Clever Future Weapons

CorpCommander

There was a Keith Laumer story whose name I no longer recall. The hero had a "gun" that was about the size and shape of a 3" smooth stone. It had some incredibly compressed fluid in it, and "firing" it released a tiny amount via a pinhole, causing it to expand rapidly and vaporize....and deliver a massive "punch" at very short range. I'd call it a HTH physical attack, maybe 8D6 that adds to any damage done by a punch. Or maybe 4D6 penetrating...

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Chuckg

True, the willygun is a nice weapon.

They never did explain how they gave it a minimum safe arming distance, though. It'd really suck to fire it off, have the BB hit a twig two feet in front of your muzzle, and blow you up.

I always got the impression that it was a kinetic energy weapon that used its incredible mass and hyper velocity to create the "explosive" effects. Maybe I should reread the series.

IIRC, the extremeyly light and fast "bbs" were made of "AM2" surounded by "Imperium" on impact the shell cracked, and they went off like a fair sized explosive. I can't recall what the actual power level was, just that a hit was pretty much a kill.

IIRC, with enough shots, heavy armor could conceivably be chewed through.

Neat, but....

I was really bothered by the sniper rifle explanation though. "English" works pretty well on a pool table, but just because a projectile is spinning in a preset manner by a computer doesn't mean it should be able to turn right angles in atmosphere. Now a curve to hit the same area, but that is much less useful due to obstructions.

Originally posted by Mentor

I always got the impression that it was a kinetic energy weapon that used its incredible mass and hyper velocity to create the "explosive" effects. Maybe I should reread the series.

Originally posted by gewing

IIRC, the extremeyly light and fast "bbs" were made of "AM2" surounded by "Imperium" on impact the shell cracked, and they went off like a fair sized explosive. I can't recall what the actual power level was, just that a hit was pretty much a kill.

IIRC, with enough shots, heavy armor could conceivably be chewed through.

Neat, but....

I was really bothered by the sniper rifle explanation though. "English" works pretty well on a pool table, but just because a projectile is spinning in a preset manner by a computer doesn't mean it should be able to turn right angles in atmosphere. Now a curve to hit the same area, but that is much less useful due to obstructions.

After we accept "AM2" and the "Imperium" shield, a little more "rubber science" to accept a rifle that shoots around corners is just a little more "Annie Oakley" than impossible to accept.:D

Yeah, but the rest of his science actually made some kind of sense! AM2 was extradimensional, etc.

I would have just made a rifle with 2 barrels, one fires a larger, more aerodynamic am2 projectile for longer range, and the other fires a micro-missile... :)

Originally posted by Mentor

After we accept "AM2" and the "Imperium" shield, a little more "rubber science" to accept a rifle that shoots around corners is just a little more "Annie Oakley" than impossible to accept.:D

My game features a dimension spanning organization called "Central" that provides the players with all sorts of crazy gadgets (including a magically detonated suitcase nuke, just the once - things were Bad).

Some weapons that haven't already made this list:

- Supercavitating Gauss Weapons.

They differ from the campaign standard in that they are a larger calibre than normal and feature a specially shaped head that is designed to cause a shockwave underwater, so the round can ride a bubble of steam at near-normal velocity. It's based on real weapon the Russians have.

(Haven't actually used any in play, but a player is planning on requisitioning one. Apparently fighting house sized jellyfish with normal AP rounds wasn't an experience he wants to repeat. :) )

- High Impact Crossbows

They're designed to look medieval for when the players are someplace low tech, but use advanced materials. They require STR 24 to reload with all that implies about damage, and incorporate a subtly hidden laser sight. The bolts are made of hyperdense material.

- "Meep" Guns, aka Coherent Neutron Wands

They fire a wide beam of deadly, invisible radiation.

It's a 3d6 RKA AoE: 1 hex, NND Does Body (defense is LS [Radiation]), IPE vs. Hearing and Sight, Reduced Range 100".

