Reavers: Revisited

Badger

For some reason I got to re-thinking about the Reavers from Firefly again (i think I wanted to create a "basic" Reaver 5 years ago, but long since forgot about it), and some thoughts I might have on them. Some ideas on how to build them, some habits, and possible other settings. (I am still on 5th ed, so there is possible changes I might not know to factor in). Basically just for discussion. (as I know it would up to GM, but, curious to other's ideas)

-well, I was thinking as far as the basic characteristics, for the most part they would be to the same level they were before they turned in most stats. Possible changes that could be done. Possible a couple of points on STR (though optional, but I thought it might be approp. to represent their "berserk fury") And probably some points added to STUN (they keep coming, and could be in such rage-fueled state they ignore injuries). Of course COM would go down eventually with all the mutilation)

-I wouldnt know what to do with INT and skills. Though, not particularly on screen they have shown signs they may have retained certain skills. Flying a ship, running the engine (though in a dangerous way), and they did set up that trap in that one episode (Bushwhacked?)

Anyhow, to explain some things in the way they act.

-How come they never attack each other? And how come they tried to convert that one guy? Could it be they have an ability to detect that 1 in 1000 person susceptible to the Pax? To know not to kill each other off, and whom to try to convert.

-In addition to that, could the way they "convert" the prisoner, be they expose in some way them to the Pax rather than the exposing to torture. (They might not know why they turn them, it might be a little "ritual" to them, show them some torture, inject them with the Pax, go off and leave them alone to "reflect" come back in a certain time: New recruit.)

-Just how the heck did they manage to organize themselves and fight on some level as a unit (albeit in an apparently more primitive manner)

-I havent thought much in detail about other universes. Other than the fact I wondered of any animals on Miranda, how were they affected? Similar results. If so? Would a universe with aliens mean that certain alien species could go reaver? (yeah, I know it might not make much sense, but my mind delves into the hypothetical sometimes)

So, any other ideas.

Re: Reavers: Revisited

Yeah...the Reavers don't really make a lot of sense if you think too hard about them.

I mean, maintaining and flying a spaceship without killing everyone on board isn't easy. It's impossible if you're a raving psycho all the time. Raving psychos don't generally take the time to dot their i's and cross their t's, and space is a very unforgiving environment.

So, "unhinged psychotics"? Not so much. Absolutely brutal culture in which the first, slightest sign of weakness means your doom, and everyone competes to prove he's One Of Us by being more vicious and depraved than the next guy? That I'd buy. (In fact, there's a ritual, a group bonding experience, that an LEO friend of mine calls the "group monkey dance"* in which the members of a group do just that--compete to prove their loyalty to and membership in the group by beating/torturing/killing an outsider.

If you have the misfortune to become the target of the group monkey dance, it's not really about you. And nothing you say or do will save you from the beating/torture/murder you're about to experience. If you resist, or try to talk your way out of it, you've "dissed" them and must be taught a lesson. If you cower or try to run, you've proven your weakness and deserve what you get.

I can believe in a violent subculture amongst the Reavers in which they behave this way toward all outsiders. But not in one where they are really, truly raving psychotics.

*The regular "monkey dance" is generally non-lethal. That's when two guys eyeball one another, usually followed by a verbal challenge ("What are YOU lookin' at?"), followed by chest bumping, or other displays, typically culminating in a shove or a poke to the chest, and then a looping overhand punch to the head. Unless someone falls down and hits his head on the curb (or something else hard), it's unlikely to result in serious injury.

• 4 months later...

Didnt mean to bring this back. But, I've been watching the old Transformers cartoon on the Hub. And the Hate (spores) Plague from The Return of Optimus Prime bore a strking resemblance to this. (except for obvious differences in virulence, and obviously didnt limit itself to the carbon-based).

Well, just thought it was noteworthy, anyhow. In the case of the Hate Plague, the infected did seem to be at the same intelligence as before more or less, just with an overhwelming desire to destroy (though, with certain characters on the show, who would notice?). If memory serves they infected attacked each other once of twice (until non-infected came upon the scene). In any case, those episodes could help flesh out details, if one was to want to go in depth with reaverism.

Then, again I think Galvatron made more sense infected. He was a bit of an unstable goofball in the 3rd season as it was, though.

If you have the misfortune to become the target of the group monkey dance, it's not really about you. And nothing you say or do will save you from the beating/torture/murder you're about to experience. If you resist, or try to talk your way out of it, you've "dissed" them and must be taught a lesson. If you cower or try to run, you've proven your weakness and deserve what you get.

Well... there ARE other ways...

But the chances that the target of the group monkey dance will also be a suicidally depressed Norse pagan, multiple martial arts trained professional fighter in his prime, who is also the team captain of the west coast champion shinty team and who is already nursing a powerful urge to destroy everything in sight.

Fun facts... I never once even got scared. or, in fact responded, other than with a growing smile.

and I have no idea what Alpha Monkey was saying. Wasn't even listening. I was already past how I was going to kill him and planning how to start in on his buddies by the time he started talking.

I PRE attacked my way out of it, because I was looking forward to it. At the time, the idea of a no holds barred fight with a gang of idiots seemed like a godssend.

F

-How come they never attack each other? And how come they tried to convert that one guy? Could it be they have an ability to detect that 1 in 1000 person susceptible to the Pax? To know not to kill each other off, and whom to try to convert.

In something I did, I had them be a hive mind communicating telepathically and with a compulsion to kill any animal that it couldn't touch...which is most people. The rare exceptions were susceptible to being infected without need of chemical aids if you just traumatized them enough.