The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained herein)

megaplayboy

This thread is a "spinoff" from the "Heightened Libido" thread. Essentially, it's intended to be an unofficial, unendorsed thread for any ideas or thoughts related to erotic/romantic/sexual submatters in Hero System RPG campaigns. Lucius suggested calling it "Ultimate Erotic Hero", though I'm partial to Ero System Sexth Edition (ESSE or "Essay") for short.

A few disclaimers and caveats/guidelines to begin:

1. Hero Games, and the management and moderators of this board, in no way support or endorse any ideas contained in this thread.

2. Some of the material in this thread, while handled(hopefully) as discreetly and tastefully as possible, may still be considered offensive or controversial by some members here. We therefore forewarn them to avoid this thread if they are likely to be offended by material touching on these sensitive and mature matters.

3. When posting to this thread, please avoid the use of explicit sexual verbiage or imagery("no pics" and "no f-bombs" should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway). Descriptions of skills or abilities or mechanics related to erotic/romantic/sexual matters should make use of clinical terms where necessary and suggestive innuendo(just enough to get the point across) otherwise.

4. Did I say "no pics" and "no f-bombs"? I just wanted to make sure.

5. There are juveniles who frequent these boards, so if anything the content as presented should be about as titillating/explicit as a 1950s film on VD. Like I said, just enough to get the point across.

Once we've accumulated a decent amount of material, we'll probably create an unofficial pdf document containing useful stuff, put up a link to it or something, and shut down the thread.

For an example of what I'm talking about vis-a-vis item 3, I'd note that "KS: Sexual Technique" and "PS: Perform Sexual Technique" actually exist on a few "official" character sheets out there, and that therefore that level of descriptive abstraction is perfectly acceptable. OTOH, "KS: [specific sexual technique]" is probably pushing it.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

One question I've always had is the relationship between COM, Seduction, and various situational and preference modifiers. Yes, I know COM has been eliminated in 6e (argument for elsewhere, I still like it), but physical attractiveness still applies, one way or another.

1) Is a person who is not attracted to your gender necessarily affected in any way by a sexually-oriented Seduction attempt? A Player might easily decide that a given character is susceptible to that particular person, or to fake it, but is the PC/NPC required to respond in any way?

2) Can EGO rolls be used to resist an otherwise successful Seduction? Never been clear on this. What about PRE?

3) How does one clearly simulate extra effort and preparation put into the Seduction attempt? I'm thinking clothing, makeup, location, music and other ambient elements, perfume/cologne, and the like. What about complementary skills, such as Fashion Sense, Disguise, various Performing skills, and so on?

4) A fetish would normally be bought as a Complication, I assume. But since it might provide some degree of defense from Seduction attempts that don't include that fetish (sorry, darling, but your shoes just don't do it for me), how would that affect the point cost and process in a game with a lot of Seduction going on?

5) The whole concept of physical attractiveness is a very personal one. While there are statistical measures of 'what is attractive' that work over large groups, each individual has his or her own triggers and preferences. How do these factors play into Seductions? Does the blonde face a penalty to her roll because my character prefers redheads?

6) How does one represent being jaded? The Seduction that works very effectively on the 17-year old virgin may fail to even mildly amuse the person with a few dozen more years under their belt. Even if the older character is no seducer him/herself, they have still seen all of the approaches, all of the gimmicks, and lived through all of the aftermaths.

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

1. I had always wanted to abbreviate Sixth Edition '6E' to be pronounced 'sexy' or even 'sex-AY'.

This idea was firmly turned down by staff.

2. IF (and I'm saying IF) the book is to be a 6E reference, PLEASE, for love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, let's not get into the frackin' Comeliness Wars again. We HAVE Striking Appearance, and it is designed specifically for the purposes intended for the use of COM. If you want the book to be "edition neutral", then you can look up COM.

More specifically, the 5th Edition Ultimate Skill had rules for how "effective Comeliness" (with nice clothes, etc.) modifies Interaction Skills, and the new Skills book adapts the first book's rules for Seduction (now Charm).

JG

All Dolled Up: +1 SA, requires skill roll(Makeup/Grooming), extra time: 1 hour: 1 point

Sharp Dressed Man: +1 SA, OIF(fashionable clothing), extra time: 5 minutes: 1 point

That's a Sexy Little Number: +1 SA, OIF(Little black dress or similar), extra time: 5 minutes: 1 point

Mmm, What's That Scent You're Wearing?: +1 SA,limited IIF(perfume or cologne), extra time: 1 turn: 1 point

Steve L's general rule for COM: SA conversion is that +1 SA is equivalent to +5 COM. You could also "convert" as straightforward bonuses to Seduction, Persuasion and Conversation rolls. I'd rather not have to put conversion notes to every writeup. :)

Being jaded is actually pretty straightforward and could be shown as Resistance vs. Charm with a -1 Limitation "only affects seduction attempts. If a version of the Cinematic Flirting ability exists, I think Mental Defense versus it is also appropriate. I think a -2 Limitation is probably good.