Originally posted by CorpCommander

Its lame in the fact that it is so overdone. I doubt coherent light weapons will become useful as personal weapons. I think more interesting weapons will come into play and coherent light will play the part it's played for 3 decades now: range finding and guiding. Some lasers have been useful for ABM and anti-satalite work but overall I don't see people running around with laser weapons anytime soon if ever.

Well, here's an idea then.

Advantage of lasers is that they can track, quickly.

1d6RKA (energy) invis sight, hearing (+3/4), constant (+1), only 1 target at a time (-1/2) OIF:shoulder mount (-1/2) 15/41/20

You make an attack roll to "lock on" to a target. Target then takes damage every action as the laser tracks all the movement. Not much damage, but imagine walking into an ambush where 4 or 5 guys with this were set up. You wouldn't even see them and you'd start taking a bunch of attacks every action. Only way to break it is LOS. Would work even better linked to an activation sight flash every turn.. you start looking for the shooter and there is a chance the beam will hit your head.

Alternatively, set it to "protect" mode. Shoot anything entering an area that you don't recognise.

1d6RKA (energy) invis sight, hearing (+3/4), trigger: any time a target comes within X" (+1/2) OIF:shoulder mount (-1/2) 15/27/18

(damage based on a 1d6K = pistol damage scale)

DF

Originally posted by Mordacius

Supercavitating Gauss Weapons.

They differ from the campaign standard in that they are a larger calibre than normal and feature a specially shaped head that is designed to cause a shockwave underwater, so the round can ride a bubble of steam at near-normal velocity. It's based on real weapon the Russians have.

Ah yes, the Rocket propelled torpedo. It is suspected that the unstable fule they used in these beasties is the cause of the massive torpedo room explosion that sank the Kursk several years ago. The weapon has a blunt face and releases bubbles to form a special interface between torpedo and water. The US experimented with similar technology but to my knowlege has not put into service any similar weapon. The idea is that a cruiser going 30 nauts shouldn't be able to "dodge" this like a regular torpedo.

Ah yes, the Rocket propelled torpedo. It is suspected that the unstable fule they used in these beasties is the cause of the massive torpedo room explosion that sank the Kursk several years ago. The weapon has a blunt face and releases bubbles to form a special interface between torpedo and water. The US experimented with similar technology but to my knowlege has not put into service any similar weapon. The idea is that a cruiser going 30 nauts shouldn't be able to "dodge" this like a regular torpedo.

Yep. Lets it move through a gas, instead of a liquid. I thought the idea was hopelessly clever in real life, never mind a game.

Pity about the Kursk, though. Hadn't heard about that.

IIRC

The original design is claimed to be built for a submarine to fire a retaliatory shot at a sub that shot at it, the nuclear warhead will go off and make it very difficult for the opposing sub to actually hit them with a torpedo.

This was a non-guided weapon, moving at about 200 mph.

I would guess it was actually designed for trying to kill aircraft carriers.

There may be a newer version, it is somewhat possible that a fiber optic guidance system, with the targetting being done by the launching submarine could give a more effective non-nuclear weapon.

US is playing with the technology, afaik, but the russians have had it for years. I doubt it is really very practical, but I could be wrong.

The US fielded the Davy Crockett, so we have done some silly things too. :)

Originally posted by CorpCommander

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by DigitalGolem

The Ice gun;

Makes its own ammo from water, may also dissolve various chemicals in each round, and after hitting its target at lethal velocity, the ammo dissolves. No evidence.

How to accelerate an ice needle to a lethal velocity, I have no idea. Perhaps a high-tech heating element in lieu of a firing pin, creating a small but powerful steam explosion? Any other suggestions?

thanx heaps,

DGv3.0

DigitalGolem DONT RIP OFF GURPS.

