Very flashy, acrobatic martial arts styles?

CrosshairCollie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Very flashy, acrobatic martial arts styles?

Although not exactly high flying, Drunken Boxing can be rather cinematic. I'll also second everything that tkdguy just said.

Since most fighting styles tend to limit flashy things like acrobatics, Capoeira is probably the best bet.

There's also Parkour as an option, if you've seen B13.

Out of curiosity have any of your guys used parkour for your characters? I have for one or two, basically I gave them:

Breakfall

Leaping (with the Accurate adder)

Running

Environmental movement

Anything I've missed?

I also tend to have "use running as another mode of movement" naked advantage, and but it as flight (limited) and superleap. This allows for run, jump, bounce up a wall all in the same movement.

As for flashy martial arts - Wu shu, Capoeira and Tae Kwon do are you most in the air or acrobatic kickers.

Knowing very little about Martial Arts as I do, I ask the question here ...

What are some very flashy, martial arts styles (preferably non-fictional)?

Oh, I can go on for quite some time here... I'll include some choice clips from youtube ;)

Traditional Capoeira (known as Capoeira Angola these days) isn't really all that flashy and actually spends a lot of time low to the ground. It's slower and tricky. The more modern stuff is highly acrobatic and does a ton of fancy spinning and jumping kicks, handstands and showy flips. A lot of movements have been exchanged with gymnastics, breakdancing and other kicking arts, like Wu Shu and Tae Kwon Do. The modern form is the sort of stuff most people think of when you say capoeira. This clip starts with some more traditional stufff and get higher and fancier as it goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-TKPVrW3pI&feature=related

Wu Shu is the artsy post-Communist version of several blended kung fu styles. It integrates movements from dance and acrobatics, focusing heavily on high kicks, fancy low spinning kicks, leaping kicks and hand strikes that are typically wide and circular or delivered in lighting fast sequences. Lots of very fancy weapon forms as well, with tons of leaps, spins and fancy flourishes. Speed and form are supreme here (though various "internal" style performances are done slowly and emphasize balance and flexibility). Kung Fu in general has a large variety of styles that have amazingly showy elements, though keep in mind what you see in the movies is often completely made up. For example, Jackie Chan actually made up most of the movements in Drunken Master 2 and they have nothing to do with the much less spectacular movements of actual Drunken kung fu forms (of which there are several).

Silat has a number of forms that feature very flashy techniques, though not all of them are high flying . Harimau hand trapping techniques are particularly complex and can be quite amazing to see, though they are also known for their fancy ground based take downs. Lots of fancy weapon forms as well, though the movements tend to be tighter and shorter range. Sportive Silat sparring tends to look like Tae Kwon Do with takedowns, while the paired forms resemble kung fu and pro wrestling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjC32EY0gm0

Speaking of Tae Kwon Do started off many years ago looking very much like traditional Karate, but has since grown into an entirely divergent art that emphasizes kicking above all else. High kicks, spinning kicks and jumping variations there of are what the style is known for and they actually invented many of the fanciest modern kicks, like the 540 and the 720. Many schools teach very acrobatic breaking demonstrations and creative forms.

And here's some Olympic style matches, which practically look like a different art ;)

Muay Boran is traditional Muay Thai and features many fancy, risky moves that fighters would rarely try in an actual ring fight (like the climbing knees, bounce kicks and spin kicks). Also, the Cobra Punch (known as the Superman Punch in MMA) is an actual jumping punch that comes from Muay Thai. Due to the influence of Tony Jaa's films, many people expect even more fancy and acrobatic movements out of Muay Boran practitioners (Jaa draws techniques and influence from several other arts, but dresses things up with a Thai flavor to sell to the home audience):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8u_mMsALo8

Tricking is a highly acrobatic modern form that developed on the American Karate Forms circuit in the 90's. It blends martial arts moves from various styles (Tae Kwon do, Capoeira, Wu Shu) with acrobatics also from various sources (Gymnaztics, Breakdancing, Capoeira, Wu Shu). The "martial" aspect is often underplayed a bit as people try to one up one another, for example executing as many aerial spins as possible in the process of delivering a jumping spin kick.

In term of grappling arts, Sport SAMBO has an incredible repertoire of fancy throws, including many leaping and rolling entries into submissions like the flying armbar or Victor's Roll.

