The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained herein)

megaplayboy

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

6. I'd represent this as simply a bonus to resist Charm attempts, from +1 to +5, but probably no higher than +5. Though, if you wanted a character who was nearly impossible to seduce, I suppose +10 would be one way to do it.

6E1, p. 144, sidebar, Other "Resistances"

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

4) Foreplay: From first kiss to third base, here a skill at PS: Perform Sexual Techniques (not sure what untrained level would be, maybe 6- or assumed everyman 8- familiarity) begins being used. More Charm gets applied to overcome any resistance.

5) Intercourse: Use above PS here, maybe assisted by Contortionist and Double-Jointed.

Whether it's an Everyman Skill (or Everywoman for that matter) depends on setting, and even on character type.

For example, for a Champions character, probably a roll of <=8 is appropriate.

For a TEEN Champions character, maybe not. Even if the character is sexually active, they are probably not very experienced.

Champions character who's a not very humanoid alien - probably not, even if we assume, say, that it's a shapeshifter who can take human form and is "curious" (explaining why the alien is in a position where this matters...)

........unless it's been masquarading as human for some time, or the background specifies that it's done this sort of thing before.

In any case, I really don't like the name "Perform Sexual Technique."

How about

PS: Masterful Moves

STR based Skill representing a forceful and usually aggressive approach; less aggressively it can represent playful struggling or pretended resistance that actually cooperates in manuevering into desired positions.

PS: Deft Touch

DEX based Skill representing an ability to touch exactly the right spots in exactly the right way to arouse, tease, or overwhelm with pleasure.

PS: Sexual Stamina

CON based Skill useful to stretch out the pleasure and make it last; in men, usually means the ability to retain the state of readiness over time, and in women may mean a capacity to enjoy successive peak experiences or to endure an extended ride passively or even to actively provide stimulation and pleasure for an unusual length of time.

PS: Perceptive Paramour

INT based Skill representing a keen awareness of cues ranging from straightforward verbal declarations to subtle tremors or twitches that guide the character's words and actions towards obtaining an optimum experience.

PS: Empathic Communion

EGO based Skill, possibly restricted to characters with Mental Awareness or Mental Powers, that enables the sharing of one's arousal and enjoyment.

PS: Intimate Arts

PRE based Skill that extends such Interaction Skills as Conversaton and Charm into more intimate and often less verbal situations involving the exchange of pleasure or the expression of affection.

And one Complementary Skill to help them all

KS: Carnal Knowledge

Lucius Alexander

PS: Palindromedary Rider -can you think of a situation in which it would be complementary?

5) Intercourse: Use above PS here, maybe assisted by Contortionist and Double-Jointed.

PS:Perform Sexual Techniques is fine, but I wouldn't undersell the value Charm, Persuasion, Acting, Conversation and even Presence "attacks" in intercourse. Given a choice between having the best physical sex of their lives and the best emotional sex* of their lives, I'm pretty sure that most woman and a lot of men would choose the best emotional sex.

* - I'm defining this as sex that leaves you feeling great about yourself, your partner and the relationship which you share.

5. I think I'd extrapolate from the "character not normally attracted to members of user's gender", and say what you're talking about could be a -1 or -2 penalty, maybe even -3 depending on how far the user is from what the target is normally attracted to. I wouldn't go higher than -3 though(that's the same penalty as going against a total commitment psych lim)

A lot of people do have a total psych limitations concerning homosexuality and in addition to that have no physical interest in members of their own sex. So in effect they have both a psych and a physical limitation working against same sex seduction. I don't consider a -5 or even -6 penalty against such attempts unreasonable versus such people.

A lot of people do have a total psych limitations concerning homosexuality and in addition to that have no physical interest in members of their own sex. So in effect they have both a psych and a physical limitation working against same sex seduction. I don't consider a -5 or even -6 penalty against such attempts unreasonable versus such people.

Oh, I think you may have misread that response. Earlier I said the book suggests -3 or more for same-sex-seduction against non-HS/BS targets. What I was extrapolating here was the penalty for someone who simply isn't the target's preferred "type"(e.g. blonde instead of brunette), not male instead of female.

Whether it's an Everyman Skill (or Everywoman for that matter) depends on setting, and even on character type.

For example, for a Champions character, probably a roll of <=8 is appropriate.

For a TEEN Champions character, maybe not. Even if the character is sexually active, they are probably not very experienced.

Champions character who's a not very humanoid alien - probably not, even if we assume, say, that it's a shapeshifter who can take human form and is "curious" (explaining why the alien is in a position where this matters...)

........unless it's been masquarading as human for some time, or the background specifies that it's done this sort of thing before.

