Women of the Champions Universe (Fanpictorial)

Epiphanis

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Women of the Champions Universe (Fanpictorial)

Thanks.

Viperia is intentionally somewhat elongated, to convey snakiness. I realize I made Stingray's shade of green too day-glo bright when it should have been more a subdued teal. I actually tried to tone it down with a blue color filter, to convey a sense of seeing-through water, but it didn't come out right.

I want to bring up that there are two characters I'd really like to do but am having trouble with. The first is Mechana from Book of the Machine. I hate the pink-faux-boob-chassis design of the illustration therein, but I haven't been able to come up with an alternative that I liked that matched the written description. Everything I've tried comes out too much like a crap version of Sorayama's "Robot Sexy" work, or maybe of Jocasta from the Avengers. When I try to make it more inhuman it becomes apparent that I suck at drawing machinery, and the feminine aspects (and even the anthropoidal aspects) get lost. I'm finding it quite hard to convey femininity while maintaining robotic abstraction; it may well simply be beyond my skill.

The other one I'm having a problem with is Valerian Scarlet. I've been trying to adhere to "official" descriptions as much as possible, with Cryptic materials trumping DOJ materials if there is a direct conflict. Cryptic made two character models of Valerian for the online game, but in my opinion the character models don't translate well into hand illustration. There are elements of each version that I like but they don't mesh well when I try to draw them. Particularly the weird physical floating tiara/half-halo thing on the evil version of Scarlet looks dumb when I try to illustrate it. I'm probably going to do a hodgepodge integrating different elements from the multiple versions but leaving out others.

• 2 months later...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41142[/ATTACH]

Diadem. There have been several published illustrations of her with slight variations to her costume. All had a little hood affixed to what I take to be a round-the-neck scarf, which I thought looked kinda dumb. I made the hood affixed to a little Sherlock Holmes hunters' cape with the scarf, which plays on the chevron-bordered brown-on-tan color scheme in one of the illustrations.

Actually, I cribbed the pose from a photo reference of a woman playing tennis; in the original she held a racket in her right hand and was in mid-swing. I thought it was suitably action-y but it looks like the end result fell flat.

Not many of us have the artistic skills to begin to critique, and problems with pose and proportions were what drove me to eventually just stop drawing entirely. I see some of your work here and clearly remember drawing and re-drawing hips or hands or feet (or facial expressions - angry or 'thousand yard stare' were the only ones I could pull off) trying to make it look correct, then having an apoplectic fit and giving up. Usually involving the crumbling of paper and/or breaking of pencils (fortunately, all cheap #2's as I never had 'drawing pencils' until long after I had given up hope.)

Moral of the story: Don't give up. :D

• 3 months later...