Some of those fling and rolling techniques:

And here's an actual demo:

There are a variety of grappling styles that use very complex and fancy sweeeps, reversals and submissions. One noteworthy example would be Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu. Dave Camarillo is well known for his successful competitive use of flying takedowns and invented this one:

Then you have things like this:

Also, Parkour is not seen as a martial arts style by it's founder, but as a compliment to martial arts, as it's the flight portion of fight or flight. Parkour focuses on moving from point a to point b as quickly and efficiently as possible. Freerunning is similar, but more acrobatic. It tends to focus on beautiful movement and showing off more than on pure efficiency of motion. While many traceurs do know some martial arts, it's not really a part of the curriculum.

I suppose I should stop now...

Out of curiosity have any of your guys used parkour for your characters? I have for one or two, basically I gave them:

Breakfall

Leaping (with the Accurate adder)

Running

Environmental movement

Anything I've missed?

You missed Climbing and Acrobatics. KS: Parkour could be included for those that know the history and terminology, CK or those that know their city well. Possibly French as a second language.

Frankly, I mostly just use Flight, No Turn Mode, with a very well defined -1/4 limitation "Parkour"

It's basically a variation of Only In Contact With A Surface. The character can use it for normall running, though they can't run on water, straight up a kite string or balance on things that couldn't realistically hold his weight like a speedster might be able to. They can make perfectly aimed leaps, even changing direction in mid leap if they have something to bounce off of. Normal human characters can only buy a max of 20m of Flight with Parkour and can only use half of their meters of Flight on any single uninterrupted Leap. This ability allows them to balance on just about anything that can actually bear their weight, so they can perch on ledges and run across narrow beams or high wires. They can of course still use it to run straight up or along walls, though they have to end their movement on a flat surface or otherwise have something to hold on to. I also let them use it to reduce falling velocity prior to making a Breakfall roll, to simulate (slower) climbing along ceilings, up treacherous surfaces or even to perform brachiation/swinging in an appropriate environment.

I sometimes add RSR for a bit of extra realism ;)

Silat has a number of forms that feature very flashy techniques, though not all of them are high flying . Harimau hand trapping techniques are particularly complex and can be quite amazing to see, though they are also known for their fancy ground based take downs. Lots of fancy weapon forms as well, though the movements tend to be tighter and shorter range. Sportive Silat sparring tends to look like Tae Kwon Do with takedowns, while the paired forms resemble kung fu and pro wrestling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjC32EY0gm0

Wow. That is perhaps one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time! Rep!

La Rose.

Yeah' date=' I was pretty much looking for 'parkour with real punches and kicks added'. I probably would have asked for that in the OP, but I can never remember the word 'parkour'.[/quote']

Just remember that Parkour is for those who are Hard-kour. :)

La Rose.

Yeah' date=' I was pretty much looking for 'parkour with real punches and kicks added'. I probably would have asked for that in the OP, but I can never remember the word 'parkour'.[/quote']

think of it as a pun on spider-mans real name "peter parkor"

Besides what was said' date=' under Kung Fu look at Monkey Style, its is very acrobatic.[/quote']

Depends on the substyle. Stone Monkey isn't as flashy as Drunken or Lost, for example. There are many different kind of Monky Kung fu.

Here's an example of Tai Shing Pek KWar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPbUwtTVw3k

While this is some Monkey style Wu Shu:

And some styles of Karate have been more acrobatic in the last decades.

Karate's drawn a lot of influence from other arts in the last 40 years or so.

Back in the day (were' talking 1850-1940 or so), Karate didn't even have kicks above the belt.

The dramatic changes are attributed to Gigo Funakoshi influence on Shotokan, sparring rules (because no one with any sense of self preservation kicks high when the groin is an legal full contact target) as well as the influence of other arts. It's one of the things that made Shotokan so different from the older Okinawan styles. Shotokan is also the source of Tae Kwon Do, though few Korean martial artists wish to acknowledge that... Things eventually came full circle though.

The arts changed dramtically due to contact with one another in various open style competitions that started in the 60's and 70's. The forms circuit changed dramatically, especially in the 80's and 90's when people were allowed to get MUCH more creative with their forms and started liberally borrowing flashy moves form gymnastics and other martial arts like Kung Fu, Wu Shu, Capoeira and TKD. End result is you see things like this from Sport Karate guys:

As I said, the Tricking movement grew out of the forms circles in the late 90's...