In any case, I really don't like the name "Perform Sexual Technique."

How about

PS: Masterful Moves

STR based Skill representing a forceful and usually aggressive approach; less aggressively it can represent playful struggling or pretended resistance that actually cooperates in manuevering into desired positions.

PS: Deft Touch

DEX based Skill representing an ability to touch exactly the right spots in exactly the right way to arouse, tease, or overwhelm with pleasure.

PS: Sexual Stamina

CON based Skill useful to stretch out the pleasure and make it last; in men, usually means the ability to retain the state of readiness over time, and in women may mean a capacity to enjoy successive peak experiences or to endure an extended ride passively or even to actively provide stimulation and pleasure for an unusual length of time.

PS: Perceptive Paramour

INT based Skill representing a keen awareness of cues ranging from straightforward verbal declarations to subtle tremors or twitches that guide the character's words and actions towards obtaining an optimum experience.

PS: Empathic Communion

EGO based Skill, possibly restricted to characters with Mental Awareness or Mental Powers, that enables the sharing of one's arousal and enjoyment.

PS: Intimate Arts

PRE based Skill that extends such Interaction Skills as Conversaton and Charm into more intimate and often less verbal situations involving the exchange of pleasure or the expression of affection.

And one Complementary Skill to help them all

KS: Carnal Knowledge

Lucius Alexander

PS: Palindromedary Rider -can you think of a situation in which it would be complementary?

I like the different skill options you wrote. A master at sexual techniques would probably take many (or all) of them, maybe with Jack Of All Trades to bring down the cost. I wonder if PS: Cassanova could be considered a skill for a master seducer?

Or PS: Megaplayboy? :)

Since we are talking dramatic fiction, I tend to agree that an 8- everyman skill is acceptable when we are talking adults. Maybe the inexperienced could take a 0-point Physical Complication: Virgin to show a lack of ability in this area. A question arises if, taking the list of skills given above as options, a character has to choose one as their version of the everyman skill for carnal intimacy.

Well, keep in mind that having a willing, enthusiastic partner, setting the mood properly, taking extra time and asking the right questions would all likely improve the odds of success, even for an inexperienced lover.

Well' date=' keep in mind that having a willing, enthusiastic partner, setting the mood properly, taking extra time and asking the right questions would all likely improve the odds of success, even for an inexperienced lover.[/quote']

I agree. Some game mechanics questions arise when we are talking skill usage though.

1) What is the base time for a PS: Carnal Intimacy skill check? 20 minutes? An hour?

2) What bonuses or penalties might there be for mood music, setting or even eagerness of the partner?

Is Barry White playing in the background a +10 bonus? :)

A question arises if' date=' taking the list of skills given above as options, a character has to choose one as their version of the everyman skill for carnal intimacy.[/quote']

I wouldn't think so.

Possibly it should be regarded as a "dividable" skill like Survival or Driving or other skills with specializations. Familiarity is a basic familiarity with all, buying a full skill includes familiarity with all (or at least the common ones - don't think I'm done dreaming up skills like this) and expanding the skill costs one point for each specialization.

Of course, it also depends on how easy (cheap) you want it to be to become a Master of the Erotic Arts.

I wish to reiterate a position I've expressed before (years ago I think) during a similar (if less in depth) discussion:

If you have only ONE skill of this type, it should be PRE based. All the Interaction skills are based on PREsence, and what we are talking about is basically interaction.

Well' date=' keep in mind that having a willing, enthusiastic partner, setting the mood properly, taking extra time and asking the right questions would all likely improve the odds of success, even for an inexperienced lover.[/quote']

If I'm not mistaken, such situational modifiers are allowed to apply to a Familiarity, and if they aren't they should be.

The question arises, though - how likely is an inexperiened lover to know how to set the mood properly, ask the right questions, etc?

Lucius Alexander

The confused palindromedary ask what's this about a barrow wight?

I agree. Some game mechanics questions arise when we are talking skill usage though.

1) What is the base time for a PS: Carnal Intimacy skill check? 20 minutes? An hour?

2) What bonuses or penalties might there be for mood music, setting or even eagerness of the partner?

Is Barry White playing in the background a +10 bonus? :)

I believe having favorable circumstances for skill use is in the range of +1 to +5(spending one's honeymoon in Paris, e.g.), and having the "right equipment"(no jokes please--music, flowers, champagne, chocolate strawberries) is in the same range. I think, based on the bonuses/penalties for psych lims, that +1 to +3 is the right bonus range for the enthusiasm level of one's partner. Alternatively, if one has made a successful Charm roll, you could use the amount by which the target blew their roll, to reflect their enthusiasm level.

