Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

I didn't like Dune. I wanted everyone to die. House Atreides was almost as Harkonen, and I wanted to free the galaxy of all their houses.

I like Ewoks. I'm pretty sure that's a loss of cred.

I play no MMORPGs. I tried one (runescape, runequest, something like that) and it didn't do much for me.

I didn't like the John Carter books, or anything by ERB. Nudity just isn't that interesting.

I like Harry Potter fanfic better than official Harry Potter. (methods of rationality)

I thought the new My Little Pony was cute, but I don't feel a real need to watch it. I don't see what the big deal is.

I thought the new My Little Pony was cute, but I don't feel a real need to watch it. I don't see what the big deal is.

That brings up one for me - I never had GI joe toys, or Transformer toys, never read the comics, never watched the cartoons. The first time I watched any media related to the two franchises were the recent live action movies. I liked them a lot.

I liked the Ewoks too, and didn't mind Jar Jar Binks at all.

Y

Ok, I hate Star Wars. I used to like (but not love) it, but merchandising overexposure and prequels killed it completely for me.

Yeah. Now say something that isn't geeky. The closest I can come is to say that I've never played a console game. Oh wait, I stopped watching X-Files after the first episode.

Maybe you've never read The Lord of the Rings. Maybe you didn't like The Lord of the Rings.

Yeah, both of these. 10 pages into the LotR book and I was asleep, 10 minutes into the movie, same result.

Never read a Harry Potter book or seen a Harry Potter movie. I've never read a fantasy novel.

I like the Star Wars prequels better than the original trilogy.

Another vote for 'Never saw the Matrix, never wanted to'.

Never saw Dune, never wanted to.

Joss Whedon has never written anything I've found remotely interesting.

I thought X-Files, Battlestar Galactica (new), and Babylon 5 were junk.

Never had any interest in Mythbusters.

Probably more to come. Heck, I'll use this thread since I'm not really sure what most people consider 'geeky'.

There is a ton of stuff I have not read/do/watch but there is so little time. For example I have never watched Naruto but I do not think my Anime/Ninja cred is any less. So I will focus on what I have done that will destroy my cred.

1. I liked the Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and found the first three books of the Twilight series not as bad as some people. (been warn of the 4th book)

2. At the time of its release I did not mind Highlander 2. But it has been years and I might have changed my mind.

3. I also like Taylor Swift, Paramore, Deluka and other young bands. I hope I never stop loving new music.

4. I read do read some fiction with nothing supernatural in it at all. Though I tend to like modern stories when I do so

One last thing, I hate when people assume that because you like A, it must automatically overlap with B in a Vim diagram. Oh George, I met a guy who is really into comic. I bet he would love roleplaying.

What establishes geek cred anyway? There is so much out there: comics, movies, books, TV shows, video games, etc. that no one could possibly keep up with all of it, so if you have never seen Dr. Who or read The Hobbit that just says to me that you were busy with other stuff. And is hating Jar Jar Binks make you a pure geek because you think Lucas screwed up his own vision, or does liking Jar Jar make you even more completely geeky because if it is Lucas it has to be good?

To my mind, watching Star Trek doesn't make you a geek. Learning Klingon does. It is a matter of how absorbed you become in fantasy worlds that determines your geek-level. I have never been in the hip crowd to be sure, but I think I officially stopped being a geek when I had kids and didn't have time for it anymore.

*cracks knuckles*

I hate Star Trek.

I have no desire to read any of the following (and may add to this list later): Harry Potter, Pern, Anita Blake, Harry Dresden, Hunger Games, a majority of comics and manga

I have no desire to watch any of the following (and may add to this list later): Big Bang Theory, Chuck, BSG, BBC!Sherlock, Heroes, Lost, Torchwood, The Fades, Misfits, Primeval, Fringe, Buffy, Dollhouse, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, a majority of anime

I have no desire to play any of the following (and may add to this list later): Mass Effect, any Star Wars game, Portal, Team Fortress, Pathfinder, White Wolf, Dragon Age, Skyrim, RIFT, Rifts, Paranoia, D&D, any Final Fantasy game and its various knock-offs.

"Indie Press" still doesn't mean "Good".

While I appreciate Russell T. Davies and Steven Moffat in their roles in relaunching "Doctor Who", they are both overrated as writers and have too much obsession with shipping their favorite pet characters (RTD: Rose, Moff: River Song) to the detriment of the TITLE CHARACTER HIMSELF. RTD focused FAR too much on wangst upon wangst while Moff went in the opposite direction by making nearly all alien threats as practically toothless, but never in The Wrong whereas Humanity Are Cruel, Heartless Villainous Bastards. Furthermore, both men have VERY skeevy issues when it comes to mothers. RTD think mothers are shrieking, soulless harpies, while Moff fetishizes the mother as pure and sainted and the Only Worthwhile Thing Women Should Be Noted For.

Bronies creep me out.

I've never read Pern and have seen a grand total of thirty seconds of Dr. Who footage.

I don't care for continuity. Yes, I like to reminisce about good comics, books, and movies, but I don't get my panties in a bunch when the movie doesn't follow the book exactly, or when they change Spidey's costume. I like reboots and new takes on old stories.

I like cars. No one else here seems to be into cars.

I've never read Pern and have seen a grand total of thirty seconds of Dr. Who footage.

