The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained herein)

megaplayboy

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

Lucius, I just read a Bestiary writeup for a monster who can induce miscarriage--it was written up as a 10d6 Major Transform(pregnant to non-pregnant). AIUI, a woman who is "fertile" has a roughly 20% chance of pregnancy, assuming missionary-position, full-release intercourse, and no immediate post-coital countermeasures. This is based upon being "ready" during about 1/5 of the month.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

Summon makes sense from a certain point of view, but it runs into the issue of maximum number of summonings and how long the summoned being lasts.

Transform makes sense, since it involves a status change, but it runs into one issue, which is that high-BODY females would be, in a sense, less fertile. One way around that would be to say that any fertile female has a 0-point Physical Complication that a fertilization Transform works against a smaller amount of BODY, like 8 or 10. If you do that, then a fertile male can be said to have a 4d6 Major all or nothing Transform with appropriate limitations. I chose four dice to drop the chances of fertilization down. No activation roll is needed, just a high enough roll on the dice. More fertile males could take bonus dice and pay points for them with appropriate limitations.

Happy Little Accident4d6 Major Transform(non-pregnant female to pregnant female), No Range, Extra Time(5 minutes), Usable 4x/day, All or Nothing(-1/2), 8 points(or free as an EveryGuy ability)

Bigger Accidentup to 6d6, 12 points

It's a baby!Summon 5 point Baby, specific being, Unlimited Duration(+2), Extra Time(9 months), usable 1x/year, requires precondition(impregnated via Happy Little Accident), 1 point

It seems kind of overkill to write up Pregnancy as a Power unless there is something special about it (takes a much shorter time' date=' can't be prevented with traditional contraception).[/quote']

Pretty much everything can be written up in Hero System terms, and it can be fun to do write-ups that conventional wisdom might say "you shouldn't do that." :)

Happy Little Accident4d6 Major Transform(non-pregnant female to pregnant female), No Range, Extra Time(5 minutes), Usable 4x/day, All or Nothing(-1/2), 8 points(or free as an EveryGuy ability)

Bigger Accidentup to 6d6, 12 points

It's a baby!Summon 5 point Baby, specific being, Unlimited Duration(+2), Extra Time(9 months), usable 1x/year, requires precondition(impregnated via Happy Little Accident), 1 point

Actually, in the case of science-fiction or fantasy settings, some races are inter-fertile and some aren't. If getting a woman pregnant is an Everyman ability, I suppose a Talent or power could show multi-species fertility, like that humans can breed with anyone, but dwarves and elves can't breed together.

Since Immunity to Pregnancy is a power already existing in the rules, I think the Transform should have an NND advantage of some kind, since otherwise Power Defense would render a woman as infertile as having a high BODY score.

It seems kind of overkill to write up Pregnancy as a Power unless there is something special about it (takes a much shorter time' date=' can't be prevented with traditional contraception).[/quote']

Star HERO actually DID write up a Towel. After all, no space traveler should be without one.

JG

Question:

Say Character X is going after Character Y. Character Y has at least one Complication making him or her resistant to Character X's advances (Religious Beliefs, Devoted to Spouse, etc.). But then Character X hits Y with a "willing slave" Transform. Does that override existing Psychological Complications, or conflict with them? (We already know that direct Mind Control has a +10 threshold modifier for a command that goes against existing Psychological Complications.)

The wording in both 5th Edition Ultimate Mentalist and the 6E1 wording for Transform indicate that such a Transform effectively imposes a new Complication, and as per those rules, I think it should count as requiring more BODY/EGO to change the target. In the rules, a Transform that grants new abilities or creates Complications requires more BODY at a rate of one-fifth the value of the new trait. Thus if "willing sex slave" (will do anything for your character, as long as it's sexual) is Common and Total, that's worth 20 points, or +4 to the EGO required to Transform. If it's "willing slave" (will do ANYthing for the character, sexual or otherwise) I'd say that's Very Common, Total, 25 pts. or +5 EGO.

That might make the power concept less out of hand, although it's a bit hard for it NOT to be out of hand. :D

JG

I actually tend to agree, I just did a quick take because Lucius broached the subject.

Question:

Say Character X is going after Character Y. Character Y has at least one Complication making him or her resistant to Character X's advances (Religious Beliefs, Devoted to Spouse, etc.). But then Character X hits Y with a "willing slave" Transform. Does that override existing Psychological Complications, or conflict with them? (We already know that direct Mind Control has a +10 threshold modifier for a command that goes against existing Psychological Complications.)