Base Time for an intimate encounter should be in the ballpark of 20 minutes to an hour. I think it'd depend on the totality of the circumstances. If you put a gun to my head, I'd suggest 20-30 minutes. 5 minutes is clearly too short, and a huge number of couples wind up spending considerably less than an hour at it. OTOH, if one is performing a specific intimate act, the base time for that could be fairly short, on the order of 5-20 minutes.

Some couples enjoy a "quickie" in about five-ten minutes time, so I guess some limited skill levels to offset time modifiers could be allowed.

A character could also take a targeted Change Environment as Lucius suggested in the thread on heightened libido. I would propose that it could be a type of super-skill to get your target all hot and bothered, hormones sizzling and popping, etc. Perhaps a PS like Carnal Intimacy or one of the ones that Lucius suggested could be the requisite skill.

Hmm, I suppose even a PS: Kissing would work. That skill might be good for teenage characters that aren't otherwise more sexually active.

Of course, if we are talking a couple of speedsters in the speed zone together, a quickie could be done in a moment or two. ;)

Some couples enjoy a "quickie" in about five-ten minutes time, so I guess some limited skill levels to offset time modifiers could be allowed.

A character could also take a targeted Change Environment as Lucius suggested in the thread on heightened libido. I would propose that it could be a type of super-skill to get your target all hot and bothered, hormones sizzling and popping, etc. Perhaps a PS like Carnal Intimacy or one of the ones that Lucius suggested could be the requisite skill.

Hmm, I suppose even a PS: Kissing would work. That skill might be good for teenage characters that aren't otherwise more sexually active.

Of course, if we are talking a couple of speedsters in the speed zone together, a quickie could be done in a moment or two. ;)

Actually, I had that in mind as an Area Effect. And did two versions, one lowering libido levels.

Something for the fertility priest to get the spring festival started, or with Megascale and negative levels the effect of Demeter when mourning for Persephone.

Actually, though, I was thinking in terms of a mad scientist with a device that enhances or suppresses orgone energy (or appropriate technobabble) using it just to observe and record reactions. "Interesting reaction.....but what does it MEAN?"

Lucius Alexander

No effect on a palindromedary

Actually, I had that in mind as an Area Effect. And did two versions, one lowering libido levels.

Something for the fertility priest to get the spring festival started, or with Megascale and negative levels the effect of Demeter when mourning for Persephone.

Actually, though, I was thinking in terms of a mad scientist with a device that enhances or suppresses orgone energy (or appropriate technobabble) using it just to observe and record reactions. "Interesting reaction.....but what does it MEAN?"

Lucius Alexander

No effect on a palindromedary

I understand that you meant it as an area effect ability, but a targeted version could be used. It might also be done as a mind control effect, but I don't know if sexual arousal is a legitimate mind control effect. I'm not talking necessarily lust, but an increase in hormones and brain chemicals that results in sexual arousal. Change environment seems like it works here, but it would also require listing out levels of arousal.

Well, I guess we can try both reasoning from effect, and also reasoning from cost of doing it "the hard way". The effect of raising or lowering libido levels is dependent on what libido is/does. If libido is a measure of sexual desire and sexual arousal, then raising or lowering it would increase or decrease both general sexual interest and current sexual urges. Here it gets a little tricky, because libido is arguably both a state of mind and a physical state of being. If one is aroused, one is both thinking sexy thoughts, and feeling sexual urges in a physical way. I think that takes us back to the "usual suspects" in terms of using powers to model it--Transform, Change Environment, Mind Control, Mental Illusions.

Now we shift to reasoning from cost. Mind Control, as I've mentioned before, has multiple gradations of effect levels, from base EGO(target will do or believe something they're inclined to anyway) to EGO+40(target will do or believe something that contradicts total commitment psych lims). A well-worded command can reduce the required threshold by 5, and a poorly-worded command can increase it by 5. Ergo, if we were creating a increase/decrease Libido Mind Control, we could likely measure it in increments of 5, from EGO-5 all the way up to EGO+45. That's 11 increments. For an "average" mind, applying Standard Effect, we'd get around 18d6 of Mind Control required to achieve the maximum increase/decrease. If we're modeling it using Transform, before applying advantages, you'd need about 6d6 worth, which could mean a cost anywhere between 18 and 90 points, depending on whether altering libido is a cosmetic, minor, major, or severe Transform. Also note that Partial Transform would give you some granularity in the effect, though not as much as Mind Control would.

