Common superhero types you've never seen in play

CrosshairCollie

Re: Common superhero types you've never seen in play

Apparently all the cool kids have one of these, though mine was still spider themed and also a NINJA! :sneaky:

Any of you haters that are groaning right now can bite me... it was the 80's, I couldn't help it...

You know, I don't think I ever converted him to HERO System... must rectify that situation shortly...

No groaning here - I never really developed past the "Spider-Man + ninja = awesome" phase. :o

Truthfully, while I've gained a considerable amount of maturity and new interests over the years; anything I loved when I was 6, I still love now - pretty much without exception. I just have a bigger budget for toys now!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiderman is a ninja!

1) He wears a face-concealing mask and suit.

2) His favorite weapons are surprise and distraction.

3) He's a martial-artist.

4) He can sense danger.

5) He's mystical in some incarnations, scientific in others.

Even more so now, since he's been getting training from Shang-Chi in martial arts.

Spiderman is a ninja!

1) He wears a face-concealing mask and suit.

2) His favorite weapons are surprise and distraction.

3) He's a martial-artist.

4) He can sense danger.

5) He's mystical in some incarnations, scientific in others.

And despite his title he is a mammal and does indeed flip out and kill people every now and then. I'm not sure about wailing on a guitar but that might be the exception that proves the case.

It is a Double Dog Dare...... You should see the character I play in Golden Age's Epic City game. 15 def (only 6 resistant and that from combat luck), 23 dex Martial Artist in a land of 14+ DC attacks High End Super Heroic Mayhem (It's not called Epic City for nothing, heh...)

~Rex

He's "squishy!" =D

When we played Epic City, my character Chimera did fine with 4 rPD/rED and there were PLENTY of Nazi's trying to kill us with plasma cannons and machine guns.

He was something of a Beast homage, so he was pretty tough (20 PD/15 ED) and had a high DCV (Dex of 30).

I still remember one particular exchange where I knew I was in danger if I didn't put everything into defense...

Golden Age, preparing to roll a large number of dice: What's your DCV?

Me: 16

GA, jaw drops: What?!?!? I can't hit a DCV of 16!!!

Me: Not my problem :D

Chimera was pretty cool what with his Island of Dr. Moreau homage and his Copereira. Very effective!

Well' date=' not [u']everyone.[/u] I loved that story!

(I was 13 - admittedly, I still like it.)

Ugggghhhhhhh! ...I was 17....Amazing Spider-man Vol 1 # 270. Was still in Wiesbaden at the time, so picked up my comics at the Stars and Stripes book store, after school, skipped early football practice/pep rally (it was comic day), and sat down to read the Horror of Horrors....

That story actually made me Mad. I mark that day as the day Spider-Man died for me, and the day that Tossing out things like Continuity and what a Character can do in comics, became standard practice (though in 85 this was limited to a few characters). I actually, tore that comic up, ripped it to shreds, and tried to get my Dog to eat it. He refused, so I took it back to back to football practice anyway to vent; where we stuffed it under the two man sled while we ran drills on it for an hour or so, then we dug it out, and laid it out page by torn page, weighed down with a Commissary Cake Doughnut (Itself, a Horror of Horrors, and If I recall, they are the principle ingrediant in the Chobham Armor used on the British Challenger 2 Tank right now.....), and we watched Cars and Trucks run them over, and took bets on how long it took the Doughnut to re-inflate after it got flattened by a bus....

In November, 1985, Spider-Man was Incinerated by a Herald of Galactus. There has been no Spider-Man since......

~Rex

Ugggghhhhhhh! ...I was 17....Amazing Spider-man Vol 1 # 270. Was still in Wiesbaden at the time, so picked up my comics at the Stars and Stripes book store, after school, skipped early football practice/pep rally (it was comic day), and sat down to read the Horror of Horrors....

