MYTHIC HERO: What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: MYTHIC HERO: What Do *You* Want To See?

The last book I was expecting arrived yesterday, so this Sunday I will be switching back to the mythic world of the Mayans temporarily (Saturday I'm having a movie party ;) ). Once that's done I'll be back to the tales of the Greeks. It's been years since I really delved into classical mythology, so this feels like getting re-acquainted with an old friend I haven't seen in ages. :)

Time to head on to one of the big ones: Greek and Roman mythology. I've already got 10' date='000 words written on that chapter and it's nowhere near done. May end up rivaling or exceeding the American Indian Mythologies chapter before I'm done. ;)[/quote']

I would be interested to see if the version of Typhon in this book looks much different from the one in Book Of Dragons. I haven't had an opportunity to use him as written -- my group doesn't yet play at a high enough level, in any genre, to stand a chance against him. :angst:

I would be interested to see if the version of Typhon in this book looks much different from the one in Book Of Dragons.

Besides the conversion to 6E, I suspect that any changes that result will come from the fact that I'm taking a broader, more thorough look at the idea of divine beings and their adversaries in MH than I ever have before. So I may have to tweak Typhon, Fenris, Jormungandr, and other mythic creatures previously published to make them fit properly into the overall framework. (And as I've said before, that's one reason I don't like the idea of publishing individual chapters as I go; I want to have 'em all on hand to review, compare, and consistent-ize before I publish them, if ever I get to.) But at their core they'll certainly remain the same. ;)

I got my final book on Mayan mythology in the mail last week and finished the research and writing on that chapter just now, so that part of the book is done. Now I can focus on Greek and Roman without other mythological distractions.

Word count to date: 150,000 (about 10% longer than the APG).

Here's an updated list of the mythologies I expect to include in MH. The ones marked with † have already been finished (aside from the usual minor clean-up and math stuff). The ones marked * may be moved to the Miscellaneous chapter, or combined with another chapter, if I don't think there's enough material to merit a full chapter after I do the research.

African (covering all tribes and parts of the continent not covered in other chapters)

American Indian† (split into six sub-chapters covering major cultural groups)

Armenian†

Assyro-Babylonian†

Australian Aborigine

Aztec†

Canaanite*

Celtic

Chinese

Demonology (medieval Christian demons; may also include some angels)

Egyptian

Estonian*

Etruscan*

Filipino*

Finnish†

Greek and Roman

Hawaiian

Hindu

Hittite*

Hungarian*

Inca

Japanese

Lithuanian*

Maori*

Masai*

Mayan†

Mongolian/Turkic*

Norse†

Oceanic

Persian

Scythian*

Slavic/Russian

South American* (possibly combined with Inca)

Sumerian†

Voodoo

Yoruban

Miscellaneous

*Runs to convenience store to buy another lottery ticket.*

People always say what would you do if you won the lottery. I can think I one very important thing straight off.

MH is really looking interesting, thanks for keeping us informed on your progress.

Of course the post I am really looking forward to is where you annouce that its being published.

That sounds like a HSB-sized book.

At the very least. It'd be a big 'un. ;)

I'd pay top dollar for a hardcover color version, and even a princely sum for a softcover b&w version.

When I dream, I dream of making it a full-color hardcover book. I have a lot of graphics and layout ideas, all of them probably unrealizable. But that's what dreaming's for. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who enjoy updates, I'm currently making good progress on the Greek And Roman Mythology chapter. I didn't feel like doing more research this past weekend, so I went ahead and got preliminary character sheets done for all of the gods (except one), some heroes, and a couple monsters. Lots of reading left to do to find all those little details that will make it a top-notch chapter, but the groundwork is definitely in place. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another update!

I've just declared the chapter on Greek Mythology finished! I still have to do research on Mithras, but that's pretty much a separate thing I'll take care of later. The chapter clocked in at a bit over 42,000 words, by far the longest to date.

Next up: Egyptian Mythology! ;)

mega -- I'm not sure how big it would be so far, since it depends in part on things like illustration density, font type and size, whether there are sidebars, etc. -- but it certainly won't be a small book, that's for sure. ;) By comparison Champions 6E is about 185,000 words/300 printed pages, FH 6E is about 330,000 words/480 pages, Dark Champions is about 240,000 words/380 pages.

I have a bunch of ideas for the layout and design of the book, but I'm not sure if they're good enough to pursue, whether I could pull them off myself or would need help, and so on.