Alternate Sexualities in Champions and Supers settings

phoenix240

Homosexual characters came up in an earlier thread (discussing the Vandeleur Twin, IIRC) and someone mentioned that there were several in the Champions Universe. Does anyone know who they are off hand?

Also, do alternate sexualities come up much in your supers games? Are any of the major characters PC or NPC GBLT?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Alternate Sexualities in Champions and Supers settings

Our Wyldstrike Universe games have a pretty inclusive mindset. There are several prominent gay and lesbian NPCs, Free Spirit is openly bisexual and poly-amorous and a few PCs.

Brickhouse is openly bisexual

Fisticuffs is gay and hoping to marry his long term partner

Impact is unsure of her sexuality but thinks she may be a lesbian

Omega is openly gay but single

Tao is a hermaphrodite so technically bisexual though shi has yet to display any drive towards romantic or sexual relationship at all.

Edit: How did I leave out Null. He was the first gay character in the game.

Sexuality is a non-issue for my characters. They don't form romantic relationships (just not something I'm interested in dealing with at the table). The closest I've come to having a character have a relationship in the last ... at least 5 years as Vixen dating someone on the football team at her school in a Teen Champs game, and she was only dating him because he was on the football team. Instant path to popularity. I'm not sure we ever bothered giving him a name ...

This is another reason why I play a lot of artificial characters (robots, golems, genetic constructs, etc). You don't have to worry about a character's sexuality when they don't really have a sexual designation.

In the Champions Universe, Justiciar, leader of the Canadian superteam StarForce, is gay, although that fact doesn't appear to be public knowledge. Millennium City's aquatic hero, Hydro, is also gay. His civilian Secret ID is in an open relationship with another man.

In the Champions Universe' date=' [b']Justiciar[/b], leader of the Canadian superteam StarForce, is gay, although that fact doesn't appear to be public knowledge. Millennium City's aquatic hero, Hydro, is also gay. His civilian Secret ID is in an open relationship with another man.

Thanks!

In the published CU, I recall that Hydro from Champions Universe: News of the World is gay. Not much mention is made of it in his writeup, aside from DNPC: Boyfriend. I rather like it this way - why should it be any kind of big deal? Nothing there screams "HEY! CHECK IT OUT! HE'S GAY!" or anything like that.

As for others? None immediately come to mind, but that isn't to say there aren't any more. I'd be inclined to think that some of the shapeshifters around, like Masquerade or that sample villain who's name I forget from The Ultimate Metamorph (was she just "Morph"?), would be likely to have a flexible view of their gender identity.

Edit: Ah! LL beat me to the punch. Justicar was an obvious one, too.

There are a lot of unusual relationships in my champions game. Captain Unity dates Eiko Takashima, who used to be Eiji Takashima. Thanks, random genetic transformations after forgetting to turn your force field on. Since Eiji was a gay man, and someone activated his regeneratron while he was covered in the blood of two lesbians, we rolled for his/her new sexuality RANDOMLY, in true gamer fashion.

Red Baroness is dating Lady Polarity.

Shadowsilver (A girl) married Millennium Guard's secretary. They have a polyamorous open relationship.

There's a lot of that stuff floating around. There are plenty of straight, normal relationships. One of the funniest things that ever happened in Knight Rangers though, was this. Flea was protective of women, and he jumped in front of Knighthawk to protect her from a villain called Obelisk. "Keep away from her. I'm sure you want her for some nefarious purpose."

Obelisk: You know, that's pretty insecure. But, since you're much more attractive to me than she is, maybe she should be protecting you.

So after the table stopped laughing, combat resumed.

Let's see:

1. Played an alien from a polysexual culture--childhood lasted only 18 months, and "greeting" each other was pretty standard etiquette. Adjusted slightly to Earth culture.

2. Had various gay, bi, or lesbian PCs appear in various campaigns I've been in. Generally most groups haven't had a problem with this.

3. Played an Olympian demigod with almost zero sexual taboos or inhibitions. Slept with androids, women, men, blood relatives, supervillainesses...

4. Played a number of fairly conservative, monogamous hetero male PCs. Don't recall playing a strictly hetero female PC, but I may be forgetting someone.

5. Had a shapeshifting character whose gender was completely mutable. Was in a relationship with a woman, though whether as male/female/dragonnewt/other was deliberately ambiguous.

Romantic content was pretty commonplace across different groups, but sexual content/subtext varied a lot more--different comfort zones, different RP styles and campaign themes.

Sexuality is a non-issue for my characters. They don't form romantic relationships (just not something I'm interested in dealing with at the table). The closest I've come to having a character have a relationship in the last ... at least 5 years as Vixen dating someone on the football team at her school in a Teen Champs game' date=' and she was [i']only[/i] dating him because he was on the football team. Instant path to popularity. I'm not sure we ever bothered giving him a name ...

This is another reason why I play a lot of artificial characters (robots, golems, genetic constructs, etc). You don't have to worry about a character's sexuality when they don't really have a sexual designation.

