Powers for a Time Manipulating “Speedster”

bigbywolfe

After reading some old threads about Time Stop powers and the suggestion that stopping time works better as a SFX than a power in and of itself I got the idea for an odd character. Basically he would fit the classic Speedster archetype but the SFX of his powers would not be that he is super fast, but that he unconsciously slows time down.

I figure a lot of his powers would be standard Speedster powers. Increased movement: he slows time down allowing him to move very far quickly, but he would not be able to do the run across water or run up walls trick (his movement would be Running, not Flight only in contact with surface). He’d have relatively high DCV and OCV and possibly a high DEX since when he concentrates on doing something “fast” he slows time down allowing him more time (so to speak) to react. Perhaps give him a limited, personal Danger Sense to represent a mild, unconscious Precog ability.

What other powers could he have that would seem like Speedster powers but fit the Slow Time SFX? I wouldn’t want him to have any of the friction or vibration powers sometimes associated with Speedsters. Would limiting his velocity damage (since he’s not actually moving super fast) for Move-Throughs/Move-Bys be worth a limitation? He could still have an Auto-Fire HtH or just a big HtH with the SFX “I hit you 50 times before you can react”, but what else could he have for attack powers that aren’t based on Velocity and that have Time Manipulation SFX that could be mistaken for “Super Speed”.

Re: Powers for a Time Manipulating “Speedster”

If you just go with Teleportation with the Must Cross Intervening Space Limitation instead of Running it takes care of the Velocity based Damage issue for you.

A good Dispel vs. tech without 'force fields' might be good too.

I'm a big fan of Oddhat's original idea of using Overall Levels to represent 'super-speed' (see his Flash tribute Always for an example of this). Since the rules allow a character to do a task 1 step down the Time Chart @ -3 it stands to reason that each set of +3 Overall Levels could be used towards the same. If you don't want the levels to apply to certain things (like Interaction Skills) you can apply a Limitation as well.

I wish there was a standard method of combining VPP with a limited sfx & a way of limiting the variety (to start out with) that is not as extreme as just building it as a Multipower (to represent limited skill/familiarity without using RsR rules). Something like the first 10-15 slots are 'free' but anything beyond that requires the purchase of a 1 or 2 point 'familiarity' for every +X new slots (not as expensive as Multipower Slots).

I had thought about Teleportation, but I think that's something the character may build up to. My thinking is he can't move that fast (ie. slow time down that much) yet. Plus, wouldn't Teleportation need a limit as well to stop him from using it vertically unless there was an obvious, accessable way to climb up or what not? Or does Must Cross Intervening Space cover that?

I built a character more-or-less on this premise a while back. I used the T-port w/must cross intervening distance (The Limitation does not specifically preclude vertical movement, but based on SFX I defined it as there being a requirement that she must be able to reach wherever was going by physically traversing the distance with her 'normal' movement) and included some Overall Levels to simulate extra time for skills.

I gave her a +4d6 HA to represent a 0-time Haymaker, and a Naked Advantage AOE - Any Area on her STR to represent the ability to effect multiple opponents.

I'm attaching her current 6e build. I'll also note that she's an NPC in my Loose Ends campaign (and Heroes of Hudson City before that) on Hero Central.

I can't get hdc files at work, but I'll check it out at home. Thanks.

Any suggestions for other Powers? Maybe some other attacks or just some flavor abilities that could develope into something interesting if he ever actually realizes how his powers really work.

I gave her high DEX in her original 5e version, but I replaced it with Lightning Reflexes in 6e. I also used Rapid Attack, Additional DCV, and Defense Manuever I-IV with the 'Costs END' Limitation to represent the ability to briefly step outside of time and reset herself appropriately. Her Combat Luck is built with the same SFX.

i have a character with a similar shtick hes the son of a speedster who unfortunately inherited his fathers senses but not his speed so he perceives things as moving at a snails pace.

a couple of powers i used for him

all the time in the world to plan skill levels usable by others for teamwork and tactics with incantations SFX is he can perceive events and plan a course of action.

all the time in the world to find your weaknesses find weakness with the special effect of taking his time to look for chinks in his opponents Armour.

all the time in the world to dodge dcv levels based on being able to see and react to attacks quicker.

all the time in the world to look for clues sense bonuses reflecting his ability to take in a scene in minute detail.

all the time in the world to read: speed reading

*Duplication as the character Appears to be moving so fast to be multiple places at the same time but is instead just "flexing" time to allow for the effect.

*Or, if actual Diplication seems out of place, try Images to just look like you're in more than one place at the same time.

*Fully Indirect Attacks as the time manipulator sets up the environment around the target to cause harm/immobilize/hamper target.

*Inventor/Tech Savvy characters might be able to have a Gadgeteering VPP with 0 phase but that can only create devices from parts available in local vicinity.

*Minor Transforms as the character causes all sorts of mischief upon time frozen targets.

*Don't Forget Skill levels with Disarm-by as the character pries targets weapons from targets cold, time-froze hands!