Steve L's general rule for COM: SA conversion is that +1 SA is equivalent to +5 COM. You could also "convert" as straightforward bonuses to Seduction, Persuasion and Conversation rolls. I'd rather not have to put conversion notes to every writeup. :)

So that would be a yes on "Sixth Edition specific"?

1. I had always wanted to abbreviate Sixth Edition '6E' to be pronounced 'sexy' or even 'sex-AY'.

This idea was firmly turned down by staff.

2. IF (and I'm saying IF) the book is to be a 6E reference, PLEASE, for love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, let's not get into the frackin' Comeliness Wars again. We HAVE Striking Appearance, and it is designed specifically for the purposes intended for the use of COM. If you want the book to be "edition neutral", then you can look up COM.

More specifically, the 5th Edition Ultimate Skill had rules for how "effective Comeliness" (with nice clothes, etc.) modifies Interaction Skills, and the new Skills book adapts the first book's rules for Seduction (now Charm).

JG

Your attitude seems strangely hostile. Why can't the "book" just mentioned alternate uses for Comeliness as well particularly as the home thread mentioned that Based on Comeliness" would possibly serve as part of the material or at least inspiration? It not like "space" will be an issue, its not even remotely an official project and will be of more useful to fans that do use Com without referring them to I believe out of print book that they may or may not have. Having Com and Striking Appearance in the same text isn't going to hurt anyone and will make it convenient to a wider group of users.

So that would be a yes on "Sixth Edition specific"?

Well, others are welcome to post 5th edition versions of abilities(involving Comeliness or what have you), so long as there's a "conversion" for 6th included. As I said, conversion is pretty straightforward, for the most part. If something gives a bonus of less than 4-6 COM, then one possibility is to use limited SA, or even to limit the SA benefit a little bit more. I think if we just put a link to Bob Greenwade's guide to COM on here, that will provide plenty of material, both for COM devotees and for those willing to do the conversions. As I said, the conversions are pretty straightforward--if you want to use COM instead of SA, just do it--combine the two--+5 COM gives you a +1 to COM rolls, a +1 to seduction, persuasion and conversation, and +1d6 to appropriate PRE attacks.

I hope that will be satisfactory.

Well, others are welcome to post 5th edition versions of abilities(involving Comeliness or what have you), so long as there's a "conversion" for 6th included. As I said, conversion is pretty straightforward, for the most part. If something gives a bonus of less than 4-6 COM, then one possibility is to use limited SA, or even to limit the SA benefit a little bit more. I think if we just put a link to Bob Greenwade's guide to COM on here, that will provide plenty of material, both for COM devotees and for those willing to do the conversions. As I said, the conversions are pretty straightforward--if you want to use COM instead of SA, just do it--combine the two--+5 COM gives you a +1 to COM rolls, a +1 to seduction, persuasion and conversation, and +1d6 to appropriate PRE attacks.

I hope that will be satisfactory.

I see, thank you.

Question: Can voice be a 'sence' stoped by Entangle? Or how should gags be writen up? Images VS Sound' date=' Only to Muffle?[/quote']

Gag: Darkness to Hearing Group 1m radius, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Uncontrolled (End it by removing the gag; +1/2) (6 Active Points); Limited Power Target must co-operate (but can be coerced) or be unconscious or restrained (-1), No Range (-1/2), OIF (Gag of opportunity; -1/2), Extra Time (Extra Phase, Only to Activate, -1/2), Limited Effect Voice Only (-1/4), Limited Power Single target (-1/4) END cost 1 Real Cost 1

Lucius Alexander

Putting a muzzle on a palindromedary

Pasted from other thread:

Well-Endowed: +1 SA, limited group: 2 points; +1 with PS/KS involving intercourse : 3 points

Really Well-Endowed: +2 SA, limited group: 4 points; +2 with PS/KS involving intercourse: 6 points

Ladies' Man: +3 with Charm, Persuasion and Conversation, only vs. women: 6 points +3 with PS: Perform Sexual Technique and KS: Perform Sexual Technique, only vs. women: 6 points

I Can Go All Night: Half Endurance Cost on up to 20 STR, only for "intimate" activities(-1 1/2): 2 points

I Can Go As Long As I Want: Zero Endurance Cost on up to 20 STR, only for "intimate" activities(-1 1/2): 4 points

Well-formed: +1 SA, limited group: 2 points

It's Not the Size of the Ship: +1 to PS/KS involving intercourse, 3 points

Babe Magnet ability writeups coming next, I promise...

