Noble Titles

teh bunneh

I need to find some examples of real-world noble titles. Things like "Keeper of the Keys of blah blah" or "Guardian of the Eastern Reaches" or whatever -- those sub-titles that powerful nobles seem to have a whole slate of. The whole "Duke Heathcliff of Bumsecksia, Fifth Earl of Jinkies, Guardian of the Sacred Keys, Exchequer of East Hickstanistan, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Quirm, etc."

Specifically, I need a good example of a title that someone who has a license from the King to mint coinage, and a title of someone who is the guardian of a very important pilgrimage. And a few others, just for fun. ;)

Re: Noble Titles

Go study some English Medieval history. We had/have more noble titles than we know what to do with, though no shortage of inbred idiots to fill them. (Sorry, my prejudices are getting away from me there, I'm sure that if I actually met any aristocrats I'd find some of them to be charming and/or intelligent).

Sheriff is a good one.

Marshal.

Gentleman of the Bedchamber. Someone who got to share the King's bed. This was not, in theory, a sexual thing; sharing beds was perfectly normal as it was a good way to conserve heat.

Gentleman of the Horse.

Gentleman of the Privy Chamber. Yep, that was the bloke who had the honour of wiping the king's arse. Actually there was more to it than that and actual wiping may have been unnecessary. Dressing, undressing and generally attending to the king's needs were definitely part of the job description, however, and the position was an extremely powerful one.

Chancellor of the Exchequer. The man with the money.

Peer of the Realm.

Elector.

Knightly Orders make for good titles as well. Here is a mix of real and imagined Knightly titles. Knight of the Garter. Knight of the Body. Knight Hospitaller/ Knight of St John. Knight of the Blade. Knight Rampant. Knight of the Ermine. Knight of the Thistle. Knight of the Forgotten Star. Companion of Honour. See Chivalric Orders for more.

The Chinese also had an insane number of titles, military ones at least. General Who Quell's Bandits, General Who Pacifies the West, Fourth Tiger General, Conquerer of the East, General of Chariots etc. Look up the Romance of the Three Kingdoms for more.

It's easy to make stuff up though. Guardian of the North Wall. Warden of the Southern Marches. Master of the Gate. Constable of the Swift River.

Remember to distinguish between titles and offices. Offices were jobs, sort of. Titles were who your family was, sort of.

Warden of the Cinque Ports

Astronomer Royal (though that office came about in the Renaissance and wasn't medieval)

Warden of the Royal Mint

If you go to Wikipedia and type in "Lord High" in its search box it'll present you with a bunch of things in there. ... Admiral, Chancellor, Chamberlain, Steward, Almoner, Executioner, ... Same thing for "Warden of".

Specifically' date=' I need a good example of a title that someone who has a license from the King to mint coinage, and a title of someone who is the guardian of a very important pilgrimage. And a few others, just for fun. ;)[/quote']

Master of the Mint (office might or might not carry a snazzy hat with it), Lord Protector of Very Important Pilgrimage (might make a mint by charging protection mo- I mean toll. Yeah, toll.)

For a fun list of royal jobs, look up The Mikado. There's a song listing all the lords...

The High Lord This, and The High Lord That,

The High Lord of Flotsam and Jetsam.

And the High Lord Everything Else,

In case we've forgotton something.

Gilbert and Sullivan were making fun of the British government, of course.

Meh - just go with what sounds good and justify it later. The English mint guy historically was just "Master of the Mint" but his boss was the "Chancellor of the Exchequer". The who-what guy?

So try something like:

"Lord Wossisname, Of the keys to the second gate, holder by ancient tenure, General of the hospital, scourge of heretics. The last two cover the pilgrim angle and are probably self-explanatory. If any player asks about the first part just explain that before the mint was moved to the mountain city of Yak-Butt, the mint had been behind the second court of the royal palace and that officers of the mint still held the ancient title ...

Your players, of course, will remember him as "that guy with the name in that one place ... I think it was near a mountain or something?" :)

Specifically, I need a good example of a title that someone who has a license from the King to mint coinage,

Keeper of the Countenances of Gold and Silver.

Because they are responsible for the stamps/presses bearing the royal image (the "countenance") that is used to mint gold and silver coins.

and a title of someone who is the guardian of a very important pilgrimage. And a few others' date=' just for fun. ;)[/quote']

Lord Protector of the Holy Wayfarers

Guardian of the Peregrine Ways

Guarantor of Passage to ___________________

(place of pilgrimmage)

Lucius Alexander

Master of the House of the Palindromedary

during QE1 it would be the Lord Treasurer

I need to find some examples of real-world noble titles

Specifically, I need a good example of a title that someone who has a license from the King to mint coinage, and a title of someone who is the guardian of a very important pilgrimage. And a few others, just for fun. ;)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Here's what I'm going with...

(EDIT: And rep for everyone who the system lets me rep). :)

Lord Matthieu du Clef, Baron of Foxton, of the Keys to the Second Gate, Holder by Ancient Tenure, Warden of the Royal Mint, Lord Protector of the Pilgrim’s Road and General of the Hospital, Guardian of the Silver Forest, Scourge of Inhumans, High Ambassador of His Royal Highness the King

The Keys to the Second Gate: It is assumed this title refers to the Castle Grayhaven and its two massive gates. No one really seems to know this for sure, though.

Holder by Ancient Tenure: This is a bit of a hyperbolic title, as the Barony of Foxton has been around for less than 200 years, so it’s not exactly “ancient”.

Warden of the Royal Mint: Foxton is one of three places in Demoria where Demorian coins are minted, so the Baron is the Warden of one of those three Royal Mints.

Lord Protector of the Pilgrim’s Road: The Pilgrim’s Road passes through Foxton; the Baron is officially charged with maintaining it and protecting those who travel upon it.

General of the Hospital: As Crow’s Head Mountain is a shrine of Durom, god of healing, it also boasts a famed hospital. Though the Baron does not have any priviliges on Crow’s Head Mountain or the shrine thereon, he is charged with its protection.

Guardian of the Silver Forest: This is a title held by several nobles, all of whom hold lands within the Silver Forest. The King has jurisdiction over the Silver Forest; holders of this title are charged with defending his lands and rights.

Scourge of Inhumans: The Baron’s father picked up this title during the war against the Giants, some 30 years ago.

High Ambassador: The current Baron was the King’s ambassador for many years; he still holds this honorary title.