The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained herein)

megaplayboy

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

I would like to see some female participation in this thread.

This was the 100th post. So far, not a single post from a female point of view.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that mine is now the 101st post

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

Well, it's not necessarily easy to find this thread. One had to have been following the Heightened Libido thread(which itself did not get much female interest/participation), or to be wandering around the forums. I think, in terms of subject matter, romance/eroticism/sex is equally interesting to both genders, including in an RPG context. However, I think it's also easy, when only one gender is giving their "take" on the subject matter, to cross invisible lines that make the other gender tend to either lose interest or feel a bit put off/alienated. I don't think, to this point, we've posted anything that's too blatantly offensive(I could certainly be mistaken on this point), but I also think we haven't necessarily posted anything that would be specifically appealing to the interests of female gamers, whatever their orientation. If we have, I'd love to hear from someone about it.

I could suggest writing more about romance in Hero System, but that in itself would be stereotyping. My wife reads/watches as much erotica as I do. Now, the stuff she reads is written a bit differently than mine, but nonetheless it's pretty explicit. There are fictional genres specifically written to appeal to women--bishonen and reverse harem anime/manga, shows like BTVS, and so forth.

On the topic of gender stereotyping, I give you this:

A man has claimed that his wife was raped by an 'invisible man', Sin Chew Daily reported.

The youth, in his 20s, said his wife would remove her clothing, touch her own body and moan while sleeping at night, since a month ago.

He sought help from a medium, who then told him that someone had used black magic to take away the wife's 'soul' and rape her.

The couple, from Bintulu, Sarawak, lodged a police report but the cops could not do anything to arrest the 'invisible man'.

Empowering the Voices of Women: (Total: 131 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost)

Welcoming Atmosphere: Change Environment (Long-Lasting Permanent), Area Of Effect (1 2m Areas; +1/2), Fixed Shape: Thread (-1/4), MegaScale (1m = The Whole Thread; +1) (36 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1 1/4), No Range - Just One Thread (-1/2), Welcoming Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Required Multiple Users ([3-4] people already in the thread; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Incantations "Please come to http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/87220-The-quot-Essay-quot-(ESSE-UEH)-Project(Warning-mature-controversial-content-contained-herein)?p=2229204#post2229204 and give us the benefit of your point of view" (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity: Online Persona (-1/4)(Real Cost: 5)

plus

Inviting Participation: Summon 8 400-point Female Hero Gamers (95 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1 1/4), Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Already be a Member the Forum (-1/2), Strong-Willed, in my experience of women who game +4 on EGO Rolls (-1/2), Welcoming Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Required Multiple Users ([3-4] people already in the thread; -1/2), Antagonistic (Arrives under no control or compulsion) (-1/4), Incantations "Please come to http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/87220-The-quot-Essay-quot-(ESSE-UEH)-Project(Warning-mature-controversial-content-contained-herein)?p=2229204#post2229204 and give us the benefit of your point of view" (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity: Online Persona (-1/4) (Real Cost: 13)

Or I could just try Persuasion I suppose.....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if it needs "Transdimensional" to influence cyberspace

Getting back to the central topic, which seems to be the stages of intimate encounters that megaplayboy listed and abilties and skills involved at each stage, do you think regular partners should get any bonuses at different stages of the encounter?

Example: Glamor Girl and Manly Man have been dating regularly for a couple of years now. Each of them have two levels of 3-point Striking Appearance. Would their long-term relationship with each other add to the effect of their attractivness, or would familiarity lessen it?

If Manly Man is using Charm on Glamor Girl to get her to slip away with him, does their steady relationship improve his chances? After two years of him wooing her, would his charming ways lose effectiveness because she's heard him say similar things before?

Getting back to the central topic, which seems to be the stages of intimate encounters that megaplayboy listed and abilties and skills involved at each stage, do you think regular partners should get any bonuses at different stages of the encounter?

Example: Glamor Girl and Manly Man have been dating regularly for a couple of years now. Each of them have two levels of 3-point Striking Appearance. Would their long-term relationship with each other add to the effect of their attractivness, or would familiarity lessen it?

If Manly Man is using Charm on Glamor Girl to get her to slip away with him, does their steady relationship improve his chances? After two years of him wooing her, would his charming ways lose effectiveness because she's heard him say similar things before?