For Change Environment, it looks like you'd need to model the same 10-12 levels of effect. So raising/lowering libido by a couple levels is roughly equivalent to getting a successful EGO+0 result on MC: raise/lower libido. If you halved it, then perhaps the ability could be a little bit cheaper. But somewhere in the 30-90 active point range sounds about right for the ability to take someone from "0-100" or from "100-0" in a matter of seconds.

In looking at levels of arousal or libido, I'm inclined to view them as physical effects that can affect a target's mental status. If someone isn't hungry, they usually don't think about food much. But if you somehow alter them physically to a state of being hungry, their thoughts will be affected in turn.

I propose that raising libido levels would be similar to causing a target to be physically hungry. It's a basic biological drive in organic, sexual beings.

Yes, you could make a target into a glutton by mind controlling them into it, but if we're talking about stimulating the biological urges associated with sexual arousal, then that strikes me as a physical effect.

In looking at levels of arousal or libido, I'm inclined to view them as physical effects that can affect a target's mental status. If someone isn't hungry, they usually don't think about food much. But if you somehow alter them physically to a state of being hungry, their thoughts will be affected in turn.

I propose that raising libido levels would be similar to causing a target to be physically hungry. It's a basic biological drive in organic, sexual beings.

Yes, you could make a target into a glutton by mind controlling them into it, but if we're talking about stimulating the biological urges associated with sexual arousal, then that strikes me as a physical effect.

Then you're looking at a Transform or Change Environment. Or possibly MC vs. CON.

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: sexual content in Hero System discussed he

[bold emphasis is mine]

3. When posting to this thread, please avoid the use of explicit sexual verbiage or imagery("no pics" and "no f-bombs" should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway). Descriptions of skills or abilities or mechanics related to erotic/romantic/sexual matters should make use of clinical terms where necessary and suggestive innuendo(just enough to get the point across) otherwise.

Darth Nuendo...

Then you're looking at a Transform or Change Environment. Or possibly MC vs. CON.

For a short-term effect, I think if we use Change Environment, the effect might best be modeled as a minus to Ego rolls, only versus being able to resist giving into sexual desires. As the desires become more insistent, they become more difficult to resist. Could Change Environment be done as a cumulative effect? I don't have my books handy and can't recall.

"Female Control over First Sexual Intercourse in Brazil"

[[from: "Female Control over First Sexual Intercourse in Brazil" by Ann Marie Moore.]]

“Brazil is an erotic paradise for whom?”

[[Sexual Agency is a ...]] “sense of entitlement and ability to advocate for oneself and one’s needs. Agency implies taking a proactive stance in attempting to shape one’s circumstances.” (Phillips)

Sexual agency, then, is a woman’s subjective sense of her right to control her body. It is influenced by a woman’s gender expectations, personal experiences, and sense of entitlement. It is not grounded in the state or in laws; it is constructed as a broader social claim (Petchesky).

I treat sexual agency, defined as possessing the ability to have one’s sexual needs met either in singular situations or more broadly over the life course, as a universal human right.

1. A lack of agency leaves females vulnerable to unwanted sex. I expect there to be an inverse relationship between the amount of agency a female possesses and the probability that she has an unwanted sexual experience.

2. A female is much more likely to experience a wanted sexual intercourse at sexual debut if the female acts agentically. The probability of a male orchestrating sexual intercourse at the correct time, place and in an acceptable manner without any feedback from the female is very slim.

3. From a rights perspective, the most important gauge of a sexual interaction is whether the sexual experience is wanted. Any instance of sexual intercourse that occurs when it is unwanted by the female is a violation of her sexual and human rights and her physical autonomy.

4. Prerequisites to expressing sexual agency are feeling entitled to (a) decide what happens to one’s body and (B) protect oneself from unwanted sexual health outcomes. Possessing sexual information helps females express agency since they are in a more powerful position to anticipate sexual behavior and act accordingly so as to avoid unwanted sexual intercourse.

[[a Sexual Agent is a ...]] “self-motivated sexual actor” (Tolman)

Some of the choices to be made as a sexual agent are deciding to have sexual intercourse, not to have sexual intercourse, to have protected sexual intercourse, to have sexual experiences that have nothing to do with sexual intercourse, or not to act on sexual feelings at all.

[[Sexual Control]]

"To the extent that we believe that adolescent sexuality is under control, it is adolescent girls whom we hold responsible, because we do not believe boys can or will be. We are left with a circuitous argument that fails to include the reality or importance of female adolescents’ own sexuality: Boys will be boys ergo sexuality is dangerous for girls. Our impulse to keep girls safe by keeping them under control seems so necessary that the cost of denying them the right to live fully in their own bodies appears unavoidable" (Tolman).