I don't care for continuity. Yes, I like to reminisce about good comics, books, and movies, but I don't get my panties in a bunch when the movie doesn't follow the book exactly, or when they change Spidey's costume. I like reboots and new takes on old stories.

I liked the Cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_SvU6Puyj8&feature=related

and who could forget this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw

I watch Top Gear now and then. And the Mecum auctions. Once in a while I flip through one of those sports car mags.

I don't get Top Gear at all. I tried, but it's just beyond me.

One last thing, I hate when people assume that because you like A, it must automatically overlap with B in a Vim diagram. Oh George, I met a guy who is really into comic. I bet he would lover roleplaying.

Amen! (Even if I've been guilty of committing this sin myself upon occasion :o )

That brings up one for me - I never had GI joe toys, or Transformer toys, never read the comics, never watched the cartoons. The first time I watched any media related to the two franchises were the recent live action movies. I liked them a lot.

I liked the Ewoks too, and didn't mind Jar Jar Binks at all.

I wasn't allowed GI Joe toys when I was a young child. My parents bought me one of the Mego Planet of the Apes action figures instead (the Chimpanzee scientist Cornelius, of course). Mom was heavily against the Vietnam war at the time. Likewise, I had few gun toys, though she did buy me a Type 2 Phaser water pistol.

I loved The Hobbit. I couldn't get past the first few pages in the LOTR trilogy. Saw the movies, and enjoyed them.

I prefer the original BSG. I remember my parents going out to buy a new TV specifically to watch the premiere (our old TV blew several tubes about a year before--read a lot of books and listened to a lot of radio that year). Related, I enjoy the Buck Rogers from the same time period.

I became bored with the X-Files when they moved away from the Weekly World News plots to the heavy conspiracy plots.

I am only now watching DS9. I had seen a few early episodes during its first run, and it didn't really interest me. I'm finding that the signal to noise ratio is improving steadily as I hit 2nd season.

Anime doesn't really do a lot for me. Sure, there was a time that I'd run home from school to watch "Battle of the Planets", and I do like some of the Myazaki, but it isn't something I actively seek out.

I burned out on comics in the mid-80s. Part of it was the quality of the writing. Part of it was the price. A lot of it was the repetition. I'm slowly reading some comics now, but nothing really current. It's mostly trade paperbacks or graphic novels.

I'm bored by most things featuring zombies, werewolves or vampires. When I mentioned my dislike of zombies at a (fannish) New Years party, one of the other attendees took it to mean that I must really prefer "fast" or "slow" zombies. It was difficult for him to contemplate that I really didn't need to see either.

I've probably seen "The Matrix" 40 or 50 times. I've only watched it once in order, though, and I wasn't all that impressed. The rest of the times, it was on a loop on the video wall at the Circuit City where I worked. "Spiderman 2" also gets pretty boring when on a loop.

I love music of (almost) all types, but I never really got into the various "Guitar Hero" or "Rock Band" type games.

JoeG

Don't like anime, and have never read or watched anything with Mecha in it.

Didn't care for DS9.

Didn't hate Twilght - except for the idea of sparkly vampires.

The below were due to difficulty or inabilty of seeing the shows on a regular basis:

No interest in Dresden Files.

Not huge fan of Doctor Who.

What establishes geek cred anyway? There is so much out there: comics, movies, books, TV shows, video games, etc. that no one could possibly keep up with all of it, so if you have never seen Dr. Who or read The Hobbit that just says to me that you were busy with other stuff. And is hating Jar Jar Binks make you a pure geek because you think Lucas screwed up his own vision, or does liking Jar Jar make you even more completely geeky because if it is Lucas it has to be good?

To my mind, watching Star Trek doesn't make you a geek. Learning Klingon does. It is a matter of how absorbed you become in fantasy worlds that determines your geek-level. I have never been in the hip crowd to be sure, but I think I officially stopped being a geek when I had kids and didn't have time for it anymore.

QFT. I read a ton of SF, but it's mostly modern stuff nobody's heard of, except for hardcore SF literary snobs. Does that make me a lesser geek with no geek cred or an uber-geek amongst geekdom? I have no idea, and I don't really give a flying f**k in a rolling donut.

Currently gritting my teeth thru the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. The writer/producer commentaries are informative, but not in a good way -- they just serve to confirm any lingering suspicions that the authors had no idea where they were going, and most of the major turning points were completely desperate author @$$-pulls. I'd better get some serious fracking geek cred for sitting through this crap, 'cuz I'm not getting much else from it....

I watch Top Gear now and then. And the Mecum auctions. Once in a while I flip through one of those sports car mags.

Ah, but does anyone here drive a modified vehicle? I put some Tein coilovers in my car last year. It's actually too low now but they don't adjust to go any higher. But cornering is fun!

QFT. I read a ton of SF, but it's mostly modern stuff nobody's heard of, except for hardcore SF literary snobs. Does that make me a lesser geek with no geek cred or an uber-geek amongst geekdom? I have no idea, and I don't really give a flying f**k in a rolling donut.

For what its worth, either way I was impressed at Gen Con when you went down the list. Very humbling for me, but mostly in a good way :)

Would it be more or less Geek cred to say George Lucas is dead to me? After picking up the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD and effectively being forced to buy the digitally destroyed... err... remastered versions in the same case I've refused to put any more money towards the franchise and George Lucas. I admit I had a moment of weakness in seeing Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Never forget.

Never again.

More cred... definitely more cred