How (un)realistic are Street Samurai?

Ragitsu

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How (un)realistic are Street Samurai?

... SINless gutter trash that have sold their bodies for power. No better than junkies or prostitutes in the eyes of the true professional.

Official ISSV Urban Brawl Rules: http://www.intercom.net/user/logan1/ubl.htm

Urban Brawl History

In 2022, the rumble à la mode for French street gangs who wanted to settle something was a fight between two armed teams on a patch of neutral ground. The side that scored the most goals in a simple ball game played with guns won the beef. The violent game played like a cross between "get the guy with the ball" and the gun fight at the OK Corral.

About this time the French corp, Javert et Cie., was trying to reclaim an economically dead neighborhood in return for extraterritorial rights like those granted multinationals. Javert was getting nothing but drek from the local gangs until some bright exec came up with the notion of sponcering these killer ball games that the punkers seemed to like. Cash purses, assignments in corporate security, and other goodies went to the winners.

The games really gripped the gangs' attention. They lost interest in doing dirt to Javert and concentrated on working to win the contests. Things really started cooking when a mid-level exec noticed that her fellow suits were betting like crazy on the outcome of the fights. Black market vids of the fracases were hot--the suits got a real kick out of watching the street trash waste each other. A quick check with the corp legal department was followed by some wheeling and dealing, and the next think you know, Javert et Cie. was feeding cable coverage of "Jeu de Guerre de Ville" to pay-per-view networks all over the country. Within a few months, satcasts were carrying the games all over the world.

Within months of their sports debut, the gangs organized into official teams. Non-gang players were introduced in Germany in 2024, the same year that Godiva Enterprises in Chicago adopted the game to co-opt the gangers plaguing its operations in the city's depressed zones. "City Combat Game," the English translation of the game's French name, didn't cut it as a U.S. sport name, so a brightboy somewhere dreamed up the name, "Urban Brawl."

By the 2050's, urban brawlers came from almost every social class and even include university teams. But most brawlers still come from the streets, betting survival against escape from poverty. In some corp enclaves, felons who are tough enough may be offered indenture on an Urban Brawl team instead of imprisonment or the big sleep.

The first North American championship, "The Super Brawl," was held in 2037. European urban brawl was dormant; the horrific EuroWar was giving everyone too big a taste of a real conflict for a small-scale, professional urban combat game to stay popular. When the war ground to a halt in 2042, the corps rebuilding the infrastructure of the continent channeled a lot of returning combat vets into urban brawl teams. A lot of these new brawlers were hooked on the battleboost drugs and chips that were used by all sides in the EuroWar, and this pushed the game's death rate to new heights. The first international Urban Brawl World Cup was in 2046, and has been held every two years since.

[edit]: Mind you, Shadowrun started its game materal time-line in the year 2050 (60 years in the future & synchronized w/ real-time publications). 2050 ought to be 21 years ago in current material.

Any thoughts about whether or not Shadowrun history should be revised to match real history? Actual Shadowrun history has been torn to peaces really badly.

It can only be called, "dated." ... but TRON is too.

~ Mister E ("Games.")

I don't think it would be hard to tack Shadowrun history onto real history. All that really matters is the Awakening' date=' which would plunge the world into the appropriate chaos regardless of the specific year.[/quote']

The Great Crash is pretty critical too. You can't have half the tech in the world without it. You could probably just have one crash if you were starting from scratch though.

• 1 month later...

A big thing about Street saumurais are the idiology behind the name. The concept is that in the future modern warriors will adopt or try to adopt Bushido to some degree. These street samurais will become romantic ideals in the media but the reality can be a lot grittier depending on the campain. They would use guns, knives, grenades and fists as the mission demands. Samurai swords or cheap knockoffs would be carried as symbols of honour, and might be used in ritual duels between warriors of that culture. Culture is the more important than weapons.

As for weapons swords might come back into use if armour tech evolves beyond bullets tech and you would need monoflimant swords or something to get through the armour.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry' date=' but everyone knows that the best clinics are in Chiba City.[/quote']

Ah, but the best selection of gear is in Hsinchu City*, the base for high technology industry in Taiwan. Hsinchu Science and Technology Industrial Park is home to 360 high tech companies including TSMC, Philips, United Microelectronics Corporation, Holtek, AU Optronics and Epistar. As a result, the city has the highest income level in Taiwan.

*Rendered many ways into English, including Xinzhu, or my favorite, Sin-tek.

Is the sword feasible at all?