Consequently, females are not taught how to consent to sexual intercourse. Sex occurs when the female stops saying “no.” It is easy to see that on a scale of consent, there is a great distance between not saying “no” and saying ”yes.”

"Young women are simultaneously taught to solicit and feel flattered by male sexual attention, to protect themselves against it, and to control men so that they do not express it. They are told that any self-respecting woman would ‘just leave’ at the first sign that a man is dominating or aggressive. Yet they are taught to ‘stand by their men,’ and they are bombarded with movies, television, women’s magazines, advertisements, and romance novels in which ‘normal’ passion and romance involve coercion, domination, and physical force. Yet they are encouraged to aspire to objectified images of women in which they are more sexual or nurturant [sic] commodities than active agents in their own personal and sexual development." (Phillips)

[[Sexual Negotiation]]

In a male-oriented sexual sphere that privileges male needs, desires, and interests, the extent to which females are able to negotiate is indicative of whether they are getting their needs met in the sexual interaction. Analyzing females’ efforts at negotiation brings to the fore females’ ability to control the sexual interaction.

While sexual negotiation can occur around any part of the sexual interaction, I limit my treatment here to an analysis of sexual intercourse avoidance.

Ways to Avoid Sexual Intercourse:

1) crying

2) feigning a headache

3) feigning menstruation

5) feigning sexual experience: "You are not my first."

4) (non-verbal) remove the roving hands

6) (authentic) be unwilling to legitimate the pressure exerted upon you:

"I don’t feel like it. End of story."

"Whose criteria is it that you want me to follow? Yours or mine?"

"You’re going to be angry? Well, stay there with your anger, ciao."

7) (authentic) dismiss him as a man who was not respectful:

"Men, there are some who are respectful and others who are not."

8) (authentic) tolerate a sexually unfaithful partner

Saying “no” in order to rid oneself of an unwanted boyfriend only works within the cultural dynamic where males are expected to need sex.

[[Sexual Coercion]]

Males do not intend to act coercively—they are simply living out a sexual script.

I believe that the majority of males are not out to sexually coerce their female partner into an act of unwanted sexual intercourse and that they would be shocked were they to hear the stories of distress and pain that females tell of experiencing sexual coercion. Therefore, bringing males into the educational process is vital not only so that they understand the implications of their actions but also in the hopes that they will consequently reject the role of compulsive sexual voracity into which they were socialized.

[[Sexual Scripts]]

THE CONSTANTLY SEXUAL MALE

• The sexually experienced male: "sexually active earlier and with many partners."
  • The male need for sex: "expected to seek out sex"
  • The priapic male: "socially unable to say “no” to sex"

THE DEMURE AND ACCOMMODATING FEMALE

• Females’ bounded agency at sexual initiation: "do not initiate sexual intercourse"
  • Females’ token resistance to sexual intercourse: "a refusal & an invitation to seduction"
  • Meninas para namorar ou meninas para casar [Girls to date or girls to marry]: "Mother or prostitute?"

[[Sexual EGO]]

I believe women should settle for nothing less than complete sexual empowerment defined as not engaging in [unwanted] sexual activity; not engaging in sexual activity without informed consent; getting men to consent to safer sex practices; negotiating sexual practices which are pleasurable to women as well as to men; exploring sexuality independently; and developing an independent sexual ego.

~ Mister E ("Allow me to satisfy your sexual needs by not having sex with you.")[ATTACH=CONFIG]40141[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40141[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40141[/ATTACH]

I think the modern feminist position endorses the principle of enthusiastic consent--that is, it's okay and normative for women to want sex and to not just agree to it, but ask for it. There certainly is a lot of cultural programming that purveys the POV that women are passive objects to be acted upon, and have value according to whether they have the "right" attitude towards sex(won't sleep with "just anyone, that's too slutty", won't refuse to sleep with "everyone, that's too bitchy", will be selective and not "put out" too easily, is bargaining her body for financial stability and emotional security). A man, under this POV, has reduced value when he lacks a certain degree of sexual aggression(i.e., if he is introverted), and some men respond to this blow to their self-esteem by becoming passive-aggressive "nice guys" who hang out waiting for a woman they're interested in to magically develop an interest in them, so they can "finally get laid". It's a big mess.

I would like to see some female participation in this thread. I know I've been largely writing up example abilities from a Hetero Male protagonist/antagonist perspective, but I think most of them could be readily adjusted/used by Hetero Female, Homosexual Male, Bisexual, Lesbian or Transgender characters against a variety of targets. Some of what Mr. E mentioned above makes me wonder how one would go about writing up an ability that would make a character extremely desirable without actually being considered coercive or unduly manipulative.