I think the prior results of his wooing would determine the effectiveness--if the charm has been accompanied by betrayal and disappointment, yes, it would certainly be less effective. If the charmer has been consistently fun, exciting and fulfilling, then arguably it should be more effective(that is, the task difficulty should be easier, not that there should be a bonus to the roll, unless the party has something like "in love with X").

One might suggest a "casual Presence" sort of effect with a couple who have known each other for a while--perhaps PRE bonuses are only half as effective, unless they're making a real effort at it(i.e., dressing up, looking sharp/sexy, etc.)

Perhaps we could try walking a relationship through the stages, thinking about ways to enhance each stage that megaplayboy suggested.

Let's start even before the very beginning stage, attraction. GG and MM haven't met yet. Both are single, sexually-attractive people, and each is open to exploring a new relationship. At a minimum, each has Charm, Conversation and two 3-point levels of Striking Appearance.

What abilities could they each use to find their next romantic partner?

"Your presence is required."

The following is a partial synthesis of Women's Studies (which is relatively advanced) & its antithesis, Men's Studies (a largely neglected [& somewhat cheeky] field of study). The point being an argument that, on certain utilitarian methodological levels, advancements in the study of women can be practically applied to the study of men w/ valid results (which is reasonable).

This is a marginally controversial notion as the domination of society by men can be considered a kind of taint in the mix, akin to Mad Scientists performing experiments on themselves. I however believe this to be merely problematic (i.e., something to keep in mind), and not a deal-breaker.

"Men act and women appear." (Susan Bordo)

Masculinity and the Male Body from the World of the Ancients to the World WideWeb:

https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xmlui/handle/1794/8044

Abstract:

... examines ideals of masculinity and the male body in ancient Greek art and literature, and in contemporary advertising and mass-media publications. Persistent themes concerning what is ideally masculine affect the way men perceive their bodies, and ultimately, themselves. I argue that such ideals are visible in the way men present their bodies and personal attributes to others in online public forums using photos, text, and other media. In order to discover how some men view their bodies and to observe the way in which they present them to others, this thesis will analyze existing photos and written texts posted on an online public website, MySpace.com. The large and diverse membership of MySpace.com makes it an excellent place to observe ideals of masculinity and the male body operating in individual men at the vernacular level.

Sample: The distinction between penis as bodily organ, and phallus as instrument of power:

Ancient Greece(when men penetrated reality with their whole body)

"On many occasions, however, male and female bodies are distinguishable

only by the presence or absence of breasts and the external genitals."

"Disproportionately large genitals were the hallmark of "ugly" and ''uncivilized,'' as

comedic depictions of satyrs illustrate."

"As this happened, it became harder for the explicit depiction of the large, erect

penis to serve as a symbol of anything divine or worthy of reverence. Instead, it

became relegated to the symbolization of excessive, 'animal' instincts (on satyrs,

for example, as noted earlier), while the worship ofthe male principle became

more abstract and its old, explicit penile reference more obscure...Not

surprisingly, the penis began to be seen as an object of shame, a rebellious little

piece of flesh that kept pursuing the body's irrational desires."

MySpace(whole body? not so much.)

"Crotch shots I encountered almost always featured the penis at least partially erect, and often included captions written by the member confirming both the validity of the photo and the ability of the subject to sexually fulfill his partner. Unlike the semi-nude photos I encountered, crotch shots were almost never chosen as the primary photo, necessitating membership in order to view them in the photo index."

"In contemporary American culture, the penis has become equated with status,

and the larger the better."

"It would be difficult to argue that men such as those in fig. 46-48 are displaying anything other than their penises. Though these men may be interested in conveying power, it is the specifically tactile power of sexual potency. Bordo describes the penis' "unique ability to make erotic feeling visible and apparent to the other person, a transparency of response that can be profoundly sexually empowering to the one who has stirred the response."

Obviously, this was written a little while ago.*

[a little personal back-story]:

My ex-fiance (who consequently first found me on FB**) wrote this while we were living together. It was/is her master's thesis in folklore (a broad academic field). She picked this topic (the comparing of representations of men by men in mass media) because she wanted to start something she knew she could stick with and finish. :rolleyes:

* Mister E was making MySpace un-cool... before MySpace was un-cool."

** In line w/ my firm belief that we make our own luck, there seems to me to be a very real connection between the activity of networking & getting lucky in general. I see it as a result of "putting yourself out there" & "playing the field".