Babe Magnet: +3 Striking Appearance, limited group: women with one level or more of Striking Appearance: 6 points

Strong Babe Magnet: +5 Striking Appearance, limited group: 10 points

Babe Super Magnet: + 8 Striking Appearance, limited group: 16 points

Superbabe Magnet: +3 Striking Appearance, limited group: female superhumans with one level or more of Striking Appearance, OR women with 2 or more levels of Striking Appearance: 6 points

Strong Superbabe Magnet: + 5 SA: 10 points

Superbabe Super Magnet: + 8 SA: 16 points

Superstrong Superbabe Super Magnet: +12 SA: 24 points

Two other versions of this are written up as powers. One involves a cumulative single command mind control, aoe radius, and the other involves an actual summon(summoned babes must come from local area, and arrive under own power). Will write those up later.

The other version of this, of course, is "Stud Magnet". But the general concept is identical.

Crossposted And speaking of Effects of Heightened Libido:

Stretching 1m, x3 body dimension (8 Active Points); Very Limited Body Part (-1), Side Effects INT Drain, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-½), Cannot Do Damage ((unless you're doing it wrong); -½), Limited Power Refractory period (must wait between Activations) (-½), Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; Some combination of: Gestures; Extra Time; No Conscious Control; Conditional; Requires Roll (Charm Skill by appropriate other person Requires CON Roll or Burnout; etc; -½), no Noncombat Stretching (-¼), No Velocity Damage (-¼), Always Direct (-¼), Restrainable (Turn it off by turning him off; -¼), Costs END To Maintain (Half END Cost; -¼) END cost 1 Real Cost 1

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary likes saying "Samizdat!"

For male characters:

Charm The Ladies: +2 with Charm, Conversation and Persuasion; Only Vs. Women (-1). Real Cost: 3 points.

Difficult To Resist Him: Change Environment (-2 to Ego Roll), Persistent (+¼), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½); Only Affects Resisting His Charm or Persuasion Skill Use (-1), Only Works Vs. Women (-1), No Range (-½). Real Cost: 3 points.

Little Black Book: Summon 100-point Woman, Expanded Class of Beings (Very Limited Group; Any Woman; +¼), Friendly (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Specific Being (+1); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), Arrives Under Own Power (-½), Woman Must Inhabit Locale (-½). Real Cost: 12 points

For female characters:

Dangerous Beauty: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters). Real Cost: 3 points.

Incredible Sex Appeal: +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. targets that would find her sexually appealing or attractive). Real Cost: 4 points.

Seduction Techniques: Drain EGO ½d6, Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; +¼), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +¼), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; character starts talking with her target; +½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Constant (+½), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 6 Hours; +2); Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Ego Roll; All Or Nothing; -1 ½), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 ¼), EGO Reduction Only Affects Target's Ability To Resist Her (-1), Only Works Vs. Those Who Find Her Sexually Appealing (-1), Requires A Roll (Charm roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; Must be made each use; -¾), No Range (-½). Real Cost: 4 points.

Very Few Can Resist Her: Change Environment (-4 to Ego Roll), Persistent (+¼), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½); Only Affects Resisting Her (-1), Only Works Vs. Those Who Find Her Sexually Appealing (-1), No Range (-½). Real Cost: 7 points.

Combining the last two abilities would be extremely effective in seducing a target.

Of course, the abilities can be swapped between genders easily enough. The write-ups above are from characters in my current campaigns.

Speed Seduction: +6 levels with Charm/Seduction, only to offset penalties for "hurrying up" tasks(-1/2): 8 points

Speedier Seduction: +9 levels, only to offset hurry up penalties: 12 points

Hyperspeed Seduction: +15 levels, only to offset hurry up penalties(a 6 hour task can be performed in a turn): 20 points

The Difficult We Do Immediately: +4 levels with Charm/Seduction, only to offset any difficulty penalties(levels do not apply to how much you make roll by or how much target has to make roll by, -1/4): 6 points

The Impossible Takes a Bit Longer: +8 levels: 13 points

Never Heard The Word Impossible: +12 levels: 19 points

This Time, There's No Stopping Us: +16 levels: 26 points

Use of these abilities, particularly at the higher levels, turn Charm/Seduction into something more akin to Mind Control.

I'll repeat a concept I spouted somewhere here in response to one of Oddhat's threads. In Horror films/stories/RPGs one of the automatics was that if you went off into a private place and made oo-oo, the monsters would get you and your little dog too, so to speak.