The wording in both 5th Edition Ultimate Mentalist and the 6E1 wording for Transform indicate that such a Transform effectively imposes a new Complication, and as per those rules, I think it should count as requiring more BODY/EGO to change the target. In the rules, a Transform that grants new abilities or creates Complications requires more BODY at a rate of one-fifth the value of the new trait. Thus if "willing sex slave" (will do anything for your character, as long as it's sexual) is Common and Total, that's worth 20 points, or +4 to the EGO required to Transform. If it's "willing slave" (will do ANYthing for the character, sexual or otherwise) I'd say that's Very Common, Total, 25 pts. or +5 EGO.

That might make the power concept less out of hand, although it's a bit hard for it NOT to be out of hand. :D

JG

I agree with your take, on it requiring extra points of effect, per the Psychic Surgery rules in APG 1. In genre(that is, any genre where this sort of thing occurs), it almost always tends to be highly effective. But one can reduce the dice of effect, requiring multiple attacks. One can also set the reversal condition as being more achievable(repeatedly mistreating the target, or forcing them to go against their former psych lims over and over, may tend to accelerate recovery). One can also substitute a long-term Mind Control at a lower level, if need be. I think there's a variety of ways to adjust downward(or upward).

Empathy and Emotion Control

Induce Lust/Love--15d6 Mind Control, Telepathic, Set Effects: Love X, Lust for X, Both(-1/2), 63 points

Stronger Induction--20d6, 84 points

Maximum Induction--30d6, 126 points

Mass Induction, AoE(+1), Line of Sight, 138/184/276 points

Amplify Lust/Love--15d6 Mind Control, Telepathic: Set Effects: Intensify love, lust or both, 63 points

Lasting Amplification--5d6 Major Transform(intensifies feelings of love/lust), ACV(OMCV/DMCV), AVAD(Mental Defense), Works vs. EGO not Body(+1/4), Partial Transform,Effects Inobvious to Target, Extra Time (5 minutes), 42 points

Redirect Lust/Love--5d6 Major Transform(Psych Lim--love/lust for X--changes to love/lust for Y), ACV, AVAD, Works vs. EGO, Partial Transform, Effects Inobvious to Target, Extra Time(5 minutes), 42 points

Protective Love--15d6 Mind Control, Telepathic, Set Effect: Protect Me(or X) from Harm, 47 points

Stronger Protection--20d6 Mind Control, 62 points

Mass Protection--AOE(+1), Line of Sight, 103/137 points

Paralyzing Lust--3d6 Entangle, DEF 3, ACV(OMCV/DMCV), Works vs. EGO not STR(+1), Effects Inobvious to Target, No Range, 55 points

Reduce Lust/Love --5d6 Major Transform(reduces feelings of love/lust), ACV(OMCV/DMCV), AVAD(Mental Defense), Works vs. EGO not Body(+1/4), Partial Transform,Effects Inobvious to Target, Extra Time (5 minutes), 42 points

Dream Lover--Version 1. 20d6 Mental Illusions, Extra Time(5 minutes), Target must be asleep(-1), Set Effect: Erotic Dream about Perfect Lover(-1), 20 points

Version 2. 20d6 Mental Illusions, Extra Time( 5 minutes), Set Effect: Person appears, to target, to be their "Dream Lover"(-1), 25 points

Empathic Sexual Healing--6d6 Simplified Healing, Requires Sexual Contact with target(-1), Extra Time(5 minutes, -2), 15 points

Stronger Healing--12d6 Healing, 30 points

Broader Healing--Regular Healing, any 4 characteristics(+1 1/2), 37/75 points

Group Healing--Add AoE( radius, +1), Line of Sight, Extra Time(1 day), 25/50 points

Pangs of Desire --4d6 Blast, AVAD(NND, no emotions or mental defense), ACV(OMCV/DMCV), Effects Inobvious to Target, 0 Endurance, Constant, 75 points

Weaker Pangs--2d6 Blast, 37 points

Deadly Pangs--1d6+1 RKA, AVAD, ACV, Inobvious Effects, Does Body, 0 END, Constant, 95 points

Forbidden Lust--20d6 Mind Control, Telepathic, Set Effects: Lust after inappropriate/abnormal person, animal or object(-1/2), 84 points

Enduring Lust--5d6 Major Transform(target acquires psych complication--Taboo Paraphilia/Fetish or Lusts After (family member, married person, member of same/opposite gender, etc.), ACV(OMCV/DMCV), AVAD(mental defense), Works vs. EGO not BODY, Partial Transform, Effects Inobvious to Target, Extra Time(5 minutes), 42 points

Star HERO actually DID write up a Towel. After all, no space traveler should be without one.