I think it might be fair to distinguish different styles of seduction. There might be, firstly, "good faith courtship/wooing/flirtation", where the charmer is in earnest, largely honest, and does mostly positive things to try to win affection/interest/secure a relationship. Conversely, there might be "bad faith manipulation/deceit", ala Pick-Up Artistry, using various techniques to "work" the target's insecurities and establish a sort of relational dominance. And there might be Adaptive Seduction, which tries to adjust the approach according to the target's personality and interests. I'm sure people could think of plenty of others. Group Seduction might be an advanced discipline, involving drawing the continuing interest of multiple targets simultaneously.

Sexual issues also include a wide range of character complications, assuming we are talking about a campaign where characters are treated like people and not mobile artillery pieces.

Things like Distinctive Features, Hunteds, Physical, Psycholgical and Social complications all have their place in describing complications faced by a character.

Some of what Mr. E mentioned above makes me wonder how one would go about writing up an ability that would make a character extremely desirable without actually being considered coercive or unduly manipulative.

Hm... this is tricky.

Think about the way Kant ("Metaphysics of Morality") attempts to identify what constitutes a moral act:

For a person (e.g., Santa Claus) who always gives to others (a habit generally considered to be contrary to selfish personal interests), it is not clear whether (or not) doing so constitutes a moral act that necessarily transcends selfish personal interests.

[i.e., Some cloudy impotent
state
of "Claus"-complex
caused moral ambiguity surrounds the issue.]

However (in contrast), for a person (e.g., Scrooge) who never gives to others, doing so marks a distinct departure from common habit, singling the act out as having moral potential.

[i.e., A clear potent morally constituted
"Scrooge"-complex
fluxuation
sheds some light on the issue.]

Extrapolating from this...

Failure to Transcend EGO

example: If the action of a character is the direct result of the character failing an EGO roll to resist a Mental Complication (e.g., "Santa Claus Complex"), the action is both
out of
the character's control &
not
transcending EGO.

Transcending EGO

example: If the action of a character is the direct result of the character winning an EGO roll to resist a Mental Complication (e.g., "Scroog Complex"), the action is both controlled
by
the character
& transcending EGO

So, basically, it is like when...

... a player wishes its PC to perform an act so dumb that the GM demands that the player roll the PC's INT for the PC's own benefit... to let the GM explicitly tell the player that the PC thinks the act is stupid.

And when the PC succeeds with the INT roll... & the player is told...

.. the player then responds: "I don't care that my PC made its INT roll. The PC is going to do what I want it to do anyway."

If the PC had failed its INT roll, the result would be the same, but the act wouldn't constitute the PC transcending its own Intelligence.

You could judge results the same way for Presence Attacks, Charms, Mind Controls, etc. ...

~ Mister E ("Beauty tastes sublime in the the forgotten realm(s) of Aesthetique.")

[edit]:

This sounds to me like extra criteria for judging experience points earned.

Actually making...

...a character extremely desirable without actually being considered coercive or unduly manipulative...

... I have an idea, but atm...

One of numerous reasons why I hate Kant. :D

JG

Kant ("The Disagreeable") was monstrously unsophisticated. He thought humanity could be broken down into 2 classes of minds: Rational (a white man) & Irrational (not a white man).

If you want to be the most desired person in the world, first you must desire yourself. [Nicomachean Ethics]

How To Make...

a character extremely desirable without actually being considered coercive or unduly manipulative

[What about...?]

"Mutually Favorable Sexual Negotiation": Xd6 Mind Control: Mandatory Effect (the character must achieve a certain level of effect [Greater than EGO; Target will perform a sexual favor the target is inclined to perform anyway];the character always has to achieve a certain effect [The sexual favor matches the target’s Psychological Complications; -10 to total roll needed w/ Mind Control dice]; -1/4 limitation)

[sexual Favors]

The taking on of Favors (acknowledgment of purposivess) & the doing of Favors (achievement of purpose) is pleasurable. These 2 simple pleasures make Favors both desirable & addictive to play with.

All characters are already favorable. i.e., they can themselves perform Favors for others, & have others perform Favors for them. Thus, characters can likewise (both) owe Favors to (& be owed Favors by) other characters. This common sense favorability universally makes all characters potentially desirable to each other (and to themselves).