That story actually made me Mad. I mark that day as the day Spider-Man died for me, and the day that Tossing out things like Continuity and what a Character can do in comics, became standard practice (though in 85 this was limited to a few characters). I actually, tore that comic up, ripped it to shreds, and tried to get my Dog to eat it. He refused, so I took it back to back to football practice anyway to vent; where we stuffed it under the two man sled while we ran drills on it for an hour or so, then we dug it out, and laid it out page by torn page, weighed down with a Commissary Cake Doughnut (Itself, a Horror of Horrors, and If I recall, they are the principle ingrediant in the Chobham Armor used on the British Challenger 2 Tank right now.....), and we watched Cars and Trucks run them over, and took bets on how long it took the Doughnut to re-inflate after it got flattened by a bus....

In November, 1985, Spider-Man was Incinerated by a Herald of Galactus. There has been no Spider-Man since......

~Rex

Dude...

That story actually made me Mad.

I was so furious about that carp that I blew a gasket!!!! I still get taunted by my friends about it (LAST WEEK!!!)!

~Rex

"Must spread rep" :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I probably should have mentioned, this isn't a concept I'd play without making sure the group was mostly cool with it first. I say mostly because if the GM and most of the players are on board, you can probably work around the desires of one or two objectors...

Yeah, this is understandable.

I think if you play the power mimic a bit more like everyone elses sidekick, it's usually not an issue. Batman doesn't complain that Robin is stealing his schtick because Robin enhances it, but I know plenty of players that don't like sidekicks so this may not be the correct approach either.

You can always work out reasons why a duplicator can't duplicate a particular set of powers. Maybe you can only copy mutant powers and your team mates include power armor guys and magic users. Maybe you can duplicate any powers, but never get skills. Or you lack the knowledge of how to properly use the newly gained abilities, so you stick to things you know best most of the time. Maybe, like Rogue, you're duplication is somehow unpleasant so you primary use it on the bad guys. Maybe you just respect Ice Man's desire to be a unique little snow flake and choose not to replicate his powers or maybe you had a bad accident with the Human Torches fire powers and swear off never using them again.

There's tons of ways to make it work without stepping on peoples toes, you just need a little communication and willingness to work together IMO.

Obviously, if you bring in a character that has ALL the attributes, skills and powers of every other player at the table and can use them all at once, well, somebody isn't playing with the same number of points as the rest of the table.

So this is a build I don't give much consideration to, even though classic team busters like Super Adaptoid, Mimic, Amazo and the Super Skrull pretty much worked just like that...

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to say the Power Mimics and Cosmic VPPs are bad and evil and should never be played ever. But I think they bring some issues to the table that need to be considered and some of the reasons that people dislike them (GMs and other players) are valid. They are a workable concept but it depends on the Players involved (like allot of things really).

I probably doesn't help my outlook that I've only personally experienced very bad examples. Players that used the concept to ride roughshod over the rest of the group (of often less experienced thus less optimal playerss and that's a situation where Universal character can be better or at least equal to the others) and a lenient/inexperienced GM. Even the guy that said he'd be backup and assistance become annoying because he insisted in jumping into everyone big scenes and spotlight moments to steal some of the limelight instead of letting them have their moment in the sun.

"BULK AM STRONGEST THERE IS!"

"And me, look at me, I'm darn strong too!"

"ENOUGH! no you shall fall before the power of m-"

"-OUR Astroblasts!"

Like most things, it amounts to 'only give an iffy build to a player who you know will not abuse it'. This is an issue with Vixen (13 power sets, two of which overlap with other PCs), though I've corralled it by making sure everybody takes part in plans, and giving her overlapping powersets the ability to boost the other guys' powers. So when we need a big lightning bolt, I help Dynamo make it instead of making it myself. :)

Actually, the big difference between comics and the game is that characters in the comics - say, X-Men - generally avoid being hit, rather than soaking up hits. The DCV's are higher, considerably, than OCV's. Where, in game, most players want to hit reliably, certainly more often than they miss, so defenses take the forefront and DCV takes a back seat.

True. In fiction characters are only hit when the writer wants it to happen. No such luck in role playing games and DCV is capped in most cases so when that hit gets through most players want to their character to be able to take it and give back as good.