Okay class: Make me a rogue.

Old Man

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Okay class: Make me a rogue.

Silliness aside, I decided today was the day I get that Troubleshooter package deal down. So, after a bit of thinking, I punched this one down in HERO Designer 3.

The Troubleshooter

Cost   	Power 	END  	
6   	1) +3 DEX  	
4   	2) +4 INT  	
2   	3) +2 REC  	
4   	4) +2 with Deduction  	
4   	5) +2 with High Society  	
4   	6) +2 with Interrogation  	
4   	7) +4 with AK: Local City  	
8   	8) +4 with Lockpicking  	
8   	9) +4 with Security Systems  	
3   	10) WF: Blades, Clubs, Crossbows, Fist-Loads, Thrown Knives, Axes, and Darts  	
1   	11) Local Resources: Equipment and/or Contact Points: 20 (2 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Activate, -1 1/2),
             Physical Manifestation (-1/4)  	
2   	12) Find Evidence: Mental Awareness (5 Active Points); 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4), Requires A Roll (Skill roll: Deduction; -1/2),
             Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2)
       [Notes: With this ability, a player can tell the GM what he is looking for per charge; if the clue is in the area that the character
             is actively searching, then the GM can describe what the evidence is and where it is, but not what it means. That's up to the player.]

Total Character Cost: 50 

The Troubleshooter isn't a stealthy assassin-type rogue. He's the guy who you go to fix your problems, whether it's finding out who murdered the guildmaster (or planting evidence pointing to someone else,) asking the right questions, getting the right equipment, or busting through that mad mage's inner sanctum without getting everyone killed (or worse.) It's his brains, knowledge, and nimble fingers that saves his bacon--although it never hurts to be prepared beforehand.

Silliness aside, I decided today was the day I get that Troubleshooter package deal down. So, after a bit of thinking, I punched this one down in HERO Designer 3.

2 12) Find Evidence: Mental Awareness (5 Active Points); 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4), Requires A Roll (Skill roll: Deduction; -1/2),

Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2)

[Notes: With this ability, a player can tell the GM what he is looking for per charge; if the clue is in the area that the character

is actively searching, then the GM can describe what the evidence is and where it is, but not what it means. That's up to the player.]

I agree with Lucius. Seems to me that a Detect would be more appropriate than Mental Awareness. Put it in the Unusual Group to represent a logical process rather than a purely sensory one. Other than that, a great little package deal.

The Troubleshooter

Cost   	Power 	END  	
6   	1) +3 DEX  	
4   	2) +4 INT  	
2   	3) +2 REC  	
3   	10) WF: Blades, Clubs, Crossbows, Fist-Loads, Thrown Knives, Axes, and Darts  	
1   	11) Local Resources: Equipment and/or Contact Points: 20 (2 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Activate, -1 1/2),
             Physical Manifestation (-1/4)  	
2   	12) Find Evidence: Mental Awareness (5 Active Points); 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4), Requires A Roll (Skill roll: Deduction; -1/2),

Total Character Cost: 50 

The Troubleshooter isn't a stealthy assassin-type rogue. He's the guy who you go to fix your problems, whether it's finding out who murdered the guildmaster (or planting evidence pointing to someone else,) asking the right questions, getting the right equipment, or busting through that mad mage's inner sanctum without getting everyone killed (or worse.) It's his brains, knowledge, and nimble fingers that saves his bacon--although it never hurts to be prepared beforehand.

Awesome. I never would have thought to try and design a black bag type.

For this type of Player Character' date=' I find it essential to make a distinction between "morally flexible" and "ethically flexible." PC rogues may have little use for many of the ethical codes of their societies -- robbing or swindling people who can afford it, or even in some sense deserve it; breaking laws in ways that don't seriously hurt anyone, just for the thrill; and so on -- but can still take a strong moral stance on issues of justice, protecting the helpless, fulfilling obligations, keeping their sworn oaths, and the like.[/quote']

Psych Lim: Always Does The Right Thing In The End

• 2 weeks later...

Went back and made adjustments as per suggestions. I also clarified the Local Resources ability so you don't look bad pulling out that 20-pt magic item that you just "borrowed" from an unsuspecting mage. (Not that there's consenquences for doing that as well. :D )

The Troubleshooter

Cost    Power 	END
6   	1) +3 DEX  	
4   	2) +4 INT  	
3   	3) +3 REC  	
1   	11) Local Resources: Equipment and/or Contact Points: 20 (2 Active Points);
                 Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Activate, -1 1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)
       [Notes: Can procure standard tools and gear with in-game stats up to listed AP total;
                 specialty/rare or enchanted items are by GM's fiat. The player can
                 "borrow" a contact's skill/ability if the price can be easily met by the player.]  	
1   	12) Find Evidence: Detect A Single Thing 12- (Unusual Group) (3 Active Points);
                 3 Charges (-1 1/4), Requires A Roll (Skill roll: Deduction; -1/2),
       [Notes: With this ability, a player can tell the GM roughly what he is looking for per
                 charge; if the clue is in the area that the character is actively searching,
                 then the GM can describe what the evidence is and where it is, but not what it
                 means. That's up to the player.]  	[3]

Powers Cost: 50