[bonus]:

Being Well-Connected (the Skill-Enhancer) doubles how favorable a character can be with the same number of character points (& gives a "first" Contact -1 cp price cut).

[pleasing harmonious motives]: "Philanthropy"/"Justice"/"Philia"

This character is pleased by the doing of other characters' Favors: "Altruistic"/"Benevolent"/"Xenophilic"

"Favors Others According to Common Sense": Psychological Complication (Uncommon, Moderate): -5 pts.

"Irrationally Favors Others": Psychological Complication (Uncommon, Strong): -10 pts.

"Adamantly Favors Others": Psychological Complication (Uncommon, Total): -15 pts.

This character is pleased by the doing of its own Favors: "Hedonistic"/"Nepotistic"

"Favors Self According to Common Sense": Psychological Complication (Common, Moderate): -10 pts.

"Irrationally Favors Self": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Strong): -15 pts.

"Adamantly Favors Self": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Total): -20 pts.

This character is pleased by the doing of all Favors: "Philanthropic"/"Just"

"Favors Everyone Equally According to Common Sense": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Moderate): -15 pts.

"Irrationally Favors Everyone Equally": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Strong): -20 pts.

"Adamantly Favors Everyone Equally": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Total): -25 pts.

[pleasing discordant motives]: "Misanthropy"/"Injustice"/"Phobia"

This character is pleased by the not-doing of other characters' Favors: "Sadistic"/"Malevolent"/"Xenophobic"

"Disfavors Others According to Common Sense": Psychological Complication (Uncommon, Moderate): -5 pts.

"Irrationally Disfavors Others": Psychological Complication (Uncommon, Strong): -10 pts.

"Adamantly Disfavors Others": Psychological Complication (Uncommon, Total): -15 pts.

This character is pleased by the not-doing of its own Favors: "Masochistic"/"Anti-Nepotistic"

"Disfavors Self According to Common Sense": Psychological Complication (Common, Moderate): -10 pts.

"Irrationally Disfavors Self": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Strong): -15 pts.

"Adamantly Disfavors Self": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Total): -20 pts.

This character is pleased by the not-doing of all Favors: "Misanthropic"/"Unjust"

"Favors No One At All According to Common Sense": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Moderate): -15 pts.

"Irrationally Favors No One At All": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Strong): -20 pts.

"Adamantly Favors No One At All": Psychological Complication (Very Common, Total): -25 pts.

Note: Just as the carrot is the stick by other means, so to is pleasure displeasure by other means. That is to say, both are control devices used to manipulate motives. For every one of the above "pleasing" Psych Lims there is an implied complimentary "displeasing" Psych Lim to go with it.

Take sadism/malevolence, for instance:

The sadist/malevolent/xenophobic-being is both pleased when other people's Favors are not done, & displeased when other people's Favors are done. imho, for simplicity, the 2 distinct phenomenons ought to be considered aspects of the same Mental Complication: "Sadistic"/"Malevolent"/"Xenophobic".

However, I suppose a character could double up to resist Mind Controls.

I have to admit, the idea of a "sexual" Favor is something I hadn't considered in the context of spending points on. I'd probably rate a Contact or Favor that was sexual-based as a 0-point item. Would a sexual Contact be a "friend with benefits" sort of thing?

Romantic Subplots:

1. Superhero w/Secret ID: Your DNPC has become suspicious of the way your character frequently shows up late or blows off dates(unbeknownst to them, due to your heroic activities). Unknown to your character, they have contacted a reality TV show, Cheaters, in order to follow you around and see what you are up to(and, if confirmed, confront you about your infidelity).

2. Hero/Villain relationship: Your Secret ID runs into a really fascinating and mysterious NPC, and quickly becomes romantically involved. Little do you know that your love interest is also your arch-nemesis in THEIR secret ID...

3. Stalked by Ex: One of your hunteds is actually a crazy/obsessive/abusive ex, who alternatively either wants you back(by force), or just wants you dead...

4. Heroic NPC: love interest is another superhero/adventurer, highly competent--shared risk of danger, may belong to a rival group or be an NPC member of same group

5. She wants the Hero, not the Zero: romantic love interest is only interested in dating the exciting Heroic ID, not the low-key Secret ID

Those are just a few, I'll come up with more later.

Closest we have to a woman posting in the thread - a woman posting ABOUT the thread.