All I got for now

Indirect can be used (and is used this way in HSMA) to make a unblockable attack (wherever you block, can attack from behind).

I once thought of the ability to stop time totally shortly. You have some time to catch a breath, but are unable to affect the world in any way. Maybe you can't even move, because you would be cast back to where you started once time starts again. Could be built as EDM (corresponding point in alternate dimension), but limit the uses per combat or session and limite the duration (could also be build as a Heal END/STUN that leaves Drain fading and other things out of it).

That he can't walk across watter is not so true. Watter can move away for infinitte distances, but not infinitely fast. So when you just have very short contact the water simply has no time to move away (that is why otehr speedsters can run on it). The same way it prevent some types of damage (see next sugestion).

Time manipulation could also be used to protect from attacks. Damage comes from applying a lot of force in a very short time. By "stretching" the attacks force over a longer time the overall impact is lessened (Damage Reduction, generally high defenses, non persistant or perhaps hardening for existing defenses).

The slowed-down kinetic energy aspect of experiencing time at a different rate from an attacker above might be better modeled as Damage Negation. A bullet that hits you at a subjective speed of 5 mph is going to do no damage at all, not half as much damage as usual.

Sight Group Flash might be a possibility, with the "speedster" being able to either poke someone in the eyes or fling paint, sand, etc. in their face at his leisure.

You can do a limited form of clinging with time stop I believe.

CES

Together with the delayed effect for walking on dangerous terrain that is just the same as flying, must remain in contact with surface in the end.

The slowed-down kinetic energy aspect of experiencing time at a different rate from an attacker above might be better modeled as Damage Negation.

This. I tend to write down the wrong one, this is one of these chases.

How about a short range Blast. The sfx is that he stops time, goes to the enemy, punches him, (has to) walk back where he came from and the starts the time again. While he is technically punching the enemy, that is so fast that damage shields can't do damage to him. And that it is not augmented by STR is just a side effect of requiring temporal manipulation energy to even affect the enemy in the first place.

Hmm... there's not much I can add here, but you may want some variation of the Hypercombat Martial Arts package. Flying Dodge goes well with the Teleportation power that Hyper-Man and Tom described. Martial Dodge/Block fit just as well with the time-stop SFX as they do with superspeed. Martial Escape and Martial Takeaway both make sense defined as slowing time down enough that your opponent can't react in time to stop you from freeing yourself or your his weapon. The latter two, and maybe Block, might require IPE depending on just how much you slow time down. That can get tricky without HSMA handy.

Stretching with IPE defined as stopping time, moving, doing something, and returning to your starting position, could also be interesting and has more non-combat uses. But it would require, possibly linked, IPE on your STR. It might also need some limitations dealing with where your body is if you suffer knockback, get con-stunned, take BODY damage, or the like as a result of using the stretching. For instance, if you trigger a damage shield and get sent flying by knockback you should probably be sent flying from somewhere in HtH range of said damage shield.

In any case, the previous suggestions are all very good. Especially the skill levels to represent having more time to think or perform a skill with.

Virtually,

Bodkins Odds

PS. I'm afraid that I may be overcomplicating things again. Am I?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's an odd little power I was thinking about that might work for any Speedster:

Invisibility to Sight Group, Zero END, Bright Fringe, Linked to Running (Only Works at Non-Combat Speed), Doesn't Affect characters with x100 Rapid Sight or greater. Basically, when the Speedster goes superspeed he doesn't actually become invisible, but becomes a blur that couldn't be identified as the character. This could allow him to run past video cameras leaving only a blur on a second or two of tape, or run through a crowded room in an emergancy without his costume on without being identified.

What do you think? At 30 AP 17 RP is it too expensive for a mostly flavor power? Does the build itself look okay?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's an odd little power I was thinking about that might work for any Speedster:

Invisibility to Sight Group, Zero END, Bright Fringe, Linked to Running (Only Works at Non-Combat Speed), Doesn't Affect characters with x100 Rapid Sight or greater. Basically, when the Speedster goes superspeed he doesn't actually become invisible, but becomes a blur that couldn't be identified as the character. This could allow him to run past video cameras leaving only a blur on a second or two of tape, or run through a crowded room in an emergancy without his costume on without being identified.

What do you think? At 30 AP 17 RP is it too expensive for a mostly flavor power? Does the build itself look okay?

Since it is for non-combat only it might be easier and cheaper to just build the same effect with Teleportation and appropriate Limitations.

Since it is for non-combat only it might be easier and cheaper to just build the same effect with Teleportation and appropriate Limitations.

HSMA had Batmans ability to just vanisch when you look the other direction, build as following:

Teleportation 18m (18 Active Points); Can Only Teleport To Places Character Could Normally Go (-½), Must Cross Intervening Space (-¼), No Noncombat Multiple (-¼), Only To “Vanish” When No One Is Looking (-½).

Also you could just use Shape Shift (Sight) to archieve it. It's the usual power for hiding/faking Identities and fairly cheap.