One variant on the needler that I always thought was pretty cool;

Ammunition is a solid lump of plastic. The bullets are jagged shards, that are torn off and thrown out by contact with a high velocity flywheel. Wouldn't be great range/accuracy due to the poor and variable aerodynamics of the 'ammo', but at close range, it would tear an unarmoured opponent to pieces.

oberon

Slaughterhouse Novel Weapons

In reading a number of fairly obscure cyberpunk / cyberfuture novels I am reminded of these weapon ideas...

The Passive Aggressor...

A powerful energy weapon constructed with an empathy chip. This high tech weapon is designed to automatically fire at the first person that exhibits hostile and aggressive emotions towards the individual carrying the weapon.

The Judge

Another weapon linked with super advanced psionic futuristic technology. The judge will only fire at someone that "deserves" to be shot. Legitimate "judge" weapons that have had their data chipware tampered with turn into a variety of related weapons...

The Republigun - Guns that only shoot liberals.

The Bi-Polarizer - A psionic weapon that makes angry and aggressive targets extremely passive and listless / depressed and listless targets into foaming at the mouth maniacs.

=)) These are all offered with a nudge and a wink.

Ace

Originally posted by Greenstar

There was a Keith Laumer story whose name I no longer recall. The hero had a "gun" that was about the size and shape of a 3" smooth stone. It had some incredibly compressed fluid in it, and "firing" it released a tiny amount via a pinhole, causing it to expand rapidly and vaporize....and deliver a massive "punch" at very short range. I'd call it a HTH physical attack, maybe 8D6 that adds to any damage done by a punch. Or maybe 4D6 penetrating...

It was a weapon called a Slug Gun. Because when you used it, it made you look like you just slugged someone. The game Space Opera actually had that one in the arsenal.:D

Re: Slaughterhouse Novel Weapons

The Passive Aggressor...

Reminds me of the STOP THAT cannon used in the Illegal Aliens book (by Nick Pollotta and Phil Foglio, IIRC). This is a weapon that was developed by a telepathic race that forced the target to cease all movement -- a Mental Entagle, in other words.

They also had the SHUT UP variant that they developed for use at press conferences...

Re: Re: Slaughterhouse Novel Weapons

Originally posted by mattingly

Reminds me of the STOP THAT cannon used in the Illegal Aliens book (by Nick Pollotta and Phil Foglio, IIRC). This is a weapon that was developed by a telepathic race that forced the target to cease all movement -- a Mental Entagle, in other words.

They also had the SHUT UP variant that they developed for use at press conferences...

Those were entertaining. :P

I also liked the Atomic Vortex pistol. Awesome damage but a distressingly short range.

The rifle and cannon variants were damn impressive though.

Also the Fuerstenberg. The multi-purpose Space Marine rifle.:D

Re: Re: Re: Slaughterhouse Novel Weapons

"First in Peace, First in War, Furstenberg." :):):)

Originally posted by Kestrel

Those were entertaining. :P

I also liked the Atomic Vortex pistol. Awesome damage but a distressingly short range.

The rifle and cannon variants were damn impressive though.

Also the Fuerstenberg. The multi-purpose Space Marine rifle.:D

if it matters

on Mythbusters the other night they prooved that one can't create an "cold" types of munition that is propelled via gun powder. the cold makes the powder not detonate. so the bit that does go off pusshes the un spent poweder out with the projectil (the only cold thing that worked was frozen ground beef) and sprayed the dummy with the un-used powder. left alot of forensic evidence.

But as for cool sci-fi weapons, the plasma garrote (johnny mneumonic style) was a favorite. And to go with magnetism, a small round that once it hits it's target it sends out a strong magnetic pulse to pull the iron out of the blood... thpough i gues with that kind of strength one would also pull all metal objects to the target... messy either way.

I'm betting lots of future weapons will be non-lethal. Stuff like:

Sonic blasts that KO non-protected people (directional for most uses).

Laser / intense light that induces convulsions and /or temporary blindness.

