...And now the city is mine to control! Muahahahaha!!!

SSgt Baloo

Re: ...And now the city is mine to control! Muahahahaha!!!

The Spider actually fought this menace in the Black Police Trilogy. It's fairly awesome, if incredibly violent.

As for means of keeping the city:

1) Robot Councilmen. They just constantly deadlock and don't do anything, and they're programmed to do it! Oh, wait. You don't need robots to do this!

2) Infectious Field: Anyone who steps into the bounds of the city gets a deadly time-release virus that will kill in three days if someone doesn't give you a pill. The pills are pretty expensive, but everyone needs them, so take your pills, citizens.

3) Kill Everyone and replace them with robots, zombies, or what have you. See #2, only the pill is a placebo and everyone dies.

4) Make it appeal to a certain type of person who feels disenfranchised yet has a useful skill set. (Minorities, Youths, Anarchists, Terrorists, whatever.) Offer those sorts of people money to come there. This is useful because then you have a built in militia. This is how all these "I shall build a city of crime" things get started.

Three is actually a bad idea. Those living people are the only thing keeping the military from bombing the crud out of you after all and actively killing large numbers of the population is more likely to inspire the military to do so.

As was mentioned most cities in comics seem completely shut off from the rest of the country. If a city mayor should say hand over all police functions to the robogaurdbot or a private security firm, noone outside the city ever bothers checking if he knows what he's doing. Which isd good as the robogaurdbots are really my secret army andf soon I will rule the city Bwahaha.

Which actually leads to an easier way to conquer the city, as the mayor of the campain city tends to be in full control, all you really have to do is kidnap them. For saftey sake you might want to consider kidnapping the city council and police chief. Then the mean version. Kidnap all the orphans from the orphanage. Then you can force the police to enforce your will. Like collecting a tax on eggs. BWAHAHAH.

I'm considering the idea of the noble villain say a doctor doom type taking over a city after a natural disaster

think new orleans after katrina while FEMA and the national guard are run of there feet doc mayhem and his mayhemoids take over the city but the trapped citizens are so happy to be rescued and the super tEch makes lives better soon mayhemopolis is an example for the rest of the nation

So if I somebody were to attempt to control the Tri-State Area' date=' there'd be no-one to stop them except the police and sheriff?[/quote']

They'd probably have some kind of militias (I certainly wouldn't want to deprive my more powerful characters of the opportunity to demolish the occasional tank or shoot down some fighters) but nothing like the size of the American military establishment even put together, and in particular no vast nuclear arsenal. The Cold War never happened, and while World War II did, and American city states participated, the weapons of mass destruction developed for it would be more like the things comic book gadgeteers develop.