Data admitted he was fully functional.

One of our regular players is gay, though he often plays hetero PC.

In fact, virtually all of the PC to PC and PC to NPC romance has been straight couplesnow that I thinkn about it.

For example, Chimera's bisexulity honestly never came up in game, though there were a few jokes about him and one of the other male PC's falling asleep together after a night of research (it was strictly plutonic... he wasn't Vin's type at all)

There are several prominent homosexual NPC's in my campaign, though one of the girls the players suspect is a lesbian is not (it's complicated doesn't quite cover it)

IMX, TG characters are very few and far between and usually involve metamorph powers...

So after the table stopped laughing, combat resumed.

That's pretty good. :D

Shapeshifter named Dancer who was born a male but since he got powers and always self identified as female' date=' switched.[/quote']

Was it a major storyline?

3. Played an Olympian demigod with almost zero sexual taboos or inhibitions. Slept with androids, women, men, blood relatives, supervillainesses...

Makes sense with the background

I wanted to say its a pleasure to participate in a thread on this subject matter that doesn't explode into a flamefest and holier than thou competition.

The Wardens Chronicles campaign is set in San Francisco and the paranormals in the area tend to reflect the demographics of the area.

Captain Fantastic was a vocal proponent of gay rights, here is a write up for him I adapted for another thread... the "Create a Hero Theme Team" thread created a GLBT group...

Captain Fantastic - http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/80447-Create-a-Hero-Theme-Team!?p=2066531#post2066531

The Wardens have had two openly gay members, Boost and Delta-Vee.

Data admitted he was fully functional.

Which strikes me as kind of ridiculous, since those parts are for reproduction (which robots can't do) or for enjoyment (which Data can't do because it's an emotion). On the other hand, part of Data's storyline was how he wanted to emulate humanity, and my artificials never have that issue.

Which strikes me as kind of ridiculous' date=' since those parts are for reproduction (which robots can't do) or for enjoyment (which Data can't do because it's an emotion).[/quote']

Dr. Noonien Soong was a huge perv ;)

But consider that Data and Lore were essentially designed to be More than Human and were made in their makers image. Plus Soong did make the emotion chip eventually...

Sadly, the only time I've seen anyone play an alternate sexuality was this one creepy (straight, cis) male who played only lesbians for his own personal fetish material. He hit every bad stereotype while playing. :(

That's pretty good.

I wanted to say its a pleasure to participate in a thread on this subject matter that doesn't explode into a flamefest and holier than thou competition.

Well isn’t Champions a game where the majority of the men run round in tightfitting spandex so if most players are OK with that they are probably more open to other things as well. ;)

I have a player who's character is gay. One of his complications is Fashionista (serious fashion victim from the gay point of view) so just a bit of stereo typing then.

"That green does not really suit you" to the VIPER agents :)

Oh, I almost forgot another Champions Universe character who likely qualifies, the Canadian shaman-superhero Ravenspeaker, who like his patron god is a hedonist and a lecher who'll hit on women or men with equal gusto.

Dr. Noonien Soong was a huge perv ;)

But consider that Data and Lore were essentially designed to be More than Human and were made in their makers image. Plus Soong did make the emotion chip eventually...

And Data always had a "Tin Woodsman" thing going on, IMO. The show just never settled on it enough to do anything with it. But I agree that him being anatomically correct and functional made sense given Soong's goals.

Was it a major storyline?

Not really, but in Dancer's few appearances she had her powers negated on 2 occasions. The first time she reverted to her original gender - causing something of a scandal.

The second time? She was still a woman. And unbelievably happy. She's still active though as her powers returned.

Sadly' date=' the only time I've seen anyone play an alternate sexuality was this one creepy (straight, cis) male who played only lesbians for his own personal fetish material. He hit every bad stereotype while playing. :([/quote']

*nods* Most of my playing days were in highschool and the idea never occured to us. I've made a few characters for my world (since it's been mostly an intellectual exercise over the last 2 decades *sigh*...but in games I've played (cons and such) this was, sadly, the most common use. Or the insulting Captain Gayz! type thing the player thought was funny.

Which strikes me as kind of ridiculous' date=' since those parts are for reproduction (which robots can't do) or for enjoyment (which Data can't do because it's an emotion). On the other hand, part of Data's storyline was how he wanted to emulate humanity, and my artificials never have that issue.[/quote']

Right, he had a desire to be human....an emotional need. From the get go.

This is another reason why I play a lot of artificial characters (robots' date=' golems, genetic constructs, etc). You don't have to worry about a character's sexuality when they don't really have a sexual designation.[/quote']

I knwo it is mostly about sexuality, but even a not anatomically correct character could be romantiallcy atracted to soem persons. Vision from the avengers was such a chase.

I'd be inclined to think that some of the shapeshifters around' date=' like Masquerade or that sample villain who's name I forget from The Ultimate Metamorph (was she just "Morph"?), would be likely to have a flexible view of their gender identity.[/quote']

And perhaps their significant others are tempted too? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html