The concept is that the monsters are psionically sensitive, and humans in the throes of sexual passion are (admittedly unwittingly) screaming like dissonant air-horns on the psionic channels. So the monsters are just getting fed up and taking out their sleep-deprived frustration on the equivalent of the car alarms that won't shut up in the middle of the night.

If your campaign has psionics, this has some possibly interesting ramifications.

I'll repeat a concept I spouted somewhere here in response to one of Oddhat's threads. In Horror films/stories/RPGs one of the automatics was that if you went off into a private place and made oo-oo, the monsters would get you and your little dog too, so to speak.

The concept is that the monsters are psionically sensitive, and humans in the throes of sexual passion are (admittedly unwittingly) screaming like dissonant air-horns on the psionic channels. So the monsters are just getting fed up and taking out their sleep-deprived frustration on the equivalent of the car alarms that won't shut up in the middle of the night.

If your campaign has psionics, this has some possibly interesting ramifications.

That almost sounds like sex-based Unluck.

"They're bein' bad....": Detect A Class Of Things: To include all manner of physical expressions of carnal desire or romantic affection more involved than interdigitation or brief osculation, such as are commonly practiced privately by adults and perhaps even more commonly by adolescents. Perception Roll (Mental Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Penetrative, Perceive into a single other dimension: near future (I know you're gonna do somethin' bad and I wanna be there to catch you at it), Sense, Telescopic: +2 Real Cost:28

Psychological Complication: Compulsion to bloodily kill people for engaging in natural and beautiful acts of togetherness. On the other hand, kills rapists as well. On still another hand, kills their victims too. (Very Common; Total) -25

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is safe

Some general thoughts:

1. A distinction between romantic vs. erotic vs. sexual may(or may not) be useful. Romantic elements pervade most genre fiction and consequently feature prominently in many RPG campaigns and settings.

2. Romantic/Erotic/Sexual Complications: there are potentially quite a few of these, from psychological quirks and complications(fetishes, phobias, identity disorders, etc.) to physical complications(paraplegia, impotence, priapism, high libido, low libido, etc.) to rivalries to sex-based unluck(something always happens when you're about to get "lucky") to maybe a modified form of hunted(i.e., stalkers, exes, etc.), and so forth

3. Skills: obviously, interaction skills play a big role here, but also a variety of KS and PS such as Sexual Technique, Makeup, Grooming, Wardrobe, Courtship Rituals, Repartee, AK of romantic night spots, clubs, etc. Maybe Analyze: Sexual Technique?

4. Powers: I'd suggest broadly breaking these down into a few categories: Hyper Attractiveness, Hyper Seduction, Hyper Charisma, Erotic Mind Control(or EMC), Body Manipulation(self), Body Manipulation(others), Summonings and Enchantments, Emotion-based powers, Tantric Magic--who knows?

5. Advantages: Uh, no jokes about "Penetrating Advantage on Everything!"

6. Limitations: no range, must grab/kiss/etc., requires a piece of hair/clothing/something belonging to target

7. Writeups: Succubus options and modifications, "sexbots" and drones, Vampires, Generic Hunk, Generic Babe, Hard to Get Babe, Really Hard to Get Superbabe, Perverted Tentacle Monster, Mischievous Horny Faerie, Femme Fatale, Sexy Secret Agent, Tantric Mage/Erotic Enchantress

8. Miscellaneous: "was it good for you?"(resolving, well, you know); integrating/introducing R/E/S elements in a game; using social combat, etc.

Babe Magnet: +3 Striking Appearance, limited group: women with one level or more of Striking Appearance: 6 points

Strong Babe Magnet: +5 Striking Appearance, limited group: 10 points

Babe Super Magnet: + 8 Striking Appearance, limited group: 16 points

Superbabe Magnet: +3 Striking Appearance, limited group: female superhumans with one level or more of Striking Appearance, OR women with 2 or more levels of Striking Appearance: 6 points

Strong Superbabe Magnet: + 5 SA: 10 points

Superbabe Super Magnet: + 8 SA: 16 points

Superstrong Superbabe Super Magnet: +12 SA: 24 points

Two other versions of this are written up as powers. One involves a cumulative single command mind control, aoe radius, and the other involves an actual summon(summoned babes must come from local area, and arrive under own power). Will write those up later.

The other version of this, of course, is "Stud Magnet". But the general concept is identical.

I like these abilities, and I'd rep you if I could.

One off the wall thought. Given the descriptions of the limited group for these SA abilities, isn't there a danger of attracting attention from... uhh... relatives of the opposite gender? Maybe there is an assumed -0 limitation on all such attraction-based SA abilties?