JG

Yeah but that's part of my point. Hero fans realize that sort of thing is just messing around but it also can put off "outsiders" either getting them to think you HAVE to write up basic toiletries, bodily functions and eating utensils in game terms (and pay points for them). I've run into the misconception allot but honestly and in haters that willfully spread it in a weird attempt to sabotage Hero's popularity.

Yeah but that's part of my point. Hero fans realize that sort of thing is just messing around but it also can put off "outsiders" either getting them to think you HAVE to write up basic toiletries' date=' bodily functions and eating utensils in game terms (and pay points for them). I've run into the misconception allot but honestly and in haters that willfully spread it in a weird attempt to sabotage Hero's popularity.[/quote']

Yeah I know, and I've often addressed that point elsewhere (e.g. my RPG.net review of the first 5th Edition Sidekick). So any such project would have to address just how much has to be covered in game mechanics. But I'd said in another review that if you're gonna have something like Pregnancy Control Life Support in The Ultimate Metamorph, you should try to leave that for something like Erotic HERO. ;)

JG

I agree with your take' date=' on it requiring extra points of effect, per the Psychic Surgery rules in APG 1. In genre(that is, any genre where this sort of thing occurs), it almost always tends to be highly effective. But one can reduce the dice of effect, requiring multiple attacks. One can also set the reversal condition as being more achievable(repeatedly mistreating the target, or forcing them to go against their former psych lims over and over, may tend to accelerate recovery). One can also substitute a long-term Mind Control at a lower level, if need be. I think there's a variety of ways to adjust downward(or upward).[/quote']

Usually on brainwashing-type Mind Controls you can use Telepathy at the subconscious level to discover or trigger the original personality and do it that way. Or, if you're Captain Kirk, try to provoke your blissed-out Vulcan First Officer into a rage that snaps him out of the effect, and hope he doesn't kill you in the process. :D

JG

In the case of a priestess of Ishtar, she could have a different sort of limited bonus, maybe one that only occurs when she is performing her temple duties in a place consecrated for such activities within the temple or just requiring a Faith roll.

Good thinking. My point, though, was that her religious calling would involve intimacy with large numbers of people and that therefore any Skills or Levels that only apply to a single person would possibly qualify for a Limitation, more so than a character who routinely couples with only a single monogamous partner.

The "potent male" power should have an Act. of 14 or 15-.

So we're clear, the Power I wrote up represents, basically, the capacity for an erection, which would be necessary but not sufficient for natural conception.

Fertile Female should have an Act. of 8- or 9-.

I believe I set it at 6 or less. In my understanding, the vast majority of incidents of coitus do NOT result in conception (thankfully.)

I don't think it's a summon' date=' though, I'd probably write that up as a major transform, taking extra time, with gradual effect, no range, all or nothing(though it would be odd for a female with a higher body stat to be less likely to get pregnant). Edit--upon reflection, the summon is probably the right way to go...though you have to hand-wave the tasks thing(one wonders what tasks the baby could be called upon to perform...)[/quote']

I may see it as a joke, but I DID check out the Summon Power while writing up this power. That's why the Summoned being is listed as "hostile" - it's not going to do any tasks without Mind Control, or Persuasion or bribery, extortion, etc.

Also, there is nothing I saw in the Summon Power that states that the Summonee MUST go away, ever. I'm sure a newborn would love to return whence it came, but it just doesn't have Extradimensional Movement (Back to the Womb.)

Thinking about it, I probably undervalued the Side Effect: Acquire DNPC too.

3. I'd think it'd make more sense, instead of taking levels only applicable with one partner, to just take KS:Specific Partner, and use it as a complementary skill to Perform.

Carnal Knowledge: Specific Person

I'm inclined to agree

On the one hand' date=' I agree that much of this material may go further than any GM or group likely intends to go. But a thing worth doing is a thing worth doing thoroughly. :)[/quote']

If I had a nickel for every Power or character I've ever posted, that I never really expected anyone to use....

Lucius Alexander

BTW' date=' I'd like to see a 6th edition Fembot.[/quote']

I'm sure I had one lying around here...I'll go look behind that palindromedary

Hmm, in-genre, there are curses and such put on pregnant women's children, and others that render women unable to conceive, make men "shoot blanks", etc. I do intend to cover the whole pregnancy powers weirdness under Body Manipulation. Impregnation, Acceleration of Pregnancy, Inducing Labor, Rapidly growing a fetus to adulthood, increasing the number of children, impregnating someone with your/their/someone else's clone, imbuing an unborn child with certain characteristics(blessed, infernal, faerie, mutant, etc.), and so forth.

RE: the chances of rolling to conceive on 3d6' date=' I refer to my post #58.

JG

I think you mean this post, which I'm still trying to figure out.

