The Walker - a very low powered superhero

Ranxerox

This character could easily fit into a Dark Champions campaign, but I envisioned him in a world with superheroes so I wrote by Champions' rules.

[b]The Walker - Aaron Green[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
13    STR     3   13      12-       HTH Damage 2 1/2d6  END [1]
14    DEX     8   14      12-       
15    CON     5   15      12-
10    BODY    0   10      
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
10    EGO     0   10      11-       
13    PRE     3   13      12-       PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6
6     OCV     15   6
8     DCV     25   8
3     OMCV   0    3
3     DCMV   0    3
8    PD      6   8/14             8/14 PD (0/6 rPD)
6    ED      4   6/12             6/12 ED (0/6 rED)
4    SPD     20   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
6    REC     2   6
36    END     4   36
30    STUN    5   30
12    RUN      0   12m                END [1]
4    SWIM     0   4m                END [1]
4    LEAP     0   4m                4m forward, 2m upward

[b]CHA Cost: 103[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
22    [b][i]Visions[/i][/b]: Precognitive Precognition (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Precognition acivates when character is at the site something "interesting" is going to happen in the next couple of days.  Only activates once per interesting event.; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition Only (-1) - END=0
9     [b][i]Retractable Baton[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Limited Power Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=0
10     [b][i]Kevlar Body Suit[/i][/b]: Resistant Protection (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Activation (14- roll; -1/4) - END=0
3     [b][i]Cell Phone[/i][/b]: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Cellular Phone Band Communication Only (-1), Affected As Sight and Hearing Group As Well As Radar [very common Sense] (-1/2) - END=0
29     [b][i]Things You Can Buy At Walmart[/i][/b]: Gadget Pool, 25 base + 25 control cost,  (38 Active Points); Limited Power All Gadgets Must Be Legally and Commercially Available (-1/2), Limited Power Slots Can Only Be Changed Between Scenes (-1/4); all slots OAF (-1) - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 73[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Krav Maga
4      1)  Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4      2)  Disarm:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 33 STR to Disarm
4      3)  Escape:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 38 STR vs. Grabs
3      4)  Joint Lock:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 33 STR for holding on
3      5)  Slam:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 5 1/2d6 Strike, Target Falls
4      6)  Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 6 1/2d6 Strike
1      7)  Weapon Element:  Clubs
8      8)  +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 31[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Breakfall 12-
3      Computer Programming 12-
3      Conversation 12-
3      Deduction 12-
3      Paramedics 12-
3      Stealth 12-
3      Streetwise 12-
5      Persuasion 13-

3      Jack of All Trades
1      1)  PS: Accounting (2 Active Points) 11-
1      2)  PS: Medical Billing (2 Active Points) 11-
1      3)  PS: Telephone Tech Support (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  PS: Transcription (2 Active Points) 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 33[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
9     [b][i]Good Relations With Local Police[/i][/b]: Contact (Contact has useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3) (9 Active Points) 11-
1      Positive Reputation:  A Good Guy Who Will Help You If He Can (In The Neighborhood) 11-, +1/+1d6

[b]PERKS Cost: 10[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Psychological Complication:  View Himself As The Protector Of His Neighborhood (Very Common; Strong)
5     Psychological Complication:  Socially Awkward (Uncommon; Moderate)
10     Hunted:  Nightmare Syndicate (a local streetgang with deeper roots) Infrequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
10     Dependent NPC:  "Uncle Ron" Ronald Green and "Aunt Dee" Denise Green Infrequently (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
5     Social Complication:  Minority: Young, Black Male Infrequently, Minor

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 50[/b]

Base Pts: 250
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 250

Background to follow

Re: The Walker - a very low powered superhero

Background: Aaron Green had his first vision when he was 14. His mother had had hers when she was 12, but Aaron was in all things a late bloomer so it is no surprise that it happened later for him. Aaron's happened when he was making a shortcut through an alley on his way home from school, and it was of a women being brutally raped in killed. Understandably the vision left him shaken to his very core, but that was nothing compared to how he felt when the vision became true 2 nights later. That was Aaron's first vision but it wasn't his last, and largely because of the activities of the newest gang to enter the neighborhood, the Nightmare Syndicate, almost all of the visions were extremely disturbing. Soon Aaron started to refuse to leave his aunt and uncle's home at all to avoid the visions.

Not wanting to be a burden on his Uncle Ron and Aunt Dee, Aaron got his GED through home study and worked on teaching himself trades that could be done without leaving the house. He worked as a programer, telemarketeer, medical transcriptionist, and any other job that he could do by telephone or internet. The jobs were usually temporary and low paying, but since Aaron was willing work 10 to 12 hours a day he was able to pay rent to his uncle and save money as well. This state lasted for several years, until he had vision of himself as an old man still living an eventually dying in the same room. He didn't think that it was a psychic vision like the ones that he was prone to but knew that it might be prophetic nonetheless.

