What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finished?

Bozimus

Re: What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finis

The only books that I've read recently that fit into this category are Deception Point by Dan Brown

(detailing a conspiracy involving NASA, the NSA, and the White House), and Dead or Alive by Tom

Clancy (the second book in the Campus series; basically, this is Clancy's version of Stony Man Farm).

This was the follow-up to Teeth of the Tiger, the first book to introduce the Campus, a top-secret

operation initiated by Jack Ryan while he was still President, and of which his son Jack Jr. is now a

member of.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Re: What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finis

My Gun is Quick by Mickey Spillane. In the previous book, Mike Hammer kills a naked woman. This time he kills an old man who is trapped by falling beams by shooting him in the head before the firemen can get to them. This would not pass muster today. It is brutal. Good but brutal.

My Gun is Quick by Mickey Spillane. In the previous book' date=' Mike Hammer kills a naked woman. This time he kills an old man who is trapped by falling beams by shooting him in the head before the firemen can get to them. This would not pass muster today. It is brutal. Good but brutal.[/quote']

You must be leaving out some important tidbits about the victims. Unless Mike Hammer has become a psychopath?

Heretic's Daughter, a novel about the early American witch trials. The first half was kind of interesting, in that it laid out just how someone could attract enough enmity that an accusation of witchcraft would gain traffic. The second half was boringly close to history.

In the first case the killer murdered Hammer's buddy and went on to kill the spouse as well before Mike caught on. In the second case the guy is the head of the vice racket in New York and had his own grand daughter murdered. Hammer had met her briefly and gave her some cash to get her life back on track. So he decides to avenge her.

In the first case the killer murdered Hammer's buddy and went on to kill the spouse as well before Mike caught on. In the second case the guy is the head of the vice racket in New York and had his own grand daughter murdered. Hammer had met her briefly and gave her some cash to get her life back on track. So he decides to avenge her.

That explains things! Thanks!

"Bad Man's Gulch" by Max Brand. Actually, three long stories, only one of which appeared in magazines under the Brand name. (Coincidentally, also the one that he simultaneously sold a movie script for.) Exciting Western action, the middle story of which "Billy Angel, Trouble Lover" has the rarity of being from the woman's perspective.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Read The Bricklayer by Noah Boyd. The FBI is being framed and extorted. They need someone on the outside to investigate. Former agent Steve Vail is recruited to find out what is going on and stop it.

CES

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished "The Sun Over Breda", book 3 of "The Adventures of Captain Alatriste" by Arturo Perez-Reverte.

I started this book with slight reservations. The previous book in this series, "Purity of Blood", did not exactly "knock my socks off". But I decided to give this third book in the series a chance based upon the high regard I hold for the author, Arturo Perez-Reverte.

I keep hoping for another "El Club Dumas" and I keep getting disappointed. Don't get me wrong...this book was a pleasant read. However, it did not quite deliver what was promised on the inner flap of the hard back cover..."a gloriously dramatic novel of war and honor...". I am an action junky! I WANT to read the blow-by-blow of a sword/pistol fight... But Perez-Reverte (too often) abstracted the action. He would get to a juicy fight scene and poof...he would sum up the outcome instead of letting me see/experience it. ARRRGHHH!!! Arturo, You lost at least 1 full star for that, me bucko. If your intended audience were the women buying "50 Shades of Grey" I could understand abstracting the violence. But how many women are going to buy into this series?

To sum it up, there are better examples of historical fiction out there (Bernard Cornwell's excellent "Saxon Tales" to name one). I doubt that I will read book 4 of this series "The King's Gold".

I just finished "The Sun Over Breda", book 3 of "The Adventures of Captain Alatriste" by Arturo Perez-Reverte.

I started this book with slight reservations. The previous book in this series, "Purity of Blood", did not exactly "knock my socks off". But I decided to give this third book in the series a chance based upon the high regard I hold for the author, Arturo Perez-Reverte.

I keep hoping for another "El Club Dumas" and I keep getting disappointed. Don't get me wrong...this book was a pleasant read. However, it did not quite deliver what was promised on the inner flap of the hard back cover..."a gloriously dramatic novel of war and honor...". I am an action junky! I WANT to read the blow-by-blow of a sword/pistol fight... But Perez-Reverte (too often) abstracted the action. He would get to a juicy fight scene and poof...he would sum up the outcome instead of letting me see/experience it. ARRRGHHH!!! Arturo, You lost at least 1 full star for that, me bucko. If your intended audience were the women buying "50 Shades of Grey" I could understand abstracting the violence. But how many women are going to buy into this series?

To sum it up, there are better examples of historical fiction out there (Bernard Cornwell's excellent "Saxon Tales" to name one). I doubt that I will read book 4 of this series "The King's Gold".

I've got a couple of that series ("Captain Alatriste " and "The King's Gold" )but haven't read either of them yet. I am currently reading "The Romanov Prophecy" by Steve Berry, not a bad thriller so far, but I am less than half way through it.

Birdsong This is about an Englishman who comes to France in 1910 and has an affair with a married woman. Six years later he is in action on the Western Front just before the Somme. But where the book differs from others on similar subjects is the details about the mines both sides dug to get at each other. Fascinating.

Starts on the BBC tomorrow.

There is an Australian movie about tunnellers in world war I "Beneath Hill 30" but I haven't seen it and so can't make a recommendation ( I saw ads for it). If the subject interests you it might be worth looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

Read Dark Revelations by Anthony Zuiker and Duane Swierczynski (but I doubt Zuiker did much of the writing). Apparently this was the last book of three. A mastermind named Labyrinth concocts this complicated plan to kill people and use that as a means to attack institutions around the world taking advantage of his ability to push people into doing what he wants.

Steve Dark, ex-FBI serial killer hunter, joins the manhunt trying to stop Labyrinth.

It's a light read and moves fast glossing over its improbable plot as it goes. If I remember right there was some kind of internet video tiein, but I didn't bother using the prompts

CES

Wrath of Angels by John Connelly. Charlie Parker is asked to look at a plane that came down in the Northern forests. A plane that no records exist of. A plane that went down some years ago. A plane where something survived.

If you like the battle between Good and Evil wrot large then this is for you. But don't come straight into this start with Every Dead Thing.

Shelley's Heart, a 1995 novel by Charles McCarry. A sequel to 1979's The Better Angels its the story of a contested Presidential election in the then near future. A movie based on the Better Angels was made called Wrong is Right!, a would be Dr. Strangelove comedy that when viewed today seems frighteningly prescient.

Leslie Nielsen plays an ex-President trying to win a another term from the man who beat him.

• 2 weeks later...

Ash by James Herbert. James brings David Ash back a second time after his first appearance in Haunted and then in The Ghosts of Sleath. This time David is investigating a remote, and very exclusive, castle where a haunting might be in progress. James Herbert plays a game with the reader by hinting that certain things in the book might be true i.e. the identities of two children, odd disappearances and how certain people got into power. If you like James Herbert's work then you will like this. But to get the full impact you need to have read the previous two books featuring the character.

Fifteen Seconds. A plastic surgeon is pulled over for a minor traffic violation but then finds himself on the run after the policeman is shot. It's an incoherent action movie waiting to happen and makes about as much sense as this video. (Contains vulgarities)

Disappointing particularly since the point where they start asking him all these 9/11esque questions about people he was never with and places he'd never been looked like a promising paranoid storyline inspired by the author's real life experience with paranoid cops. But then the whole thing derails into timewasting nonsense.