Biologic / chemical weapons that the cops are defended against (think CS gas, but with much better knowledge of how to affect people). We have many orifices that can be made to rapidly expell noxious stuff. Heck, even making someone sweat extremely would drain them of water and energy, might upset electrolyte balance.

Bacteria / nanites designed to eat dead cells only - strip off all a victim's hair and outer skin. They'd be so sensitive a slight breeze would be agony, much less to move.

EM fields that disrupt the brain (very dangerous!) or muscles (not as bad if it can be tailored for voluntary muscles). Maybe we can affect nerves only up to 1" inside a person ("skin depth" - hah!). That would shut down conciousness, or cause some sensation (e.g. burning) over all your body.

EM tuned for specific chemicals, like microwave ovens are tuned for H2O. Bad news if it's tuned for ATP (fuel source for all our cells). A burst of EM might deplete someone's ATP - until the mitochondria resupplied enough, they'd be out. Probably kill them though. Maybe the EM beam would be narrow, the victim would only lose control of their legs for example.

All of this can be delivered any number of ways. Guns, grenades, flechettes, gases, smart machine or biologic, ... whatever. Mix & match, and add flavor to suit.

So let's make one up:

The cops are faced with a riotous crowd, egged on by the UMD (a violent anti-government organization). Not wishing to kill citizens, the cops bring out a Lumpy.

A "lumpy" is a genetically engineered small fleshy animal that's a cross between a ferret and a bat - or maybe a big eyed hairless chihuahua (Ren & Stimpy). Once activated (say it gets fed a "Rabid-Pellet") it has an insatiable desire to mate with a person's face.

Of course, the cops have visored helmets that don't look good to the lumpy.

The lumpy is set loose, seeks out a target & splats on their nose. A self-destructive orgasm explodes in it's tiny brain, releasing enzymes that digest the critter from the inside out in seconds.

That leaves a pound of goo on exposed human flesh, goo that contains a chemical stew capable of penetrating skin and depositing enough LSD to divorce the victim from reality.

The sight of the horrorendous attack & it's disgusting result quickly drains the will to fight from the crowd.

Get the idea?

Originally posted by TaxiMan

Biologic / chemical weapons that the cops are defended against (think CS gas, but with much better knowledge of how to affect people). We have many orifices that can be made to rapidly expell noxious stuff. Heck, even making someone sweat extremely would drain them of water and energy, might upset electrolyte balance.

Unless society has changed a lot this won't fly. US Army was using CS gas to clear out tunnels in Vietnam. It resulted in less casualties for both sides. However the press pounded them for using "chemical weapons" and that was halted. After that it was flame throwers, grenades and 105mm shells. Gotta love the distinctions the public makes when it comes to fighting war with some sense of humanity.

I know what you mean. From a policy perspective it's easier to kill someone than incapacitate them. If they're left alive, they get on the news & complain & sue. I suppose that's normal enough, but it's a pretty complacent & jaded society that pays attention to them.

However, if a society decides they mean business, I'd expect a lot of that to dry up quickly.

I should add though...

I should add that I really liked your posting. It was a real stretch of the imagination and that unconventional thinking is the way to go to get innovation. Certainly in adding excitment to games, challenging someones world view with wierd situations or weapons in this case is always good.

I was once asked how to defend a division such that it wasn't worth attacking. Part of the defence was triple standard concertina wire around the perimiter, filled with an aerogel that was impregnated with VX or some other nasty concoction. It was shot down before being examined because only conventional defense were allowed in the discussion. I wonder if our enemies at the time were being so strict in their thinking.

At one point in one of "the Fleet" books by David Drake, someone's computer tells him there is an intruder in his apartment. He has the Sound system/security system broadcast ultrasonic vibrations until the person feels like they are about to lose control of several functions, iirc also upset inner ear.

Originally posted by Arkham

My favorite 'future' weapon is from Transmetropolitan...

The 'Bowel Disruptor'. It does just what it sounds

like it does.... Eww....