So Aaron ventured out into the world again and only made it a little over a block before having the a vision of a brutal mugging. The assailant started the mugging the by asking the victim what time it was so Aaron knew exactly when mugging was to occur. He also knew that the mugger was armed and capable of violence. Despite this, Aaron found the courage to show up at the foretold time an place of the assault, and he was able to talk mugger out of his crime.

That was the beginning. Other crimes Aaron would not be able to talk the criminal out of committing and sometimes they turned their violence on him. In order to keep himself alive, Aaron used his some of his savings to buy bullet proof clothing, a retractable baton and to pay for krav maga lessons. Even with these precautions and armed with the foreknowledge provided by his visions, Aaron still sometimes found himself sometimes failing and sometimes getting hurt. However, rather than retreat to his room, everyday Aaron continued to walked the streets his neighborhood collecting his visions and returning to prevent crimes he saw. It is from this daily journey, that Aaron would get a new name, the Walker.

Appearance: Aaron Green is a tall, thin African-American male in his early twenties. Nothing about his appearance or behavior particularly suggest gang member, but that does not always stop people from mistaking him for one.

The Walker wears combat boots, and black bullet resistant, Kevlar clothing and helmet. The helmet has a lightly tinted face plate that makes his face indistinct. He softens the look by wearing a gray hoodie over his Kevlar top and helmet. "Psalms 23:4" is stenciled on the back of his gray hoodie.

Personality/Motivation: When Aaron first started his motivation was confront his fears so he could leave his room and have a life. Indeed, since he has started repairing futures as he thinks of it, his visions have become less vivid and easier to deal with. However, helping people and protecting people has been addictive for him and he now regards himself as the protector of his neighborhood.

Aaron's years spent not leaving his aunt and uncle's home were to the detriment of his social development. So while he has the courage to face down and entire gang of street toughs, asking a girl out on a date is considerably more intimidating to him.

Quote: "I called 911 two minutes ago. You might want to be moving along."

Powers/Tactics: The Walker gets visions of the future events when he is at the site where the event is scheduled to occur. As a general rule, the Walker is generally limited to seeing things 48 hours in advance though at GM discretion he might see really big events further into the future than 2 days. What exactly makes an event vision worthy is unclear. Most of his visions relate to violence - rapes, murders, assaults - but occasionally he is lucky enough to get a vision of a reunion of long lost relatives or true love at first sight, and occasionally he has visions where nothing important at all seems to happen and he can only wonder why the scene was shown to him. The events in the Walker are not immutable, they are merely what will happen if the Walker does nothing.

Armed with knowledge provided by his visions, the Walker walks every street and ally of his neighborhood each day giving rise to his name. This sort of predictable behavior would for any other hero would be an invitation for ambush, but it keeps the Walker safe because any planned ambush against him are revealed to him in his visions before they happen. However, his walks are not for his own protection but to allow him to protect others. When the Walker has a vision of violence or loss, he comes back to the site of the vision at the time the event is scheduled to occur (as best he can figure based on what he sees in the vision) and to the best of his ability tries to prevent the vision from becoming reality.

Campaign Use: The most natural way for the PCs to meet the Walker is for him to come to them for help after his has a vision of something that is clearly out of his ability to handle by himself. Though he might also show up to warn them of the consequence of their own actions. Given the nature of his visions, the Walker can only tell the consequences not the sequence of events that lead up to them so that would be up to the PCs to figure out. Since, the Walker's visions only reach through time, not space, the event would probably need to happen in his neighborhood or be large enough to effect his neighborhood. Of course for something truly big like the destruction of the city (or planet!) would leave him with visions everywhere that he went.

• 2 weeks later...

I like. Should probably change the character sheet from 'jujitsu' to 'krav maga', but otherwise, nice writeup. Can't see anything unbalancing or big holes at first readthrough. I like "Things You Can Buy at Wal-Mart" as a power name, especially.

Cool character. One thing to keep in mind is that bulletproof vests are illegal in many cities. Only cops are allowed to have them. This might not affect your game' date=' but it's a consideration for points or a problem while dealing with cops.[/quote']

I looked on the Google and found very little support for this claim. Source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_vest#Legality

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Quick_Answers.shtml

Several police reports where people were charged with wearing them, after being busted during a crime. Maybe they were already felons, as that is listed as illegal. Or maybe it's something like wearing one while engaging in a crime. There's lots and lots of little gotchas with city laws.

Several police reports where people were charged with wearing them' date=' after being busted during a crime. Maybe they were already felons, as that is listed as illegal. Or maybe it's something like wearing one while engaging in a crime. There's lots and lots of little gotchas with city laws.[/quote']

I think that that is the correct interpretation. Wearing armor during the commission of a crime is considered similar to carrying a weapon during the commission of the same crime. IIRC the term is 'aggravating factor', but I'm not sure. It is considered recognition of the fact that it is a crime and evidence of premeditation. Just walking down the street wearing one shouldn't get you busted, though it may draw attention from the LEOs.

Never. Despite what it says on the back of his hoodie, he is very low key about his religious beliefs. He does sometimes pray silently before going into situations where he or someone else has a good chance of being seriously hurt or killed though.