There was an article just last week on the arrest of a large number of MS-13 gang members had been for running a prostitution ring. Besides other facts in the article, it was mentioned that at least one MS-13 member would often carry a machete in the safe house where the prostitution took place. It intimidated the johns and made sure they didn't become violent. Machetes are a symbol of MS-13, apparently.

In addition to what's been said here already, I'd say that a samurai sword would be practical from the stand point of symbolism and intimidation in a close range situation. Given that swords are not all that easy to carry around unnoticed, but are fine in a safe house or other prepared position, and can be deadly at close quarters, not to mention silent (won't arouse as much suspicion), I think they could be realistic in those situations. Also, given some fictional elements like "street samurai exist and are known," the presence of a samurai sword might identify the bearer as someone who is well trained and/or ruthless, and that might further add to any intimidation.

Just speculation here though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah' date=' but the best selection of gear is in Hsinchu City*, the base for high technology industry in Taiwan. Hsinchu Science and Technology Industrial Park is home to 360 high tech companies including TSMC, Philips, United Microelectronics Corporation, Holtek, AU Optronics and Epistar. As a result, the city has the highest income level in Taiwan.

*Rendered many ways into English, including Xinzhu, or my favorite, Sin-tek.

So the best gear in in Sin-tek, but the best clinics are in Chiba...I don't suppose you can bring your own gear to a clinic in Chiba?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Street Samurai

are the urban "professional" soldiers who fight in the unofficial corp wars. I have played a # of them over the years.

and even Shadowrun didn't outfit them with swords, but spurs.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/eg/grinningkat/Street_Samurai.jpg

They are not professional soldiers, but call them 1 step better then a gang banger.

If you are unfamiliar with Cyberpunk, before you make any further comments concerning the nature of "street samurai" please read http://project.cyberpunk.ru/lib/johnny_mnemonic/

Molly Millions in this tale is the original archetype of the Street Samurai and her opponent is the archetype of the Corporate Samurai.

I haven't bother to read every post; so, if I am repeating info, I apologize.

As someone with some martial arts training, I would much prefer to face someone with knife than a sword and sword over gun assuming everything being equal. On the other hand, I would rather take on an unskilled shooter than a skilled knife fighter, and I would be more afraid of someone sneaking up on me with a knife or a pistol than a sword or a rifle. It's kind of hard to hide a long weapon than a short one.

Having run Shadowrun and read a lot of the novels written for it I know the specific definition of a Street Samurai in Shadowrun (there are lots of good novels and quite a few not so good ones. A good one to start with which is a trilogy starting with Never deal with a Dragon by Robert N. Charrette).

As previously stated Street Samurai do not have to go around with swords. They are just a street slang for a chromed mercenry "with a strict code of street honour". So every Street Samurai in shadowrun will carry weapons which they think is the most appropriate for the job in hand.

Looking through my 3rd edition book the "Street Samurai" has in is equipment 3 SMG's, heavy pistol, light pistol, retractible spurs (long blade in a cyber arm), survival knife and a sword. So I think the sword is low down on the list of weapons they use. From the picture with the character I can not see any sign of a sword (why would he need it when he has the SMG's for medium and close range and a spur which can we drawn with a flick of the wrist and someone will not know he is armed with it until it is exposed in their inards).

But most of the "Street Samurai" in the books do not carry swords but if they don't have cyberware spurs or blades will carry a knife.

So this thread has developed into a discussion on the concept of a sword over a gun and in most cases this will not be the weapon of choice of a traditional Street Samurai.

The weapon of choice of the Street Samurai is more likely to be twin Ingram Smartgun (picture a big high tech Uzi).

So we should really be discussing the use of twin Ingram Smartgun over possibly the use of say a heavy pistol or shotgun for its effect in close combat ;).

Or should we be discussing the concept of why would someone replace their own body parts with high technology just to give them an advantage in combat. Cyberpunk possibly covers this better with a game mechanic of the more cyberware you have the more loopy you go. Whilein Shadowrun (at least up to 3rd I am not sure about after 3rd) it just limits your healing rate and magic use etc.

That's because Roomsweepers are awfully effective for being single shot.

My own SR2 street samurai's primary weapon was the FN assault rifle, with the usual smartlink and recoil comp accoutrements. Because of the way bullets penetrated armor better if you fired lots of them, he used 10-shot bursts--basically full magdump mode--to output something like 14D2 damage per attack, which was enough to badly mess up anything that wasn't killed outright. Not the most subtle or concealable weapon, though.