, I think there's an implied commitment to print them all in the same format.

Obviously, financial exigencies have intervened. And that's entirely understandable. But I would feel a little let down if the Kickstarter coming soon was, in the end, for a soft cover B&W book. If it were to be so, I am confident that it would be done that way for some very sound business reasons. But I can't think of any business reasons, no matter how valid, that would compel me to buy a v3 that was published in a different format. It would be like driving a nice car with one wheel a spare tire perpetually.