More technical detail on the reproductive process from my notes:

The ovulation process can take up to 36 hours.

A woman ovulates 14 days before getting a period.

An egg only lives 12 to 24 hours, thus intercourse after ovulation is usually too late.

Sperm can live up to 72 hours, thus intercourse up to three days before ovulation might still result in pregnancy.

Couples who had sex every day had a 25% chance of conceiving and those who had sex every other day had a 22% chance.

Sex once a week drops the chance of conception to 10%.

So....does that mean that if they have sex every day for a month, there is a 25% chance of pregnancy that month?

Or if they have sex every day for a year, there is a 25% chance of pregnancy that year?

Or what?

In any case, since in the statistics you quote the chance of pregnancy is linked to frequency of sex, I am quite certain none of them are saying "Any given sex act has X% chance of pregnancy."

On a 3d6 roll, the chances of rolling 8 or less are 25.93% (6E2 p. 280), and the chances of rolling 6 or less are 9.26%.

Pregnancy tests are not accurate until 1-2 weeks after ovulation.

Basal body temperature rises with ovulation / 18 consecutive days of elevated temperature usually confirms pregnancy.

25% of pregnancies are lost within the first six weeks of the woman's last menstrual period.

Am I correct in assuming that if it miscarries that early, the woman will likely not be aware that she was ever with child?

Oral contraceptives (birth control pills) usually work by suppressing ovulation.

By my write up, that would mean Suppressing 24 Active Points.

Lucius Alexander

Guess what the palindromedary found

I had some herbs lying around.

Pennyroyal: Minor Transform 2 1/2d6 (Pregnant woman into not pregnant woman; woman into menstruating woman) (13 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, To brew and drink tea; -2), 2 Boostable Charges (-1 1/4), No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (Just Say No) (Although force or trickery are possible, it can normally only be used on the willing; -1/2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act (taking more than 2 doses per day, or taking more than 5 days straight), Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; Some side effects possible even with normal use; overdose can be fatal. Side effects include vomiting, abdominal pain, excessive bleeding, diarrhea and delirium; -1/2), IIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Not normally used in combat, so full OAF bonus not appropriate, but it's an herbal tea; -1/4) Real Cost: 2

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary reports that a 6th edition fembot has been located but it's not in a finished state yet

Okay, finished the Empathy/Emotion Control power set. 7 or 8 more sets to go(sigh, that's a lot...), plus over 40 more character writeups. That's enough material to push the thread into 500+ post territory. I think, once we get the writeups out of our system, we should go back to the basics and talk about the plotting and roleplaying aspects of romance(attraction, flirtation, seduction, dating, relationships, sex, marriage, pregnancy, breakups, adultery, divorce, alternate lifestyles, etc.).

Hentamari Slave Cloning(and Personal Reproduction)--Duplication(up to 500 325 point duplicates(110 base points), Usable as Attack(+1 1/4), Extra Time(1 day)(-4), Process Requirement--must fertilize, extract and grow "eggs" to maturity(can be disrupted throughout)(-2), (247 active points), 35 points

This is a pretty freaky ability--the Hentamari slave trainer extends a tentacle into the womb/fallopian tubes of the female humanoid slave to be "cloned"(or to be fertilized with the trainer's own genetic material). They then fertilize hundreds of the eggs in the woman's body(a pubescent girl has 300,000, older women still have tens of thousands), extract them once they begin to grow(they probably look like fish eggs), and their other tentacles spray a nutrient rich material over them as the eggs grow and develop. The clones grow to maturity inside the eggs, and emerge fully formed, with the memories, abilities and conditioning of the slave(or as a "fresh" clone hentamari). Essentially this enables the slave trainer to make multiple "copies" of slaves who happen to be in high demand. The process can only be repeated for each female about once a month. Generally it is preferred to use the original for the process, out of concerns about genetic corruption through "copying" of clones.

I think you mean this post, which I'm still trying to figure out.

So....does that mean that if they have sex every day for a month, there is a 25% chance of pregnancy that month?

Or if they have sex every day for a year, there is a 25% chance of pregnancy that year?

Or what?

In any case, since in the statistics you quote the chance of pregnancy is linked to frequency of sex, I am quite certain none of them are saying "Any given sex act has X% chance of pregnancy."

Again, the text (can't remember where I got it, I think it was Wikipedia) means that the frequency of sex increases the chances of conception with a given couple. I'd roll once a month for couples in a relationship who are either trying to conceive or just not using contraception. The 6- would be a "one-night stand" or other encounter.

Am I correct in assuming that if it miscarries that early, the woman will likely not be aware that she was ever with child?