I looked in the thread you mentioned. It didn't interest me. It treads into areas that I don't go in my Gaming. Romance is ok' date=' anything beyond the Fade to black and the Implied act is something that I don't need in my gaming. Characters with some of the abilities mentioned in that other thread would probably get a WTF reaction from me. I can't speak for the other Ladies of Hero, but it's safest to stay out of such threads.[/quote']

Lucius Alexander

Just me and the boys and a palindromedary here

Closest we have to a woman posting in the thread - a woman posting ABOUT the thread.

Lucius Alexander

Just me and the boys and a palindromedary here

Well, I'm trying to write a bit more about Romance. Aside from that, I have no comment other than what I've already said in the other thread.

Romantic Subplots:

6. A very special wedding day: Hero and their beloved get married...or will they? Villains attack/bride kidnapped/an ex appears to object/etc.

7. Honeymoon on Mars: Bride and Groom (if both are PCs) get into an adventure and whoosh off to exotic locales, during what was supposed to be a quiet, relaxing honeymoon...

8. Romantic Triangle: The hero must decide between two competing and (usually) equally alluring love interests.

9. Romantic Triangle(reversed): The hero is competing for the affections of the love interest, with a rival NPC(or even another hero)

10. Romantic Quadrangle: as above, but now there are 3 competing love interests

11. Romantic Polyhedron, v1: This is the classic harem anime/manga scenario: multiple love interests are competing for the heart of the hero(ine). May be resolved by: picking one; never picking at all; marrying all of them(if this or some variation is an option); picking someone else entirely

12. Romantic Polyhedron, v2: everyone is in love with someone who's in love with someone else, who's in love with...

13. The lonely loner: Hero avoids relationships but secretly wants to be in one

14. The lonely loner who seldom sleeps alone: Hero avoids commitment like the plague but secretly yearns for a lasting connection

15. But We Are Purrfect for Each Other, Darling: Hero(ine) is pursued by a supervillain(ess) (or villain(ess)) who is convinced that the Hero is "the one"(e.g., ideal breeding stock, the perfect consort, Mr./Ms. Yummy-lumpkins)

The lonely loner who got his wish: Hero(ine) who formed a lasting connection, secretly yearns for the carefree exciting life of a swinging single.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedaries and Posslqs

Romantic Subplots 3:

16. Forbidden Romance--love interest is of a different social caste/species/inappropriate gender/age group/degree of kinship/is a criminal/member of rival team/parents don't approve(and Daddy's the King!)

17. Ill-fated Romance--romance is doomed to fail/love interest is fated to die

18. Slow-developing romance--strangers become acquainted; acquaintances become friends; friends become close friends; several close calls and near misses; close friends become best friends; best friends become lovers(months or years later)

19. Fast-moving romance--love at first sight, moving in together on the 2nd date, marrying by the 5th date, acrimony and divorce...all in under a year!

20. Bittersweet romance--a beautiful relationship slowly goes sour...can anything be done to save it?

Seems like personality types probably should be figured into both romance and seduction. Some people with bipolar disorder may also be hypersexual, actively seeking out sexual activity wherever they can find it. Various personality disorders can make both romance and seduction harder(sometimes easier).

Romantic subplots 4:

21. Imbalance of power--one party in the relationship is almost completely dominant, the other hypersubmissive(or in little position to resist)--this is a subplot that may draw in outside parties to attempt to intervene

22. Green-eyed monster--a rival has a tendency to flirt with the hero's significant other, much to the (poorly-hidden) delight of the SO and the (poorly-hidden) annoyance of the hero.

23. Green-eyed monster, Speed Chart version--a hero's innocent (or not-so) flirtations with an attractive stranger(friend/opponent/NPC) draws the unwanted attention of their very powerful and very jealous paramour.

24. Generational rivalry--the newly-single (and still quite attractive) parent of the hero's significant other begins to make advances on the hero--the SO may or may not be aware of this

25. Have her home by 8pm, sharp!--the hero's child begins to date...and the hero discovers there are things he fears worse than dragons/Dr. Destroyer/Xenovores

I'm not sure how many of these I'm going to do--somewhere between 50 and 500, I guess. ;)

Could romance be broken down into skills and/or powers? I know it borders on the seduction category, but there could be some abilities on a character sheet to show a character is good at romance even if the player is not good at roleplaying.

Would this be covered under the social combat rules?