What is Happening with Dark Champions?

Deadman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Superman: TAS is somewhat outside the Hudson City powers levels, but not necessarily by much.

The DC:TAS supplement is as much about genre style as it is power levels.

TAS superman is just operating at a stripped down level, IMO - and even with a 50 ST he'd be "wowza!"

Well greywind I've been considered an oxymoron too. : ) But anyways it really depends on what you want to focus on. If you try to represent Supes as in the anime then no - I don't think DC:TAS works. However if you focuses on the character having a great str (no more than 50) semi-invulnerablity such as inherent resistent defenses which stop small arms but military arms would pose a problem. He can be a doable character.

• 2 months later...

I've been thinking about the notion of Superman:TAS and decided my next game with be Champions:TAS.

I think stripping CU characters down to the levels we noted for Superman would make for a fun game -- and would actually make interacting with the DC:TAS characters more "reasonable" and would make agent-centric games simpler to run, as well.

It would also go along with an itch I've had for a CU re-boot / re-envisioning with a shorter / more recent history. Some of the characters have dated backgrounds that need a face-lift or re-write.  

Vondy I'd loved to hear more of an elaboration on Champions: TAS. ( I'm wondering if I haven't been doing something like that now)

I don't really have anything concrete thought out.

I'm thinking it would weigh in around 8-10DC w. 16-20 defenses.

It would also have simpler builds and be more romantic bronze age than wangsty iron age.

Speaking of modern, I think the TAS pseudo-50's style with suits and hats and 50's cars and zeppelins is good.

Killing attacks would be rare and mostly limited to cops and thugs with handguns, etc.

I think the first thing I need to do is identify my champions lineup and do the re-writes / write-ups.

Speaking of modern, I think the TAS pseudo-50's style with suits and hats and 50's cars and zeppelins is good.

I tend to place all of my supers games into the 70-80's.  Not cell phones and surveillance cameras are large and feed tape.  Or in other words, lower tech that supports the plausibility of a secret identity a little better.

I tend to place all of my supers games into the 70-80's.  Not cell phones and surveillance cameras are large and feed tape.  Or in other words, lower tech that supports the plausibility of a secret identity a little better.

With TAS its a thin veneer of historical aesthetic -- there are computers and cell phones and the like. But, an actual historical settings are a way to do what you want.  I set a game in the post WWII years (46-50) that worked out pretty well.

Vondy I'm running some Champions now for my daughter and nephew and Im at the power levels you suggested and I have also am using simpler build. I.e. Geodesics from Enemies II.

How are those power levels working out? Have you run into any issues? Or things you need to tweak?

Vondy so far the levels are working out ok.  I'm pegging the avererage at 10DC for villians. I,m trying to keep the speed at 4-6.  So far the only major iis flash due to updating. (By updating, I'm using 5threv. rules).In the book, it recommends that from fourth to fifth, you should just double the amount of dice.  Well I did an update of the original Nest Leader from the VIPER's Nest.  His original flash was 7D6.  I think that the 14D6 flash that the kids suffered was...excessive.

Oh and I forgot to add Vondy about builds.  When looking at villian builds, I look at Classic Enemies.  Most of the enemies in there are fairly straightforward builds and just enough added skills that make sense without overloading a sheet.  I allow a more broader use of a skill with a possible penalty than requiring a lot of skills.  For example Shrinker has KS: Biochem. I allow other science skills to use this but at a penalty depending on how far removed it think it is from biochem.  The penalty ranges from -1 to -3.  And if they don't have that skill, then its a -3 on a characterisitc roll.  I try yo make sure also that everyone has some sort of resistant defense-even if its combat luck.  Iam trying to keep down the blood shed.

Oh and I forgot to add Vondy about builds.  When looking at villian builds, I look at Classic Enemies.  Most of the enemies in there are fairly straightforward builds and just enough added skills that make sense without overloading a sheet.  I allow a more broader use of a skill with a possible penalty than requiring a lot of skills.  For example Shrinker has KS: Biochem. I allow other science skills to use this but at a penalty depending on how far removed it think it is from biochem.  The penalty ranges from -1 to -3.  And if they don't have that skill, then its a -3 on a characterisitc roll.  I try yo make sure also that everyone has some sort of resistant defense-even if its combat luck.  Iam trying to keep down the blood shed.

I think a broad application of skills is generally good. I also think a broader application of the power skill could simplify some things as well. I'm planning to go with "combat and signature gear needs to be paid for with points," but not other mundane gear.

• 3 months later...

I don't feel a several month gap, as opposed to several season or years, constitutes necro.  And what's wrong with necro, when it does not include trolling?

Our local Dark Champions game, Shadows Over Detroit, permits up to Power Man supers, and he's the exact example cited.  Just the other day it occured to me that Doc Samson would be another good, though not equally good, example.

doc-samson2.png

Rotor Baron I have to admit something about artwork in books. I never paid much attention till CKC. In CKC , Lazer lookd like a total bad@$$ and a serious villian while in classic enemies he looks a little goofy although fitting in with super hero/silver ageish. Now I understand how artwork can affect a sale.

Hi guys, got DC: TAS quite a while ago.

The artwork wasn't as furchtbar as I thought - some was quite okay.

The content was to my liking. Really do like it. One problem in play could be the genre typical but highly arificial "only attack the villain after all his minions are down or he has attacked you first"  and the power level of te villain himself. Most have a hard hance to stand up to even one hero.

I like my viallains a little tougher than that.

But all in all a solid product that I would recommend.

The content was to my liking. Really do like it. One problem in play could be the genre typical but highly arificial "only attack the villain after all his minions are down or he has attacked.

/quote]

I know its artificial but I realy do like that mechanic.

I never got around to it but I thought of buying at least one power where the effect is that a agent some how gets in the way of the hero even if the agent wasn't there before.

Re: only attack the villain after all his minions are down or he has attacked.  One of our GMs has a house rule that if you Dive For Cover in front of someone to take the hit for them, you are automatically successful.  Even if you are a villain.

So, it's easy for an agent with a Held Action, or even Abort, to take a hit for the Big Bad Boss in his games.