That's often been the case. Such miscarriages are sometimes mistaken for problems with the menstrual cycle.

By my write up, (oral contraception) would mean Suppressing 24 Active Points.

Well, we also have the 5 pt. Life Support Power. In this case, IIF, 1 Fuel Charge lasting 1 Day (comes in a monthly pack, but a woman has to take the Pill every day to ensure effectiveness), etc.

JG

Body Manipulation Powers (self/others)

spoilered because one or two abilities might be considered offensive

Alter Appearance(self)--Shapeshift(sight, hearing, touch, smell/taste), any humanoid shape, Imitation, Instant Change, Makeover, Costs Endurance to Activate, 56 points

Complete Alteration--add Any Shape(+5 points), mental and radio(+4 points), Cellular(+10 points), 0 Endurance Cost, Persistent(+1/4), 112 points

Alter Others' Appearance(cosmetic): 10d6 Cosmetic Transform, limited group(+1/4), 37 points(with Extra Time: 5 minutes, 12 points)

Alter Others' Appearance(minor): 5d6 Minor Transform, limited group, partial transform, 43 points(with ET:5 minutes, 14 points)

Alter Others' Appearance(major): 5d6 Major Transform, limited group, partial transform, 86 points(with ET: 5 minutes, 28 points)

Alter Others' Appearance(severe): 5d6 Severe Transform, limited group, partial transform, 129 points(with ET: 5 minutes, 43 points)

Mass Alteration: Add AoE(+1), Line of sight: 82/80/161/241 points(with ET: 5 minutes, 27/26/53/80)

Raise/Lower Attractiveness: Version 1. 5d6 Aid to Striking Appearance(SE: +5 levels), Fade Rate 5 points/hour, 0 Endurance, Extra Time: 5 minutes, 42 points

Version 2. 3d6 Drain vs. Striking Appearance AND Presence(+1/2), Fade Rate 5 points/hour, 0 Endurance, No Range, 60 points

Mass Increase/Decrease: Add AoE(+1), Line of sight, 67/90 points

Just How You Like Em: +20 to Charm rolls, costs Endurance to activate, Usable by Other, 40 points

There's Lots to Like: +20 to Charm rolls, Usable by up to 128 recipients, Extra Time(5 minutes), 40 points

Amplify/Reduce Body Part Size: 5d6 Major Transform(can add or subtract levels of limited SA, a few stat points, etc.), Partial Transform, Effects Inobvious to Target, limited group(+1/4), 112(with ET: 5 minutes, 37 points)

Mass Amplify/Reduce: Add AoE(+1), Line of Sight, 187/62 points

Big Daddy--+3 Striking Appearance, limited group, +3 to PS: Perform Sexual Technique, only for intercourse;+2 meters stretching, only with phallus(-1); Extra Limb, limited manipulation(-1/4); +15 Presence, offensive only(-1); Costs Endurance to Activate(-1/4), 17 points

(Note: technically, this ability could be used to create more than one mega-phallus)

Impregnate--12d6 Major Transform(non-pregnant female to pregnant female), limited group(humanoid females, -1/2), All or Nothing(-1/2), No Range(-1/2), Extra Time(5 minutes)(-2), x 1.5 End cost, 24 points

Mass Impregnate--Add AoE(+1), Line of Sight, 60 points

Accelerate Pregnancy--5d6 Major Transform(pregnancy advances more rapidly), Partial Transform(one time step per level), limited group(pregnant humanoid females, -3/4), Extra time(5 minutes), 20 points

Mass Acceleration--Add AoE, Line of Sight, 40 points

Grow to Adulthood--5d6 Severe Transform(baby to adult), Partial Transform(1d6+1 years per level), limited group(humanoid babies, -3/4), Extra time(5 minutes), 30 points

Mass Growth--Add AoE, Line of Sight, 60 points

Induce Labor--15d6 Mind Control, Telepathic, based on CON, Set Effect: Have your baby NOW!, Extra Time(5 minutes), 21 points

Rapid Delivery--15d6 major transform(pregnant to non-pregnant), Extra Time(5 minutes), limited group(pregnant humanoid females, -3/4), 40 points

Mass Labor--add AoE(+1), Line of Sight, 46/100 points

Alter Gender--10d6 Minor Transform(change gender of target), All or Nothing, 33 points

Mass Gender Bender--add AoE, Line of Sight, 83 points

Futanari--+10 PRE, offensive only, +3 with PS: perform Sexual Technique, only with intercourse(-1/2), Costs Endurance to activate(-1/4), 6 points

Futanarization--add Usable as Attack, Ranged, 18 points

Mass Futa--AoE, Line of Sight, 25 points