The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained herein)

megaplayboy

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

There was already a variant of Combat Luck in The Valdorian Age that didn't work if you were sufficiently encumbered, so that could also mean clothed.

I believe I've previously referred to the "Distracting Costume" in 5th Edition Gadgets & Gear..

JG

Those also sound promising. Thanx.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

There was already a variant of Combat Luck in The Valdorian Age that didn't work if you were sufficiently encumbered, so that could also mean clothed.

I believe I've previously referred to the "Distracting Costume" in 5th Edition Gadgets & Gear..

JG

IIRC, Distracting Costume was additional Pre limited to making appropriate targets delay their actions due to your... daring clothing choice.

Or that's one version of it, at least.

• 2 months later...

This thread quietly faded off, so I am bumping it back up.

I am patiently waiting to see more of the writeups that megaplayboy had in his queue to do to follow up the excellent ones he had done so far. I hope he did not lose interest in doing them.

This thread quietly faded off, so I am bumping it back up.

I am patiently waiting to see more of the writeups that megaplayboy had in his queue to do to follow up the excellent ones he had done so far. I hope he did not lose interest in doing them.

Oh, no, not lack of interest! I've had a distinct lack of free time! Between all the good(and bad) stuff going on in my life. But I plan to write more of this stuff very soon. Thanks for the reminder :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Exactly what would that mean? The superhero can't consummate relationships with mundanes because... of hypervelocity semen?

JG

As I recall from reading the original Larry Niven article, even the involuntary muscle contractions of male climax could conceivably be fatal for a non-supertough female(or male) companion. One of my writeups in this very thread involves a super-clone whose first pubescent explorations led to the simultaneous impregnation of thousands of nearby(and not so nearby) women. If you want a tongue-in-cheek explanation for "where did all these superbeings suddenly come from", it's as good as any other. ;)

As I recall from reading the original Larry Niven article' date=' even the involuntary muscle contractions of male climax could conceivably be fatal for a non-supertough female(or male) companion. One of my writeups in this very thread involves a super-clone whose first pubescent explorations led to the simultaneous impregnation of thousands of nearby(and not so nearby) women. If you want a tongue-in-cheek explanation for "where did all these superbeings suddenly come from", it's as good as any other. ;)[/quote']

See the cut scene from Hancock for another example

Exactly what would that mean? The superhero can't consummate relationships with mundanes because... of hypervelocity semen?

JG

I'd read it as short hand for "Character cannot have intimate relationships with a non superhuman/appropriately tough being" without risking dangerous perhaps lethal consequences. Which might mean its not worth much if anything as a Disadvantage in many styles of campaign (though in those might be an assumed part of another Disadvantage like Crushing Grip).

It's worth a fair amount in a campaign where social interaction is really important and prominent in the game. If the game is mostly just shuttling between the investigative scene and the battlefield, it's not worth much at all and is probably just a little bit of flavor or window dressing.

It's worth a fair amount in a campaign where social interaction is really important and prominent in the game. If the game is mostly just shuttling between the investigative scene and the battlefield' date=' it's not worth much at all and is probably just a little bit of flavor or window dressing.[/quote']

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I said many campaign styles not all campaign style. It might not be worth much even in a social but "PG rated" game were romance occurs but sexuality is an off screen matter entirely and never really comes up beyond a romantic kiss (maybe). IME, most role playing campaigns fall into the sorts where the inability to have sex wouldn't be an issue or would be, at best, window dressing.

I'd read it as short hand for "Character cannot have intimate relationships with a non superhuman/appropriately tough being" without risking dangerous perhaps lethal consequences. Which might mean its not worth much if anything as a Disadvantage in many styles of campaign (though in those might be an assumed part of another Disadvantage like Crushing Grip).

Now THAT's what you call a hand job. :eg:

JG

Since bondage and other kinky stuff has been brought up in this thread' date=' how would you build a chastity belt in Hero? (5th Edition stats preferred, but I shouldn't have too much trouble reverse engineering 6th if need be).[/quote']

Here's a write up for 6th edition, useful for a female character who wants to prevent her own forcible violation.

Chastity Belt: (Total: 13 Active Cost, 2 Real Cost) Change Environment (-2 Lockpicking Skill Roll), Persistent (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (13 Active Points); OAF (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), No Range (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Limited Power Only to prevent coital penetration (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Device (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

Note on the design: A Focus is what you need to activate a Power, and during the moments she is putting it on and locking it, the belt is an Obvious and Accessible Focus. Once locked on, it is the Special Effect of a Persistant, Uncontrolled Power; the way to stop the Uncontrolled Power is to break it, pick the lock, or of course if she gives you the key. It's defined as Accessible because you can grab it away if you catch her putting it on, but obviously not if it's already in place.

More effective versions cost more points:

-3 to Lockpick is 4 pts

-4: 5

-5: 6

-6: 8

If you're in a game in which female characters feel a need to spend over 8 pts on rape prevention measures, even I might start to wonder what kind of game you're playing....

Then again, it just struck me that I may be making a sexist assumption. There are male chastity devices too.

edit:

Probably similar to handcuffs, as an Entangle or Barrier only versus a certain area. :eg:

JG

Barrier might be a good basis too.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is a little unclear on the matter

The Entangle idea sounds good' date=' though what would be a fair value for the Set Effect (genitals only) Limitation? -1? -2?[/quote']

I think Set Effect for handcuffs is only -1/2. It really depends on how much you wanna use your genitals. :eg:

JG