What Fiction Book (other than Science Fiction or Fantasy) have you recently finished?

Bozimus

• 3 weeks later...

Reading another Douglas Reeman book. This time it's Strike From The Sea.

4183.jpg

From the back cover:

The Beast. She was the largest submarine in the world, an undersea cruiser with twin turret guns, her own spotter plane, and forty "fish" in her tubes. She was Soufriere, and she was French, but it was 1941 and Hitler's legions held Paris...

Ainslie's men. They were the hand-picked best of the Royal Navy and de Gaulle's Free French, armed with Bren guns and revolvers, shuddering through the straits of Borneo on an ancient rust-streaked tramp, steaming for the lagoon where Soufriere lay hidden.

Their job: seize her.

It is my sad duty to report that Douglas Reeman, the author of this book among many others. is on his deathbed. 

He wants to die at home and his wife is trying to raise money to allow him to do just that. 

I'm sure that any help would be appreciated.

https://www.douglasreeman.com/

• 2 weeks later...

And I Darken by Kiersten White. It was actually kind of fun. It's a historical novel about Vlad the Impaler (you know, the guy who inspired Dracula).  The book is part of a series, so the first on is just about the main character's time spent as basically a hostage in the Ottoman Empire.

Except, in addition to the standard fictionalizing of history (stuff gets made up), this is a gender swap novel. Vlad the Impaler is now Lada the Impaler. And she has a torrid romance with Mehmed the Conqueror.

• 7 months later...

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernie Hemingway.  I should have hated this book.  It's written as though it's translated from Spanish (since it is set during the Spanish Civil War).  Hemingway's technique of avoiding writing actual profanity and sex is clumsy and annoying.  And the plot is incredibly slow for a book about frickin' guerilla warfare.

Yet there is a simplicity and stillness to Hemingway's prose that carries the reader along in spite of all that.  It's a quality I've noticed that seems to be consistent among talented literary writers, from McCarthy to Vonnegut to Wolfe.  Hemingway accomplishes a lot with the words he puts down, resulting in a vivid and atmospheric setting.  And there is a great deal of depth and meaning in even the most seemingly-irrelevant passage.  I have read many war novels, but the only other one that really makes you feel what the characters are feeling like this one does is that one by Remarque. 

I give this book four dynamites out of five, dinging it one dynamite for the slow start.

It is my sad duty to report that Douglas Reeman, the author of this book among many others. is on his deathbed. 

He wants to die at home and his wife is trying to raise money to allow him to do just that. 

Mr. Reeman passed on January 23rd, according to the link.

I have read a few books

The Late Show by Mike Connally. Renee Ballard is a female detective working overnight where she and her partner take initial reports and then hand them over to dayshift detectives. Then Renee starts trying to work cases that she should be handing over. Ballard is just as tenacious as Bosch and as prone to cutting corners, but she makes a lot more mistakes since she doesn't want to obey rules or trust anyone since a former partner didn't stand up for her when she needed him to do that. I came away not liking the book, because I didn't like her.

Matchups is an anthology where writers team up their characters. Naturally I liked the Reacher/Bones teamup the most.

No Middle Name by Child. Short stories featuring Jack Reacher. James Penney's New Identity, Portrait of a Lonely Diner, and No room at the Inn were the best stories in the book.

CES      

Just read all of Robert Howard's Conan stories in a collection.  I'm struck by the ease with which he created this world when it really was the first real fantasy world anyone had ever imagined.  Before him there were faerie stories and tales of strange things but this was the very first fantasy world.  Conan stories predate all of Tolkien's books and all the Narnia books.  They're great stuff, and the character is fascinating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Murder in the Ballpark by Robert Goldsborough.  I think the guy gets a bad rap for writing Nero Wolfe without being Rex Stout.  His writing of Wolfe and Goodwin is fine, I think.  Except...I was irritated by the repeated reference to "co-eds from Vassar".  It's clearly 1949-1950.  There are no co-eds from Vassar.  There won't be until the 60s.  And the pacing of this one wasn't great.  Really it was pretty simple case.  

• 1 month later...

Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 5. (Also Volumes 1-4). Most of them are westerns, unsurprisingly, but one collection is devoted to crime stories and boxing stories (and half and half), and another is adventure stories. He's known for the details in his stories, and rightly so. The incredible variety of settings is remarkable (a zillion desert stories, and every one is different from the last aside from the heat and lack of water), and stories vary a lot as well. Well worth reading.

I wonder why he didn't just use the name of the real French submarine that he based this one on  the "Surcouf" ?

• 5 weeks later...

The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg. This purports to be 'true' account of events that happened in Scotland at the start of the 1700s first being set in historical context then covering the first person narrative of the sinner followed by a tailpiece by the editor. It highlights an extremely dangerous religious idea that if you are predestined for heaven, you are incapable of doing wrong.

• 1 month later...

Cochrane biography by David Cordingly.  A very fine tale of an extraordinary man's life, although troubled and usually his own worst enemy.  Most sea novels that have been written to one degree or another borrow from Thomas Cochrane's life, as he was an amazing captain.  Patrick O'Brian, for example, swiped the entire first cruise of Cochrane including its ridiculously improbable capture of a ship about five times its size.

• 2 weeks later...

"Virtue of War" by Stephen Pressfield about Alexander the Great.

Really its more about the concepts of leadership, how to conduct one's self in an army, etc, but its also a history.  Not as good as his book "Gates of Fire" largely because of his lack of characterization and the use of modern terms to make the book more readable.

*** ½

"Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. An interesting and informative read. The main idea is that Europeans developed a powerful society before anyone else did NOT because Europeans were in any way superior to anyone else, but because Europe is the only part of the Earth that meets the requirements for building a powerful society. If you've ever played a 4X or civilization builder game, you probably know all about crappy start locations.

"Trunk Music" by Michael Connelly.  A decent police procedural story marred by cinematic excesses that happen far too often in Connelly's books.  And Harry Bosch has to be perhaps the world's most difficult to like protagonist in a long series.  The guy is just seriously a jerk to everyone.