Perfect World acquires Cryptic Studios

Certified

The article

"We are very pleased to sign the agreement to acquire Cryptic Studios. This strategic acquisition will add attractive game titles to our portfolio, which will help us further penetrate into the U.S. and global online game markets. More importantly, Cryptic Studios' highly reputable development team and its technology platform will further strengthen our well-established R&D capabilities. We deem this as another noteworthy achievement of our global expansion efforts."

.. and scroll down to the comments for doom... Doom..... DOOM!

Re: Perfect World acquires Cryptic Studios

I had been hoping that, once they'd finished the Moon as a Zone, Cryptic would turn to doing a Zone in China. In reality this probably won't affect this in the slightest, but it does increase that hope.

(China in the CU does have much to offer for a Zone: the Tiger Squad, Shamballah and Agarti [where did those Shamballah Vampires in Vibora Bay come from?], Yeti [another Sasquatch village or two], Dr. Yin Wu, the Warlord's activities there, and Li Chun the Destroyer come immediately to mind from 5th Edition materials. A VIPER Nest and a Demonhame could also be inserted, and there's probably plenty of opportunity to insert bits of Chinese lore into the mix.)

I also wonder what will happen to the games in the Arcade in Vibora Bay. (If you haven't taken a good look there, and have unlocked that Zone, go take a gander now.)

To go directly to topic: unlike the doom-and-gloom naysayers (which come out of the woodwork with just about any notable change), I'll take a wait-and-see attitude. I doubt players will notice much difference -- certainly not in the short term, and probably not much ever that could be ascribed to Perfect World.

As I know virtually nothing about Perfect World I tend to be in the same wait and see boat with you. I find it interesting that it took 2 weeks to find a buyer which does go to aid my theory of Atari is not the brightest bulb in the box. A zone in China would be nice. Actually, I'd like to see more zones around the world, this could really help with the scale and feel if you're bouncing from China to Brazil to Germany then back to the US.

Mixed feelings on this. I'd hate to see the Champions IP get a 'Chinese government approved' overhaul, which as a Chinese company, I fear Perfect World might be subject to. On the other hand, an international touch might have many advantages as others have stated.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been playing Perfect World for about three years and it has good points and bad. I am sorry to say that lately the 'bad' has seriously outweighted the 'good'. PW is, like every company, only concerned with the bottomline and to the point that they ignore not only player comments but refuse to fix program glitches that have existed since Beta. Their stock answer to everything is to add 'packs', sort of a lottery scratch and win. Thing is the odds are probably better with the lottery. Unfortunately the 'packs' flood the game's economy and drive prices to outrageous levels. For example, 1 gold, which is equal to $1 USD was worth about 100k in game coins when I started now, it is up to 1.5 million game coins. As a non-cash player I have found I can no longer stomach weeks of grinding just so I can afford my next piece of gear. I am sorry to say that with PW in charge of Cryptic within a year you'll be cussing them as much as those of us that have abandon PWI. Go over to Perfect World International's website and drop into the Forums. It'll take about two minutes to see that PW does not care a bit about the players. Pick a thread here : http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

R.I.P. Champions Online

The Champions Online economy has already basically been destroyed by inflation (the rewards for missions and such are nowhere near enough to afford the prices charged by those trolling in chat or in the auction house), so I'm not sure what more Perfect World can do to destroy that. Besides, the game can be enjoyed without buying a single item from anyone. I have never purchased an item from another player and the only time I've used the auction house is to buy bigger bags for my start-up characters. I don't think I'm missing much.

Yeah I sell stuff for, cheap, heh, so cheap it horrifies the folks that have all the costs worked out..... Lota Lag today though so haven't run around, been trying out different builds here and there. Playing with the Archtypes. I wish they had a real Energy Blaster though. Got a Kirby Dot flight power, now we need a Kirby Dot blast things power. Force looks to wimpy, and Lighting is about as over powered as an ego blade.....someday.

~Rex