What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finished?

Bozimus

Re: What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finis

That one started off well but really slowed down towards the end.

Milady was pretty one dimensional too. It would have had far more depth if Athos actions in the past had been what set her on the path to villainy, rather than having her evil for no reason at all. Even the most vile people do not see themselves as villains.

Still, I enjoyed the book.

Re: What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finis

Finished listening to the audio book of Soon I Will Be Invincible last night. I'm already on record as being a big fan of this book, and I'm glad to go through it again. The narrators (one or each main) were only alright, a B-. While Doctor Impossible's narrator had a great Hans Conreid meets Vincent Price type of quality at times, there were some lines which were flat out wrong in interpretation, which bothers me. Fatale's narrator was good for Fatale, but completely awful on some of the male characters, especially Feral.

Upon second reading, some things were much better than I remembered, while other things didn't hold up as well. I know some people don't like to read a book more than once, but I almost always find it worth the effort.

I really want to go write up some characters! :D

• 3 weeks later...

All Hallows Eve - Carolyn McCray

The style is very much Dean Koontz meets Scream. In some ways it is a police procedural, though very light on that aspect. In other ways it is a slasher flick transferred to words. There is supposedly a twist, but the Red Herring was painted a little too brightly. There was even a secondary Red Herring, but that one was obviously not the killer. That left only one person who fit the bill. For that though, it was a pretty fun read. The first time I have sat down and read a non-Dresden book in some time. I will also give the author my highest praise for not throwing in gratuitous sex scenes or explicitly described rape scenes. It was refreshing to read a story that depended on such inconsequential things like plot and characterization to carry it through.

3.75/5 Over-the-Top-Death-Scenes

The author could have gone a little bit more on the procedural aspect of the story. The killer's identity was practically shown in bright lights, very early on. A bit heavy on the gore, though that is more a warning for folks who may be squeamish as any direct complaint from me.

I'm currently on a classics binge. Right now I'm reading Swords of Mars (Book 8 of the Barsoom series). I have a few more Mars books, then I'm debating between the Tarzan and Pellucidar series, or the Howard Conan stories.

So many books, so little time. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished "Lords of the North", book 3 of the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell.

This was my least favorite (thus far) of a very enjoyable series. Not saying it was bad, just not as good as the previous two books. This book had more filler/pointless scenes than book 1 or book 2. Most of them revolving around the character of Guthred.

Uhtred Ragnarson has started using gimmicks to defeat much more powerful adversaries. This robbed the story of a great deal of tension. The exception to this was the sneaking into Dunholm's fortress. That was well-handled. I wish the rest of the book followed the same course as the Dunholm infiltration.

Even though this third book wasn't up to the standards set by the first two, it was still a fun and exciting story. I will gladly read book four, "Sword Song", in the not too distant future.

• 1 month later...

Read the Drop by Micheal Connelly. Detective Harry Bosch has a cold case where the victim was found with a drop of blood from a sexual predator twenty years too soon, and a hot case where a man might have jumped from his hotel balcony, or maybe dropped over the edge.

CES

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Sharpe's Rifles and am now reading Sharpe's Havoc. So far I'm enjoying this series very much.

Have any of the T V movies (I think they were done as such) been shown in your area ? I found them enjoyable , but I haven't read any of the books.

The Sharpe's stuff makes me sad because it's on my list of series I'd love to read but probably will never have time to. As it is I have to take days off from work once each decade when GRRM puts out another Game of Thrones book.

• 2 months later...

One for the Money by Janet Evanovitch. There was an okay movie based on the book last year. The wife loves the series and has almost all of them. I was looking for a quick, easy read while on a business trip, and took it. Not bad. A little more comedy than I'm used to in detective genre books, but it works. Just started the second book as my default bedtime read.